The cheapest price for gas you can remember | Golden Skate

The cheapest price for gas you can remember

Lucy25

Final Flight
Piggy backing on the price of gas thread, I thought it would be fun to remember how "cheap" gas used to be. How far back can you remember? The cheapest I can remember is .54 a gallon. I was pretty young, so this was probably in the 70's.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Wow!!! The cheapest gas I can remember (I've only been driving since 1998) is when it was 68c/gallon for regular... but then again texas has some of the lowest average gas prices in the country.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Moving this over to Le Cafe. :D

The cheapest I can remember gas being though is when it was at least under ONE dollar! Can you imagine?! Those were the days. Even cities like my hometown of Cincy are over $2 a gallon now! That has NEVER happened here before. Someone stop the insanity!! :eek:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Cheapest price???? Oh brother, that is a question. In the early 70s I owned a Toyota Carolla, my first car, and I worked as a waitress. I used save my tips for gas - cost me $3.00 for a fill up! I am not sure when Canada changed to litres, but it must have been pretty cheap then.

The cheapest price I remember now - fondly, was a couple of summers ago - .43 cents a litre! We used to at one time think THAT was expensive. I would even welcome .52 cents a litre now.

We just had a big news report that the Government is trying to do something about the prices. In the meantime people are so fed up, they are boycotting Esso and also are driving away without paying!!!!!

Well, I guess I won't be driving too far this summer.

megsk8z

On the Ice
27.2 cents a gallon when driving through Texas as a kid. I remember because of the .2 as opposed to the usual .9.

Pookie

Final Flight
I can remember when the gas station across the street from us would drop the gas price to .34. It was like a big thing and my parents would hurry to fill all the cars. :laugh:

You can guess everybody's age by this thread. I can remember 19 cents a gallon.:laugh:

Mathman

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Let's see. San Diego, 1985; it was my first (and only)car. It was long about the time gas just started to hover around a dollar a gallon (at least it did down here) and at the time we thought that was highway robbery. I think the cheapest I ever paid was 97 cents per gallon. I know it was cheaper than that during the 70s during the "gas shortage" (I remember the long gas lines and the system where odd-numbered license plates could get filled up on certain days and even-numbered ones on others), but I wasn't paying for the stuff then so I was therefore oblivious.:)

Lucy25

Final Flight
Sorry, I can't believe I posted this in the wrong folder. I thought I *was* in Le Cafe'.:laugh:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I can remember 49.9 cents a litre.

And LAD, I used to work at a gas staion. At least once a day, someone would drive away without paying for their gas! It was a crime I didn't even know existed before I started working thwere. The nerve of some people. They will do tricky things to get away without paying.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember 50 cents a gallon and they would have gas wars and sell for 25 cents. What you couldn't do for a dollar then. Now, those were the days!!!

Dee

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I don't remember the price, but I do remember being able to get a 1/2 tank of gas in a 1976 Ford LTD station wagon (can we say huge :eek: ) for $5 in the early 80's.

I just put $33 into my Tracker today - an all time high for 15 gallons (yes, I was on the red line). :mad: :cry: $2.13 a gallon.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Ahh, its okay Lucy. Don't worry about it! :D

And I tried to fill up my car (a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix that gets REALLY good gas mileage for being a pretty old car) as much as I could today. I put $21 worth of gas into my car and it is over 3/4 of a tank but STILL not even full!! I couldn't believe it. Are they going to give us all raises at our jobs to make up for the gas price hikes?!?! I guess I can wish, LOL :laugh:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Mathman:

Speaking of "cheap" remember when .19 cents would buy you a burger at McDonalds? sigh.........

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I hope when people come here for the Olympics in 2010 they are prepared for a shock to their wallets. A friend and I drove to Whistler last weekend. Besides the two and half hour treck each way it took a whole tank of gas!!! That's about $30.00 at today's rates.

The road is still in pretty rough condition. I can't imagine what the Olympic committee must have been thinking when they visited here to select the host country. They are starting construction on the sea-to-sky highway, but still it's a "deadly" road at times and those not familiar with the twists and turns could end up being casualties. Also, I can't imagine the athletes and their families wanting to travel all the way from Vancouver everyday. It's a long trip!!

Well, 2010 is a long way off, so let's hope the road is fixed by then and the gas prices have not soared right off the scale!!!! There won't be an Olympics!!!

Kasey

Medalist
I remember when I first was in the military, stationed in a small town in Missouri, that the (one) gas station in town used to have it for 65-80 cents a gallon routinely....cheapest you can find here in Reno these days is about $2.16

kasey