Why would somebody bring a baby to a wedding? Rant inside | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why would somebody bring a baby to a wedding? Rant inside

guinevere

Final Flight
Longhornliz said:
I think babies are a little bit of a different story, especially fresh from the oven ones. Often couples would not leave their newborns with a sitter and wouldnt be able to attend the wedding at all.... so in circumstances where they are very close the bride or groom you would think that they would prefer to have them their with the baby than not at all.
I understand what you're saying here, but if someone close to the bride and groom has a freshly baked bun, they would probably exressly invite the bun too -- or else they really don't want a baby at their wedding. Either way, the bride & groom's wishes are tantamount.

I've also been at weddings where children were specifically included, and those can be great. If children are invited, having them there would not ruin the day for the bride and groom. As for anyone else who gets annoyed, well, who cares?

guinevere

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding many years ago. I had a 10 month old and the wedding was out of town, so we brought him along. During the ceremony, my husband had our son in a stroller outside of the church, along with several other parents of infants. They chatted, strolled the babies around, and probably had just as nice a time outside as we did inside! Ha! There were young children at my wedding, but I don't remember them causing a problem..........that came later by the adults who had a wee bit too much champagne.............:rolleye: 42

Lotta

On the Ice
HAHAHAHAA! I agree that babies and toddlers are a nuissance sometimes although they ARE cute when they sleep. ;) Not just in weddings, but like in church, plays, graduations, etc. There have been times when a baby is crying like a madman or a toddler is screaming and I just wanted to turn around and yell "SHUT THE $#%@ UP!!!!" *LOLZ*

I've been in a wedding before where there HAVE been little kids. But I was surprised they were well behaved!

Blue Bead

Medalist
Uninvited children coming to weddings strikes an off-key chord with me, too. When my husband and I were married 28 years ago we specifically stipulated that no children younger than 14 years were to show up. Yet one of my husband's sisters brought her, then, 2 year old daughter to the ceremony and the reception. I wasn't very happy about it and neither was my husband, and we made our objections known. We offered special arrangements to put the child in the care of a trusted friend of mine who was very experienced in the care of young children, and we were to pick up the cost of the babysitting. My sister-in-law threw a hissy fit. To keep the peace with my new in-laws, I allowed the child to attend. But, boy, did I hear from all the people who had children and couldn't bring them! When I talked to my sister-in-law about the situation all she could say was "that was their problem!" But the final straw happened when the child darted in front of one of the catering staff who made some really "fancy" moves to avoid dumping a whole huge tray of filled champagne glasses. Needless to say the caterer was not one bit happy. Luckily they didn't charge me extra for the hassle of putting up with the child.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, my gosh! I just remembered that I brought RG Jr. to two weddings when she was a baby--but on both occasions, she was specifically invited because attending the events involved travelling--never easy with a baby. I had no family anywhere near me, and leaving an infant with a stranger for a weekend would have been out of the question.

The first one was outdoors on a sweltering hot day in San Diego (I was living in Los Angeles at the time), but the reception was inside a fancy club. Would you believe she slept through the ENTIRE reception despite the incredibly loud music? The bride, still one of my very best friends, actually cried when she laid eyes on her (age 3 mos.) and said, "She's the most beautiful baby I've ever seen!" The second wedding took place in Arizona on July 5th (What is with my friends wanting to get married during heat waves?) and I stood at the very back of the chapel in case she cried or fussed (she didn't). If she had, I would have been outside in a heartbeat. She was an angel during the reception, I can still see her dancing in Daddy's arms (age 1).

But I reiterate, she was specifically invited to these events. If she had not been invited, I would TOTALLY have understood and I would have trusted that my friends would have understood that we would not have been able to attend. It's wrong to attend with a child when the bride and groom prefer that they do not attend. I admit that I'm so glad that my friends wanted us to attend enough to want the baby to attend as well, and that they trusted me to do the right thing if she fussed.

Last edited: