Joshua Farris articles re 2015 Worlds

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1) A nice long article today:

Joshua Farris: Living in the Moment
Posted by Figure Skaters Online
March 02, 2015
By Johanna Bear
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2015/03/02/joshua-farris-living-in-the-moment/

(2) And stay tuned for an article from Nick McCarvel, who posted the following in Josh's fan thread:

The article will be out in the next couple of weeks. No set publish date yet... Hope that helps!
ETA, McCarvel's article eventually was published on Mar 10 -- came back to add the link to the OP for easy reference:
Finding his voice: Farris just realizing full potential
Colorado skater turns career around after epiphany at U.S. championships

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/10/111303080

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
That is probably the best piece of figure skating journalism I've ever come across. Seriously.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That is probably the best piece of figure skating journalism I've ever come across. Seriously.

Love all the detail in Johanna Bear's article :agree:.

Respect to Josh for sharing his thoughts and memories so fully.
Wonderful that his head is in such a good place ... not to mention his skating ;).

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
:clap: Fantastic article! But I admit I'm sad that he will most likely retire 'Give Me Love' :cry:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
What an amazing article. It's written very well, it's detailed and coherent, and it has an up-lifting, kind tone to it. A lot of new information mixed with great personal impressions, that combination is pretty rare. Thanks a lot to Johanna Bear for it!

Something general I have to say: I'm always amazed by how mature, reflective, self-aware and simply well-spoken so many young figure skaters are. One more reason I know I'm following the right sport.

With this interview, I don't even know with what to start talking about! I'm a little sad he'll probably retire 'Give me love', but it makes sense. I also like his take on the whole quad issue, especially regarding the american men. That bit about arrogance and how to balance it with confidence is also really interessting.
And I love his honesty in general. From admiting that he actually had felt good going into NHK (and especially saying he hates admitting it), the comment about the political side of the sport to his "loops suck", it's very endearing to read. I have to say I'm very impressed with how he can share so many quite personal thoughts and feelings, especially the more complicated or even negative ones. He also seems to have a nice sense of humor.

It's also heart-warming to read how he speaks about all the skaters supporting one another, and even moreso what he says about Jason! I'm very, very glad they get to go to their first worlds together.

Special mention to: “I am a huge procrastinator”. Hahaha. Welcome to the club, Josh. Probably the most successful member though ;)

Top 5 also seems like a nice goal for him regarding worlds. Definitely doable and within his reach, without being too optimistic or giving himself too much pressure. Everything looks great for worlds! :party2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't even begin with my favourite things about this article, so let's just go with :love:.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Great article.
I have to agree with Josh- the loop jump sucks!

Ive never done jumps on ice but ive done some jumps in my living room and whenever you prepare for the loop you feel like you are going to fall (or your legs will give way) when you take off!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Great article for Joshua:cheer:
Joshua also hates loop:biggrin: have heard that Patrick hates loop, and obviously Yuna.:biggrin:
And 2 new programs from Joshua next season:dance:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Enjoyed this interview and it answered some burning questions like "where did that amazing spin position come from?" (his spin coach) and "why did he repeat "Give Me Love" and fell a lot" during his EX at Nationals (he hadn't prepared an EX b/c he wasn't sure he'd medal and he was exhausted).

I liked that he admitted he works with a sports psychologist who helped him with his mindset after NHK. I'm sure there are other athletes (Gracie, cough cough) who could benefit.

I am actually glad he's retiring "Schindler's List" and "Give Me Love" b/c as beautiful as both programs are, they are kind of on the depressing side. Hope to see him do something more upbeat next season.

I would've liked to have read about his choreographic aspirations as well as working with Jeff Buttle, b/c they seem to be a great fit. Would've also been fun to hear how he's dealing with his new status as the heartthrob of men's figure skating, lol.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Great article.
I have to agree with Josh- the loop jump sucks!

Ive never done jumps on ice but ive done some jumps in my living room and whenever you prepare for the loop you feel like you are going to fall (or your legs will give way) when you take off!

I'm not the only one! I also try jumps of the ice in my room, but I kinda like the Loop. I rather hate Lutz, because either I flutz (don't know if I can say when I don't have skates, but you might know) or underrotate. The Axel jump is the hardest.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I fear I have to disagree with Josh here - I'm in the Jason camp of "Salchow sucks most".

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the article link on Josh! :love:

I think Jason & Todd are in the same camp re: the salchow (Todd has said that it is his least favorite jump).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
IMO, the loop feels more...natural to jump from than the Salchow. JMO.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
One of the better skater interview articles I've read in a coon's age. See, journalists, it is possible to write an in-depth article about a skater without padding it with fluff. Thank you for posting it.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Then your technique is wrong. ;) Loop is the first off ice jump you learn when doing plyometrics after waltz jumps and your body should be straight over the jumping side for the loop. You shouldn't feel like you're going to fall, but "tall"

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think he has a chance of winning a world medal of course he will have to skate well and others will have to make mistakes but the US have 3 solid men if on.