Sasha Cohen and Mom in "Parenting" mag. | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen and Mom in "Parenting" mag.

Fossi

Final Flight
Galina seems to enjoy the spotlight! Nice article. What about Sasha's father? I never hear anything about Mr. Cohen? Are her parents still together?

registered

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Galina seems to enjoy the spotlight! Nice article. What about Sasha's father? I never hear anything about Mr. Cohen? Are her parents still together?

Sasha's father works in Los Angeles, and travels back and forth to Conn., since the family moved to the East coast. I believe he comes home on weekends, but absent during the week. He was shown in ABC's fluff piece last year, and he's the one who makes those short home made videos of Sasha, that she puts up on her website.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
very interesting acticle!!! Thanks for the post, I wish that they would update her site with a new journal entry. Its been a month!!!

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Parenting: So what is a parent's main goal?
Galina: The main goal is for the enjoyment of the children. Parents should work hard to keep it at that level when kids are young. If it becomes work at that age, it's no fun. What 6-year-old wants to work?

Amen to THAT! Thanks for the great article, registered! I agree, Liz, she needs a new entry, but tour must be hectic. BTW, how do I get on the mailing list for Turin tickets (totally OT, sorry, stream of consciousness:D )?

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I actually just got on the general mailing list for www.torino2006.com so i'm not like ahead of anyone or anything... but they send weekly updates and more detailed information about the ticketing process. Looks like grad school might not be in my immediate future after all.... I'de rather be chilling in torino!!!! www.torino2006.org/tickets

Tickets can be purchased starting in november of this year. I might be able pull some strings and get a press pass for the events because my mom is an exec at hearst.... long shot but it would be amazing.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
registered said:
Sasha's father works in Los Angeles, and travels back and forth to Conn., since the family moved to the East coast. I believe he comes home on weekends, but absent during the week. He was shown in ABC's fluff piece last year, and he's the one who makes those short home made videos of Sasha, that she puts up on her website.
Sasha's father's role reminds me of an old Russian joke (I'm not bashing him, it's more of how the media portrays the family).

How many animals should a woman have?
A jaguar in her garage.
A mink on her shoulders.
A lion in bed.
And an ass to pay for it all.

registered

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Sasha's father's role reminds me of an old Russian joke (I'm not bashing him, it's more of how the media portrays the family).

How many animals should a woman have?
A jaguar in her garage.
A mink on her shoulders.
A lion in bed.
And an ass to pay for it all.

An old Russian joke about having a Jaguar in the garage? Shouldn't it be a Moskvich, or Zaporozhez?

:D

Not too many would park a car in the "garage" either, are you sure this is a Russian joke? :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I heard this joke about 15 years ago, in Russia. Also, everyone knows of Jaguars. Finally, at least in Leningrad, in order to have a car you had to legally have a garage. Of course, this garage did not have to be ajacent to the home (in our case it was several miles), but it was still a garage. Most people left their cars in the garages for the whole winter.

registered

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
I heard this joke about 15 years ago, in Russia. Also, everyone knows of Jaguars. Finally, at least in Leningrad, in order to have a car you had to legally have a garage. Of course, this garage did not have to be ajacent to the home (in our case it was several miles), but it was still a garage. Most people left their cars in the garages for the whole winter.

Yeah, you're right people might have heard of Jaguars back then. I'm pretty sure that the origins of this jokes are not Russian, since the lifestyle isn't exactly reflective of the means of a regular Soviet woman. Anyhow, we used to park our car outside (priamo vo dvore), I cannot recall any buildings with adjacent garage.

Back on topic, I heard that Sasha took a vacation and looking for her own place in NYC. I'm guessing her next journal entry is going to be about her move to New York.

bronxgirl

Medalist
As someone who was fortunate enough to have had a functional nuclear family while growing up (overworked, but functional), I'd love to hear an interview from Mr.Cohen on his role (and Pride) in raising a successful elite skater. I don't think it was just Galina's influence on Sasha, but I would like to hear a more rounded perspective from Mr. Cohen as well.

registered

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
As someone who was fortunate enough to have had a functional nuclear family while growing up (overworked, but functional), I'd love to hear an interview from Mr.Cohen on his role (and Pride) in raising a successful elite skater. I don't think it was just Galina's influence on Sasha, but I would like to hear a more rounded perspective from Mr. Cohen as well.

The interview didn't came about, as solely Galina's influence on Sasha (at least not to me). Mrs. Cohen speaks of her's and her husband's contribution to Sasha's success, ("as Sasha got more serious, so did WE"), and so on.

Roger flies across the country for his job, and Sasha was interviewed, while on tour with COI, they probably couldn't find a time spot, that would be convenient for everyone to get together. SC is lucky to have such supportive parents, I'm amazed anyone would feel that her dad isn't getting enough recognition. IMO him and Galina get equal attention in all the fluff pieces on Sasha that we get to see on TV.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I would just like to see an article where the author does make time for Mr Cohen to give his perspective directly, not filtered through his wife's prespective. I have no information to say she is distorting his role, I would just like to hear his viewpoint presented directly by him. He should be very proud of his role in raising Sasha so why isn't it in print as well in a magazine about Parenting. Like that old line goes - it takes two to tango ;)

registered

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
I would just like to see an article where the author does make time for Mr Cohen to give his perspective directly, not filtered through his wife's prespective. I have no information to say she is distorting his role, I would just like to hear his viewpoint presented directly by him. He should be very proud of his role in raising Sasha so why isn't it in print as well in a magazine about Parenting. Like that old line goes - it takes two to tango ;)

Write to the magazine's editors. I'm all for it, the more Sasha coverage in press, the better! One month her mom's perspective, another for her father's, let's not forget grandparents, and maybe even 5c worth from her sister for months 3 and 4. I think I like the idea! ;)

It takes 2 to tango, but let's not forget that in reality it does "takes a village." :laugh:

Last edited:
Nice article, thanks for posting it.

I, too, would be interested in hearing the father's perspective, not just for Sasha, but for any family trying to support a budding athlete who is rising to the top of her profession at such a young age. As Ptichka says, number one, somebody has to pay for it all.

In society at large the traditional roles of the father as breadwinner and the mother as child-raiser are more and more being shared. I wonder how that plays out in a situation where the child athlete needs both a lot of money to continue as well as a lot of time and support both logistical and emotional.

To tell the truth, I am surprised at how level-headed and down-to-earth these wonderfully talented young people turn out to be.:love:

Mathman

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
That is a wonderful interview. I especially love Sasha's advice to all parents, and Galina's explanation that the goal of most parents is for the enjoyment of the children. Both are extremely important. Most Certainly, Sasha misses Orange County because of her being born there.