2015 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program March 6 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2015 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program March 6

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Unfortunately, Denis Margalik ARG just barely missed the TES required to go to senior Worlds. Chih-I Tsao TPE who also hoped to go, also missed it big time. That means that the maximum number of male skaters in senior Worlds will be 31 (only!).

It is very surprising that only 1 out of 4 Canadian single skaters managed to make top 24. I cannot remember such a performance by Canadian skaters for some time. Hope all four will not get discouraged.

The deadline for entries was March 2, so I'm not sure if they could have used junior world scores toward meeting TES minimums. But I'm not sure.

Is Shoma's score the highest ever SP score for JWC?

Yes, by a lot. Joshua Farris and Jason Brown had the highest SP (75.84) and FS scores (159.09), respectively, at JWC 2013. They kept those records until JGPF this season. Sota Yamamoto broke the record with a score of 76.14 and Shoma Uno broke the FS record in winning JGPF with a score of 163.06.

And then Shoma broke Sota's record with his score today of 84.87. For the record, Shoma's PCS at JGPF was 34.14 (vs. 38.06 at the SP in this event). So yeah, a huge boost since then.

Last edited:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Yes, by a lot. Joshua Farris and Jason Brown had the highest SP (75.84) and FS scores (159.09), respectively, at JWC 2013. They kept those records until JGPF this season. Sota Yamamoto broke the record with a score of 76.14 and Shoma Uno broke the FS record in winning JGPF with a score of 163.06.

And then Shoma broke Sota's record with his score today of 84.87. For the record, Shoma's PCS at JGPF was 34.14 (vs. 38.06 at the SP in this event). So yeah, a huge boost since then.

Wow. That's insane. With his score in 4cc, if his quad and triple axel becomes even more consistent, I can see him breaking top 5 or even the podium at worlds next year.

Last edited:

betat

Rinkside
Also, here are the individual components:

Short Program

Free Skating

Looks like the judges were very excited at Four Continents. Lol Probably the "senior event vs. junior event" mindset...
That's a quite big jump up.
But to be fair, he was held down in terms of pcs early on this season probably the judges were judging him in a junior mindset. I'm not saying he was getting bad marks but it was lower than what he deserved. Especially when you compared it to others who were competing in the same competition.
In terms of the score in this competition, the pcs was high but so as the others. Looking at the actual skating, I'm ok with him having 3 or 4 point lead from the others on pcs. He does have great edges choreography and a way to interpret the music.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't hold this view at all (as you probably know).

I know, and I didn't mean you with that statement :) Of course it's fine to analyze the scores and criticize them. I think Shoma was overscored too. I just don't like the way a valid point is made absurd because people go into drama-mode and talk about conspiracies or proclaim the results of the next 4 years.

About the junior records: to be fair, the scores in the senior event have gone up a lot too. I mean, the SP world record progressed from 93+ at 2011 worlds to 95 at SA 2012 to 98+ at 2013 worlds to 101+ at the Olympics 2014. That's an 8 point progression over 3 years, and even as a Hanyu fan, a good deal of that is simply score inflation. So I guess maybe it's not just related to Shoma being overscored, but the judges starting a similar inflation trend to the senior men.

gallavich said:
And is it ok for people to do that to Russian ladies? They seem to get it 10x worse, from what I've observed. I mean, they all get picked apart over tenths of points whenever someone else's fave is "robbed." I can't bring myself to care that much or I wouldn't enjoy this sport at all.

Definitely not. It annoys me just as much. It's just that with the ladies, I had given up following the discussions when this whole "wrong edge" business came up. (I'm still not sure I really want to go back into the Ladies LP thread, since I actually think the podium had the right order... I feel like I won't get happy reading some of those posts as well)

icekiwi

On the Ice
My two cents opinion, may not agree with everyone.

Bo Yang - should have won - 3 quads vs zero quad. Jin has improved a lot. His jumps should have + GOE's too, very high up and good landing edges. Yes, a bit more presentation & choreography but I thought he has improved a lot with his skating quality. I was very impressed with him now compared to last year.
Shoma - PC's were way too inflated to allow him to win by the judges. Zero quad in both short and long programs. Those marks were a bit shocking. Even the other jumps were really not that great. They landed correctly, that's all. Come on, in the senior men's, that is a definite 'bye bye' down to 6th or 7th place. At Senior men's, quads are worth a lot and 3A and 3/3 combos..

Last edited:

Poice

Final Flight
Zero quad in both short and long programs. Those marks were a bit shocking.

Juniors can't do quads in SP ;) Boyang said earlier that if quads would be allowed in SP he certainly would put one or two in it :)

Last edited: