Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What the hell...:shrug: I need a valid reason!!!

Someone call Trankov, he'll have the answer. ;)

People always want to assume the worst but I don't believe they are splitting, not now. I think Ksenia is such a perfectionist that she may not be willing to lose gold again, and they know they would need more difficult elements to win against D/R. We'll see what happens.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't mind what a diva Stolbova is--I like to see that she has some personality, even if it's not altogether positive.

But I really dislike this attitude of "if we won't win gold we should withdraw." Which isn't the attitude being expressed for certain (we're just speculating), but if that's the case then it's very disappointing. Ice is slippery, D/R could have a total meltdown at Worlds, and S/K are missing out on the win. I respect the desire to win, but to choose not to compete just because the chance at first place seems slim is ridiculous. They'll never know if they don't compete.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think they're splitting up. Sure she was upset but during the Euros gala they were back to normal. They might not be all "sugary sweet" with each other but they seem to have a strong relationship. The only thing I can think of is that they know they won't win gold against D/R and they don't want another world silver, and instead want a headstart for next season. Because if the rumours are true, they plan to considerably up their tech content next season.

What is the basis for this statement?

I agree she may have dumped him, but I'm also not discounting that HE may have dumped HER.

I base that last part on this: If she had treated me that way in front of a global audience, I'd have dumped her.

Who needs to deal with that attitude every day for years to come?

I think it would be far easier for him to find another partner than for her. There are tons of good Russian ladies, far more than can reasonably hope for a career in singles. Somebody would switch to skate with him.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Someone call Trankov, he'll have the answer. ;)
People always want to assume the worst but I don't believe they are splitting, not now. I think Ksenia is such a perfectionist that she may not be willing to lose gold again, and they know they would need more difficult elements to win against D/R. We'll see what happens.
Maybe Trankov will give us the true reason when he comments for WC...

gmyers

Record Breaker
But there isn't even a partner available at her level. . . .

This might a situation where she thinks its better to be in a building stage than a lost all confidence stage. She was finished at euros! It looked like she hated him and never wanted to skate with him again.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Rooting for a Kavaguti/Sminov win with their fab free skate!

Me too! But the podium looks like D/R + 1 Chinese pair + _____. Could be Yuko & Sasha (yay!) or another Chinese pair sneaks in. Perhaps a valedictory medal for P/T?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Please, PLEASE let Trankov provide commentary and "out" the reason why ... !!! I need answers!

What is happening ... ?!?!?!!

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Who needs to deal with that attitude every day for years to come?

How do you want to know what kind of attitude she has in all-day training life? I'm pretty sure with the heat of competition it's a different game. He managed to deal with her so far.

I don't think they'll split. It's a unexpected and kinda weird decision, but if they want to get a headstart for next season, so be it. They will need something to keep them in the game next season if/when V/T come back, and if they want to bank on getting harder technical elements over the momentum of maybe-world champions, than go for it. They did have a long olympic season - doing the Warsaw Cup, two GPs, Universiade, Nationals, Euros, Olympics + team event and then worlds. And maybe they realized they miscalculated for this season and are losing steam already.

whatif

Medalist
Stolbova is pulling a "Plushenko"? I see.

This is so lame and yet so unsurprising. I just hate this team now. Well, at least K/S chances improve exponentially now.

jcoates

Medalist
I guess this is a signal that they plan to up their technical content to match the higher bar set this season by their competitors.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Who would withdraw from Worlds only because it's not 100% sure that they can win?
Something must be seriously wrong with at least one of them. Mental issues maybe?
I don't think that the russian fed would let them withdraw for any other reason. And they have gone through a lot in the last couple of months and Europeans were definitly not easy for them ... including all the negative reactions that were unfair on her.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I wonder if this is another case of a Russian man saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to the stereotypical Russian diva?

Or, maybe after Euros, she's dumping him for being unreliable.

They have been super consistent this season; most of their mistakes have been from Stolbova. I mean, singling the toe loop from Grand Prix, she stepped out of the throw flip, and although Fedor made a big mistake I can't see why this would be the reason...

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I don't mind what a diva Stolbova is--I like to see that she has some personality, even if it's not altogether positive.

But I really dislike this attitude of "if we won't win gold we should withdraw." Which isn't the attitude being expressed for certain (we're just speculating), but if that's the case then it's very disappointing. Ice is slippery, D/R could have a total meltdown at Worlds, and S/K are missing out on the win. I respect the desire to win, but to choose not to compete just because the chance at first place seems slim is ridiculous. They'll never know if they don't compete.

After there 4CC, they seem to be going downhill. Let's think about this. Anger can't be the reason, if anything it should motivate them more. They definitely had a shot at a medal, it was pretty much a guarantee, the only people that could beat them were s/k and d/r and thats really it, Chinese don't really have the PCS yet. But then what else? Why are they preparing for the next season now? It's wayyyy tooo early. I still can't imagine, they don't want another silver? Oh hell no I cannot take a Viktoria Komova from Figure skating. I CANT HAVE IT. NOT AGAIN.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
she will NOT dump a partner whom she she won an olympic silver medal with.

Uh what about Ilinykh/Katsalapov? ;)

This is very sad news though - its not like they're no longer favourites because they lost Euros/GPF.

Maybe they just can't stand to lose worlds and want to only compete there when they feel they can technically compete?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Stolbova is pulling a "Plushenko"? I see.

This is so lame and yet so unsurprising. I just hate this team now. Well, at least K/S chances improve exponentially now.

If she were pulling a Plushenko she would WD after the Worlds SP warmup, instead of earlier so another team like Ast/Rog can replace them. :sarcasm:

BlackPack

Medalist
Wow, this is the most volatile thread in recent memory. Even though Worlds still hasn't happened, there are already "off-season" topics and you can always rely on Russian champions to brew some drama.

We definitely need this situation to be "Trankov-ed," i.e. verified.

Regardless of the less ideal performances from this past season, this season is still S&K's biggest shot at winning gold if they pull it together.

andy08

Rinkside
Quite strange ... No real reason expressed. Kogan said that from the beginning wasn't meant they would participate to all the events. But al least they had a chance to take a medal for Russia. So what's behind all this is a mystery.
Maybe they had a problem and wanted to take more time to work it out ?
Future will tell what's up.