Advice for returning skater? | Golden Skate

Advice for returning skater?

Myblade

Rinkside
I am a child skater, and I skate 8 hours a week. I am going to a place with no rink for two months. What should I do to prepare and to not lose all my skills? Please help!

loopy

Final Flight
We have friends who go to Malaysia every summer for two months and she is unable to skate there (juvenile level). It takes her about a month to get back to where she was before she left - plenty of time for regionals and a summer competition. Talk to your coach about off ice training, stretching and off ice jumps - come up with some sort of schedule. Depending on where you are going there might be a local dance place where you can take lessons. Try something new like ballroom or hip hop, have fun with a change. There are plastic spinners you can travel with too (but honestly we have a spinner but it was never really used or helpful). Enjoy your time off the ice and try not to stress too much about it!

vlaurend

Final Flight
I don't think you will lose all your skills in two months as long as you do something to stay in shape. Interval training would be especially helpful in keeping up your stamina for skating programs. Basically, you just want to simulate the energy you exert during a program, where the jumps and step sequence might be the more strenuous bursts of energy and the connecting stroking, spirals, etc, would be the less intense sections. You can simulate this by exercising for the length of your program--or longer--alternating bursts of intense energy with periods of less strenuous exercise, either on a stationary bicycle, in an aerobics class, jumping rope, running, hiking, or a blend of different things, maybe even making off ice jumping a part of your routine. Rollerblading is another thing you can do just to keep those stroking muscles in shape.