Meryl Davis & Charlie White: What’s Next for the Olympians | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis & Charlie White: What’s Next for the Olympians

Alba

Record Breaker
Last year was a big one for Meryl Davis and Charlie White. The ice dancers, who have been partners for nearly two decades, broke world records in their free dance and short programs at the 2014 Olympic winter games, bringing home their life-long goal—a gold medal, and the first ever for the U.S. in the sport’s history. In the time since, White and Davis, who we rooted for on Dancing with the Stars post-win, have shown no signs of slowing down. With an upcoming wedding to plan (White will wed fellow ice dancer Tanith Belbin this spring with Meryl acting as bridesmaid!), a foundation in the works for Davis, the Stars on Ice tour, and plans for a children’s book featuring two young skaters you may have heard of, we were lucky to sit down with the skaters in a rare moment of stasis. The duo, both students at the University of Michigan, fielded our questions, including most importantly, if they’ll be competing in Pyeongchang, South Korea come 2018!

The interview here: http://news.instyle.com/2015/02/08/meryl-davis-and-charlie-white-whats-next-for-the-olympians/

BlackPack

Medalist
What's next.... impregnating Tanith?:cheer: We need to get the next generation of ice dancers in line...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Wow! There is so much good stuff in that interview. Here, for Michelle Kwan Fans :cheer:

Meryl Davis : I’m starting a foundation and I called Michelle Kwan the other day to ask her advice. Obviously she’s an icon in figure skating, but she’s done amazing things since as well, and she was just saying that she always had this goal of getting to a place in her life where she would go in for a job interview, give everyone her resume, and at the end she’d be like, “Oh yeah, and I was an Olympic figure skater as well.” She was saying she has so much else to give, and so many other things that qualify her for a job, or whatever it is she’s trying to achieve. She didn’t go away from her competitive skating career like, “look what I’ve done! This is my life’s achievement,” which I thought was a really brilliant way of looking at it.

and I loved Tanith and Charlie's way of picking where to honeymoon :laugh2:

Did you decide where you’re honeymooning?
Charlie White: New Zealand. When we got engaged in Hawaii we asked the native Hawaiians where they vacationed and they were like, “Oh yeah, New Zealand is where it’s at.” So we’ll go to Hawaii for a little bit to kind of break up the long trip, and then head on to New Zealand.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The interviews are SO much more interesting now that they aren't following the script to the letter. Their personalities are shining through more clearly.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It really bothers me when people start asking other to have kids or get pregnant, what do we care about those things?

BlackPack

Medalist
It really bothers me when people start asking other to have kids or get pregnant, what do we care about those things?

Any more than people caring about what other people do? Somebody always has a problem with whatever is being said.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Any more than people caring about what other people do? Somebody always has a problem with whatever is being said.

Not really, having a baby is something that really only mathers to Charlie and Tanith.

And what should having a baby be the next big thing in their life.

They could decide to graduate first, they could choose to never have childrem.

BlackPack

Medalist
Not really, having a baby is something that really only mathers to Charlie and Tanith.

And what should having a baby be the next big thing in their life.

They could decide to graduate first, they could choose to never have childrem.

Again, that was a facetious baby comment that was taken too seriously.

Do Tanith and Charlie, 2 elite champions, seem malleable and easily susceptible to comments of random fans? They wouldn't get to where they are if they were easily influenced/pressured by others or had no minds of their own.

If anything, you're pushing your own agenda about what people can or cannot say due to personal preferences.

No one is imposing anything on them. People say that stuff about babies when others get engaged/married for thousands of years. At some point well-adjusted adults learn to differentiate their wants and needs from the agendas of others.

I'm pretty sure Tanith or Charlie will laugh it off or take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited: