Favorite skaters {revised} | Golden Skate

Favorite skaters {revised}

IceAngel2007

Rinkside
ok here. now im not 'biased' who is your favorite skater? and why. and what is your favorite routine that they have performed. thanx. (im very bored as you may probably already know, im in algebra class and i hate the teacher, he is confusing, boring, etc.)

icenut84

Final Flight
How come you get to go on the computer during algebra class??

Anyroad, to answer your questions:

My favourite skaters include Plushenko, Lambiel, Kwan, Cohen, Suguri, Shen & Zhao, Kerrs, Baiul, Torvill & Dean, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Slutskaya, etc etc etc. This could take a while... :)

Plushenko - I love his unique style. I love the way he is himself and can do whatever he wants and gets away with it (e.g. Sex Bomb), whereas a lot of others probably would never try it. I think he's the best mens skater in the world. I think he's cute. And I love what I've seen/read of his personality. Favourite programmes - Sex Bomb (01 EX), and St Petersburg 300 (03 LP).

Lambiel - I think he's an amazing skater. I love the fact that his programmes are always so full of choreography and inbetweens, when a lot of skaters tend to leave them all out. I love his spins and footwork. I think he's one of the best all-around skaters in the world. Favourite programmes - Cirque de Soleil (02 LP), flamenco LP (04 Worlds).

Kwan - I think she's got a beautiful style. Some of the programmes she's done in the past have been totally spellbinding. She's got a lovely presence on the ice and seems like a very nice person. Favourite programmes - Salome (96 LP), Red Violin (00 LP), Fields of Gold (02-03 EX), The Feeling Begins (03-04 SP).

Cohen - I think she's also got a beautiful style. She always has great positions, and I like the fact that she always does variations on moves rather than doing the same move the same way in every routine. When she's on form, she can be totally dynamic. Favourite programmes - Malaguena (03-04 SP), My Sweet & Tender Beast (02 SP).

Suguri - I enjoy her style of skating. She always has fast and difficult footwork, and I think her style is quite underappreciated. She has the best blur spin in the business. She also always seems genuinly happy when she does well (especially when she found out she'd got the bronze medal at Worlds last year). Favourite programmes - Moonlight Sonata (02 LP), Mozart (04 LP).

Shen & Zhao - They have improved so much in recent years. They've been giving incredible performances since at least 98, and their throw, twist and jump elements are wonderful. Their artistic side has really developed too. Favourite programmes - Nutcracker (04 LP), Come What May (04 EX). I also enjoyed their LPs in 98 and 99.

Kerrs - They kick ass! :) They totally lived up to the hype. I hadn't seen them before Euros this year, but had heard a lot about them. Their Matrix FD rocked (and IIRC got a standing O). Lovely people, by all accounts, too. Favourite programmes - Matrix (04 FD).

Baiul - Possibly the most naturally artistic skater ever, IMO. Wonderful dance ability, great speed and beautiful elements. Favourite programmes - Swan (94 EX), Meditation, Bach.

Torvill & Dean - Probably fave skaters ever. Love their programmes and choreography (that they always did themselves). Extremely versatile, incredibly talented, very innovative and original. Favourite programmes - if I had to choose one, it would probably be Bolero (84 FD), but I love so many of them.

Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze - Gorgeous style. Beautiful elements. Great choreography. Also seem like genuinly nice people. Favourite programmes - Dark Eyes (98 LP), City Lights (01 LP), Meditation (02 LP), the Kid (02 EX).

Slutskaya - Another genuinly nice, sweet person. Gets a lot of criticism for her style, but she's a superb skater with great technique. Tries out lots of different styles. Good all-round skater. Favourite programmes - Don Quioxte (01 LP), Timeless (01 EX).

Plus I like a lot more other skaters too. :)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Peggy, Paul, G&G and T&D

I would litterally sit there and watch them like :eek: Awestruck. Just stupified. The grace, the flow, the musicality, but also the feeling that I was seeing something new and different and special. They are the yard sticks with which I judge all others.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
First off, I must go into teacher mode. I teach 9th grade English. TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR TEACHER. That way, algebra will be less confusing since you will actually be following the lesson. Boring or not, if you don't get algebra now, you are going to be overwhelmed next year in Geometry, and the year after in Algebra II.

Okay, teacher mode off. :)

My favorite skater is Evgeni Plushenko, for many of the reasons icenut listed. He's gorgeous. He has charisma. He has flair. I love watching him do his 4/3/3 and his 3A half loop 3 flip. He has gorgeous blue eyes. I've also met him, and he is really very sweet.

I also like Kevin Van Der Perren a great deal.

Laura :)

icenut84

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
My favorite skater is Evgeni Plushenko, for many of the reasons icenut listed. He's gorgeous. He has charisma. He has flair. I love watching him do his 4/3/3 and his 3A half loop 3 flip. He has gorgeous blue eyes. I've also met him, and he is really very sweet.

I also like Kevin Van Der Perren a great deal.

ITA with all of that. :) I love his flair and extrovert skating and charisma on the ice. And I agree he's gorgeous. He always gives 200%, and is always doing new things and trying to improve his skating.

I also like Kevin van der Perren too. :love: :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
First off, I must go into teacher mode. I teach 9th grade English. TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR TEACHER. That way, algebra will be less confusing since you will actually be following the lesson. Boring or not, if you don't get algebra now, you are going to be overwhelmed next year in Geometry, and the year after in Algebra II.

Okay, teacher mode off. :)

coming from someone who is horrible at math... ITA!!! :laugh: Algebra and Algebra 2 were great subjects for me... I am a linear thinker, I guess... I hated geometry...

onto my favorites -- this will be long I'm sure LOL

Scott Hamilton: He's my first skating favorite. I saw him when I was 3 or 4 years old, and I upstaged him. heh heh heh. If I ever meet him I'm going to ask him if he remembers my little comment in the middle of his routine. ;) He's a great showman, and I think he's been an awesome role model for the sport.

Kurt Browning: It took me a long time to really like Kurt. I fell in love with his skating in 1997/98 when he skated to "Serenade to Sonia" and "Antares"... since then I've gotten just about every one of his professional programs on tape, and he's only had a handful of bad programs over the years. He's still an artistic genious out there, IMHO... and is the ultimate quad king... ;)

Angela Nikodinov -- Not the most consistent, or the one with the most accolades, but she is so pretty out there. I think if I would have stuck it out in skating I'd skate like her(with probably even less success :laugh: )

Yuka Sato -- who DOESN'T love this girl? I saw her skating LIVE in 1999 and she is just so smooth... everything is so solid and fluid and strong... and quiet. Perfection.

Josée Chouinard -- I saw her in 1999 too, and wow wow wow! The girl doesn't need to be "on" with her jumps to sell a program... and her smile reaches all around the arena! She is a great show skater, and so sweet! She throws a mean snowball too!

Kristi Yamaguchi -- I don't think I was the only American Girl who wanted to be Kristi after 1992... she's so consistent as a pro too... and she's really grown from her Olympic medal till now! :)

Jamie Salé / David Pelletier -- I love their choreography, their seamless flow... the N. American version of G&G, IMHO.

Ekatarina Gordeeva / Sergei Grinkov -- There have been many times that I've wished Sergei was still around. I really miss their skating.

Christine Hough / Doug Ladret -- I haven't seen anything from their elligible days, but they were great showmen in SOI! :)

Anabelle Langlois / Patrice Archetto -- Okay, so he needs to lighten up a bit and have some fun... but their SP this year rocked... and their exhibitions are always nice! :)

Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean -- 6.0 ... need I say more? ;)

Renee Rocha / Gorsha Sur -- I first saw them skate in 99... and they were captivating... just really really good. *sigh* Gorsha *sigh* ;)

Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz -- pre-Tarasova, entertaining, energetic... and very much their own team... once they "conformed" to the "acceptable" dance look they were just like every other pair... bland

Melissa Gregory / Denis Petukhov -- two of the finest people I've ever met... I love their skating... they seem so genuine! they're going places! :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
There are so many current skaters that I adore, so I will delve into the past and choose the ones that first sparked my interest and fandom.......
1. Ladies- Janet Lynn, for the pure joy that shown through as she skated

2. Men- Paul Wylie, for his extension, attention to details, fleet feet and mesmorizing programs

3. Dance- Klimova and Ponomarenko- for their classical style and great drama

4. Pairs- G and G.....two shall skate as one, their connection for each other...need I say more?...............42

lulu

Final Flight
There are so many skaters that I love...can't name them all.

Mishkutenok & Dmitriev/Kazakova & Dmitriev:
Innovative, unique, artistically brilliant, multi-versatile.

Artur also racks up some bonus points from me-because after FS and Artstic Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics is my favorite sport to watch and his wife was an incredibly talented and cool gymnast. :)

Berezhnaya & Sikarulidze:
G&G basics + Moskvina choreography, beautifully artistic.

Klimkin:
The male M&D in my eyes-which means I absolutely adore him. Great choreography and artistry.

Plushenko:
A showman, great jumping ability, tons of charisma

Klimova & Ponomarenko:
Great skills, romantic, gothic

Usova & Zhulin:
lines, edges and tons of tension in their skating.

Anakawa;
Great basics, awesome jumps.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
How fun!

Oh how fun! I love doing these!

