What color/colour was that dress? | Golden Skate

What color/colour was that dress?

TMC

Record Breaker
Depends on who's looking. Apparently something to do with how our individual eyes/brains filter colours. Funny how people are really upset when someone "claims" to see it differently! I think it's really interesting; I had no idea how different our perceptions could be compared to each other.

I myself see it as pale blue & golden brown.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I at first saw it as gold+white, then blue+black, & now can switch between the two (albeit with some stern concentration). Same with that figure of a spinning female that was popular many years ago- if you look at it long enough you can see it spinning either clockwise OR counter-clockwise.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand how people can think the gold is black. I can get why some will think the white is blue cause of the tinge. This person needs to find the owner of the dress and have them put it in better lighting. Like BRIGHT lighting so we can figure this out once and for all. The white kinda shifts to slightly bluish tinge for me, but I don't understand how you can't tell between black and gold.

For me, I see white with some bluish tinge and gold.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Between this and the llama chase in Arizona, the Internet gave a case for net neutrality! :laugh: I can see both color palettes. As usual my attempt to be impartial on most matters apparently extends to formal wear, ha!

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I don't understand how people can think the gold is black. I can get why some will think the white is blue cause of the tinge. This person needs to find the owner of the dress and have them put it in better lighting. Like BRIGHT lighting so we can figure this out once and for all. The white kinda shifts to slightly bluish tinge for me, but I don't understand how you can't tell between black and gold.

I saw black and blue. The owner themself has come out and said that there is no gold on this dress. Its just an optical illusion lol

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw black and blue. The owner themself has come out and said that there is no gold on this dress. Its just an optical illusion lol

What is wrong with my eyes...grrrrr....I'm trying make myself not be fooled by illusions and I clearly failed. How does the black look gold, which is like YELLOW....doesn't make any sense.

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
What is wrong with my eyes...grrrrr....I'm trying make myself not be fooled by illusions and I clearly failed. How does the black look gold, which is like YELLOW....doesn't make any sense.

Science, its a thing :biggrin: Its just how an individual's brain perceives and processes color and its surroundings. Don't be so hard on yourself, if a neuroscientist who specializes in color vision also perceived it as gold/white, I think you can give yourself a pass. :laugh:

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Same. Pale baby blue and a bit of rusty gold.

The picture itself isn't taken in the best circumstances, so the color hue may be off because of brightness in the background.

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
If you use photoshop and color drop it, the colors come out blue and washed out blacks (dark grey?).

Those who see black and blue are likely to have better night vision than those who see white/gold, so a dog/cat would likely see it as blue/black.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm on my work computer so I don't have the best access to image tools right now (and coming in through a Remote Desktop connection too on top of that), but I'm surprised the only two options are black/blue and white/gold. I don't see any black or white. To my eyes, the black is some shade of brown -- and the white is a pale blue color.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you use photoshop and color drop it, the colors come out blue and washed out blacks (dark grey?).

Those who see black and blue are likely to have better night vision than those who see white/gold, so a dog/cat would likely see it as blue/black.

Darn. I guess my night vision is not going to be good.

Meoima

Match Penalty
At first my eyes see blue and black.
Several hours after that I see gold and white.
Then minutes after that my eyes switch color.