Slow Motion Jump Editing (AKA: Sam's Jump-a-ma-tron) | Golden Skate

Slow Motion Jump Editing (AKA: Sam's Jump-a-ma-tron)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I posted a video of a skater's 3f and low and behold it racked up 600 plus hits in just a little over a week. :jaw: So that got me thinking that maybe people are interested in seeing jumps broken down to the tiniest of milliseconds and analyzed on this forum.

If you have a particular skater that you are interested in seeing a particular jump in slow motion/backward/paused/multiple angles if available/ etc.... please feel free to ask. If you could provide a link that would be very helpful (720p quality and up are worth finding) and the approximate time that the jump occurs in the program. I can't promise to do every video suggested but I'll do my best. That I will promise.

Here is the video that I posted the other day so you can reference the type of editing I can do. Feel free to add suggestions(I usually add music :slink:) and also understand that some angles are just not good enough to determine edges/rotations/height all of the time.

Obviously I'm not the only person with a video editor so if anyone else has interest in posting their own videos in this thread then have at it:)

Let the games began and let's put my Jump-a-ma-tron to work. :yay:

Jumpamatron or Jump-a-ma-tron?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Here is the list of edited video's born in this thread.

Sam-Skwantch

Miyahara Satoko Jumpamatron

Polina Edmonds Jumpamatron

Julia Lipnitskaya Jumpamatron

Joshua Farris Jumpamatron

Yuzuru Hanyu Jumpamatron

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Jumpamatron

Julia Lipnitskaya Jumpamatron pt 2

Evgenia Medvedeva Cuss-a-ma-jumpamatron

Wakaba Higuchi Jumpamatron

JWC SP REMIX

Serafima Sakhanovich Jumpamatron

Yuzuru Hanyu Remix GPF

Elizabet Turzynbaeva Remix

Satoko WC SP Jumpamatron/Remix

Zijun Li Remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKzC3jzXw4

Julia 5000 HD Remix

2015 4cc Remix

2015 Pairs WC Remix

Mariah Bell Remix

Sabinfire

Liza Jumpamatron Clinic pt 2

Elena Radinova Jumpamatron

Josh Farris TripleAxelMatron :)

Evgenia Medvedeva Jumpamatron

Julia Lipnitskaya Spinamatron

Max Arron Jumpamatron

Evgenia Medvedeva Spinamatron

Serafima Sakhanovich Spinamatron

Elena Radinova Spinamatron

Jason Brown Spinamatron

Tano'marathon-a-matron

2014 4cc K-n-C Greatest'moments-a-matron

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 3a Jumpamatron pt2

Alissa Czisny Spinamatron

Elizaveta Super Mega Jumpatron

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Spinamatron

Anna Pogorilaya Spinamatron

Retro Liza Spinamatron

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Worlds 3axel'amatron

Elizaveta Worlds Jumpamatron

Liza vs Mao 3a Jumpamatron

Yuzuru Hanyu vs Han Yan 3a jumpamatron

Liza 9 screen overload-a-matron

Elena Radinova 9 Screen Overload-a-matron

Yulia Lipnitskaya 9 Screen Overload-a-matron

Jason Brown SP Skeleton'amatron

Sowcow

Mao Asada Slow Motion Analysis

Jason Brown

Team USA'a-matron

Matilda

Johhny Weir Jumpamatron

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be home in about an hour and get started on it. Any particular one? She received an ! in both of her 4CC programs so I'm assuming it's unclear there.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't really know enough to make any requests, but I want to whole heartedly led my support to the idea and thread in general.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Oh this sounds like fun :p

How about a comparison of jumps? Like the Men's 3A? Here are the 'best' (according to GOE) from 4CC:

Han Yan (FS) 2.57
Han Yan (SP) 2.43
Shoma Uno (FS) 2.29
Denis Ten(SP)/Shoma Uno(SP)/Joshua Farris(FS) 2.00
Takahito Mura (FS) 1.86
Joshua Farris(SP)/Daisuke Murakami(SP+FS) 1.57

That's 10 jumps, sorry if that's a lot. I can absolutely go through & find the times for each if you'd like. Which videos are you using?

eta: ok, I'm gonna go through & include the links just in case. It's 2 a.m. here & I have nothing else to do atm :biggrin:

eta2: 1080p timestamped links for 7/10 jumps, can't find anything above 480 for the other three :scowl:

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Does anyone have the video to this warm-up angle? I need to see this in slow-mo because :jaw:

And I would like to see Polina's 3F at 4CC as well since I feel like I'm always seeing an outside edge rather than an !

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'd like to see skaters who are often called for URs. I'd put in a vote for Mirai's jumps (particularly her toe jumps which are the ones that usually get the UR calls) and Miyahara's jumps...maybe Samantha Cesario too, though to be honest, Sam doesn't get called for that many URs. She usually URs her 3-3 combos but (judging by the protocols) the rest of her jumps get around...

Also, I'd like to see Liza T's 3Lz...it's just so perfect...that deserves to be appreciated in slo-mo. And Mao's 3A from the SP at worlds last year...actually, I'd like to see her 3A, 3F-3L and 2A-3T from Sochi since the judges called her on those and I thought she deserved the benefit of the doubt like everyone else got.

Okay, obviously that was a lot :laugh: I guess just pick and choose from my suggestions :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
..... Miyahara's jumps....

Her 3f was the first video I posted that got so many hits. Here it is. This was the best jump she had in the SP and was scored with positve GOE.

I'll get to some of yours (and everyones)I promise and I love the idea of celebrating jumps too. Maybe even more so than just finding errors!!! Please keep in mind it takes about 1/2 hour to edit.....15 mins to find video's and name clips to use and then ~20 mins to download so I can't do too many at a time but this is something I look forward to doing when I do have the time. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Damn, do you happen to know if that 3F was called < or <<? Because she spun a whole revolution on her toepick!

Taking requests? Joshua's magnificent 3A from the beginning of his Nationals LP (let us see the +3s in all its glory!), Max's 4S-3T from his LP at Nationals. Pretty, pretty please with a Yulia on top?

Mafke

Medalist
For a blast from the past, what about Julia Sebestyen's lutz? It was just unreal.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Damn, do you happen to know if that 3F was called < or <<? Because she spun a whole revolution on her toepick!

Taking requests? Joshua's magnificent 3A from the beginning of his Nationals LP (let us see the +3s in all its glory!), Max's 4S-3T from his LP at Nationals. Pretty, pretty please with a Yulia on top?

She received positive GOE. No UR called. It was her absolute best jump in the SP.

Taking requests of course but video links are appreciated because I don't have them all saved to my computer and don't forget that 720p or higher quality improves the slow motion :)

I'm off all day tomorrow and the weather shall be bone chilling cold so I plan on doing some more then and not going outside.

Edit: I found Max's and Joshua's FS in great quality :)

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have a strange request that hopefully some of you can help with.

I would love it if some of you could maybe label what the entrances are to some of the jumps. I really really would love so much to have a better idea of what these words like mohawk, and choctaw actually mean. If we are making a repository of useful stuff like this, it could really be a great way to learn and understand more. I know some jumps have preceding steps/skating moves and some don't. So maybe if anyone notices good examples of X or Y type of entries, you can call it out and gather a little more information for our hopefully growing database.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is Polina's 3f's from the FS at 4cc. First is the solo jump that got an ! call and the second is from the 3f-1lo-3s combo where she got an e call.

Polina 3f's 4CC

Put it in 720 HD for best viewing. Sorry about the bluegrass music.....I forgot that I was listening to Gilian Welch and never removed the track.

Working on another video as we speak.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Here is Polina's 3f's from the FS at 4cc. First is the solo jump that got an ! call and the second is from the 3f-1lo-3s combo where she got an e call.

Polina 3f's 4CC

Put it in 720 HD for best viewing. Sorry about the bluegrass music.....I forgot that I was listening to Gilian Welch and never removed the track.

Working on another video as we speak.

Thank you so much Sam! :clap: Yeah i can see on her first flip that she flattened the blade just right before toepicking. I wonder about her SP though..

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I first made the Satoko video I expected people to attack my fandom of Yulia and call her out because she has edge issues and was getting edge calls all season. So I went and made a video of her 3f from CoC this season and was surprised to see that the jump she was getting called on this season was one of the better examples to watch from a slow motion point of view of a 3f. IMO she is on the correct edge and gets full rotation. The only issue is at take off she gets to just short of 180 and sort of jerks her toe but I think it's actually a clean jump and it seems most everyone when viewed at this speed has these issues. Believe me....I wasn't expecting to find her 3f with this quality. Especially for her being such a small jumper. IMHO she executes all the qualities a judge should look for in a +1GOE jump and maybe +2 if you stretch a bit as some judges do based on circumstances and consider the set up and transition out into Choreography.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Josh Farris 3a (sorry for blurring the 1080 quality) I'm no good at rendering videos apparently.

I'll try to fix it. Ice Network really doesn't have good slow motion replays so it isn't as good of quality as I'd like it.

Last edited: