Best music for a skater's/couple's 'Swan Song' | Golden Skate

Best music for a skater's/couple's 'Swan Song'

GF2445

Record Breaker
Imagine you were competing in your last season, what music would you choose for your dream short program/short dance, and free skate/free dance?

You can also refer to actual skater's 'swan song' routines.
If so, please post with video links.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
At this point it might be getting a rap as a warhorse (very mildly), but "Feeling Good" (any version, really) is an interesting way to end a career.

It can be used to begin a new career like I/M this season, but I remember it very fondly for its use in another sport. Sandra Izbasa used it in 2013 for the last competitive floor routine of her career at the gymnastics world championships in Antwerp. It was supposed to be her crowning moment after her 2-time OGM accomplishments as well as playing a huge role in helping Romania earn bronze team medals in Beijing and London. Kind of sad that she would have won a world medal until her last pass, but oh well. The song speaks of new beginnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mASe6fU-M

Last edited:

hidekimotozua

Rinkside
Literally The Swan/ Dying Swan as a swan song, or Sinantra's My Way for a more masculine skater. Or just Plushenko it and do a ''Best of me medley''. Could be a bit egotistical, but when you have a career like his, I'd say it's perfectly fine.

Although if I was a competing skater, I'd probably be a crappy one. So I'd just skate to something ridiculous, maybe cross dress and skate to Sweet Transvestite/Time Warp from Rocky Horror or a Whitney Houston medley. :laugh:

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
When Mao retires formally, it should be "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" by Edith Piaf.

donezo

On the Ice
Oh yes. That was very great music.

In that similiar note- Pang and Tong's free program to io ci saro is divine.

Weirdly, I thought their Les Miz program was the perfect swan song, but this new one is wonderful too! We are blessed to have this pair around, even if they probably won't win a medal in Shanghai. Just beautiful, expressive skating.

"Moonlight Sonata" was so perfect for Gordeeva/Grinkov. Ditto "A Man and a Woman" for Klimova/Ponomarenko. Beautiful, mature, reflective of their journeys and their relationships. I can't articulate what made those programs so magical, but they were divine.

I'd also add "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" for Katarina Witt, both as a comeback and a swan song. What a moving tribute to the people of Sarajevo. It felt like her career had come full circle.

Last edited:

elysium

On the Ice
I liked the choreography and music of The Way We Were, pity that Dubé and Davison made so many mistakes at the Olympics.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
something, like the way we were, only that program, that performance, belong to that pair of skater at that moment

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I find it touching that Pechalat/Bourzat went back to their 'Time Of My Life' exhibition for Sochi and Worlds. It was very meaningful, at least for me. Every time they do it, it really impacts me.

donezo

On the Ice
Speaking of Pechalat/Bourzat, I think "Little Prince" was an excellent swan song for them. It emphasized their creativity and their storytelling ability, which is what always set them apart from the top North American teams for me. I really miss them.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Speaking of Pechalat/Bourzat, I think "Little Prince" was an excellent swan song for them. It emphasized their creativity and their storytelling ability, which is what always set them apart from the top North American teams for me. I really miss them.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not much into The Little Prince (I read it as a child, but that's all), but P/B's free dance moved me so much when they performed it at Olympics and Worlds.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Easily the best free dance of the IJS era. In my opinion, of course.

Their Saitama performance was perfection on ice. Sad they never got the respect they deserved.

tjskate

Rinkside
I think that Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini (my all-time favorite pair) did it perfectly when they did their farewell gala in 1996:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkKAW1RQy9s

To Sondhiem's "Not A Day Goes By" - my apologies that it's cut off in the beginning; I couldn't find a better copy than this one. This always puts a lump in my throat :-(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
THe Final Countdown might be a good lively choice - didn't Valova and Vasiliev do that near the end of their careers (I thought I saw a video to that affect); Yesterday (Beatles), Unforgettable, Pray for Me (Here is where the road divides; Here is where we realize the Sculpting of the father's great design, but I know the road he chose for me is not the road he chose for you) by Michael W SMith or Friends (Cause a life time's not to long to live as friends) done by Michael W Smith are kind of nice, emotional songs to say farewell for Christians, We are the Champions or that song from the Sound of Music - something about goodbye, farewell...GOod night.