Ladies
Michelle Kwan-Fields of Gold, Fallin'
Sasha Cohen-Swan Lake, Hernando's Hideaway
Ann Patrice McDonough-Madame Butterfly
Beatrisa Liang-Signs
Jenny Kirk-Chicago, Only Hope
Katy Taylor-Patriotic Mix
Kimmie Meissner-Long Program (don't remember the name!)
Shizuka Arakawa-Violin Fantasy, Swan Lake Remix
Fumie Suguri-Rolling Stones, Swan Lake, This year's long (again, I don't remember the name!)
Yukina Ota-This year's long and short (don't remember the names! lol)
Miki Ando-Firebird
Binshu Xu-This year's long, don't remember the name!

Men
Johnny Weir-Dr. Zhivago (sp?)
Michael Weiss-Exhibition
Brian Joubert-Matrix

Pairs
Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhou-Nutcracker, Olympic Long

Dance
Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto-West Side Story, This year's swing dance, and Elvis Exhibition

P.S. Look! I made a new siggy! :D

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I had to come back because I can't *believe* I left off Alexander Abt. :mad: Gorgeous edges, flow, and his speed across the ice and his absolute conviction to the program. No tentative moves for Sasha.

Oh, yeah, and he's a babe. :love:

Laura :)

mariana

On the Ice
Well...as you have probably gessed I :love: :love: :love: Denkova & Stavyiski, but I aslo enjoy the Kerrs and, as for pairs, my all times favorites are Gordeeva & Grinkov

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Shizuka Arakawa - Turandot, Swan Lake
Miki Ando - Pianist, Firebird
Fumie Suguri - Ave Maria, Mozart No.40
Michelle Kwan - Lyra Angelica, Rach
Shen/Zhao - Mulan, Nutcracker, Turandot
Torvill/Dean - Rhumba OD 94, Bolero, Lets face the Music
Lu Chen- Nausicaa, Claire de Lune, Last Emperor, Rach, Butterfly Lovers
Surya Bonaly - Four Seasons, Gyspy thing
Midori Ito - Firebird, 89 Worlds LP, Rach
Drobiazko/Vanagas - Sempe il Sente, FD 2002

Kasey

Medalist
Fave Pair of all time....G and G. NO other pairs team has caught my attention like them (although Shen and Zhao have picked it up again). I remember watching them at the Olympics in 1988, and it was the first time I had ever paid attention to pairs skaters.

Ice Dance...the only ones who have ever made me not want to change the channel or go to the bathroom during their performances is Bourne and Kraatz. hat's still not a great ringing endorsement....I'm not really a dance fan!

Ladies skating....All time fave is Yuka Sato. It's been said HOW many times that she's the "skaters skater"? Grace, speed, silent edges, beauty, musical expression....and ALWAYS with a sweet, classy personality and a stunning smile. I also like Michelle Kwan (pure class), Nicole Bobek (pure fun) and liked Tonya Harding while she was eligible (huge jumps, great strength and power). Also have becomea fan of Arakawa this past year.

Men's skating....my FAVE discipline! First interest in men's skating was Robin Cousins....then Jozef Sabovcick (yes, incredibly different styles!), who I still love. I kind of lost interest for quite a while...and then Paul Wylie came along! I regained interest in men's skating with him at the 1990 Nationals...and totally fell in love with him, and STILL adore him! So he would be my all time fave male skater....but a close second would be Yagudin (yeah, again, I know, very different styles!) Paul had some of the smoothest skating, beautiful spins, and some of THE best musical interpretation (IMO) I have seen....he's also just such a nice guy. Yags has great strength and power, great showmanship and charisma, and a wonderful "wink and swagger" bad boy vibe to him that I think adds to excitement! (or leads you to despise him, one or the other!)

Kasey

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd - First Knight (1996 & 1998 Worlds, 1998 Goodwill Games), Il Mare Calmo Della Sera, The Glory, 1492
Paul - JFK, Carmina Burana, Schindler's List, Apollo 13
Brian Orser - The Story of My Life, 1984 & 1988 Olympics
Elvis - Dragon - 1994 Olympics & Worlds

Michelle - Salome, Lyra, Winter, East of Eden
Midori Ito - 1988 Olympics! Her exhibition at 1992 Olympics (a "Rain" medley)
Yuka - 1994 Worlds, Hatful of Stars
Fumie - The Planets (Jupiter), her Mozart program (GPF)
Kristi - Oh, So Quiet

Roca & Sur - The Prayer, Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps
Torvill & Dean - Bolero, Hat Trick
B&K - Riverdance

G&G - 1988 Olympics, their performances with SOI
Shen &Zhao - Mt. Olympus, 2003 Worlds, Nutcracker

:love:

Last edited: