Overwhelmed with paper - Help | Golden Skate

Overwhelmed with paper - Help

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I can't seem to keep up with my weekly filing of endless bills, etc. I have tried the "paperless" route - getting my bills on-line, but I still end up with stacks of paper (because I print them!!!!). What do you folks do?

Oh woe is me!!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm a pack-rat Lad. I keep every receipt filed in file folders. I used to have a file folder for every type of bill, gas, electricity, insurance, etc. Now I file by year........I feel for you.....42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I would get one of those "accordian files" (the type that fold out like an accordian with seperate slots for stuff like utility bills, tax receipts, etc, or with letter sections AB, CD, EF, and so on; file them in there however you want to and clean it out when it gets to be too full, saving like the last 3 or 4 receipts; in most cases it's not necessary to save farther back than that. (This from a person with 6 year old Mastercard receipts from a card I 've used 3 times in the last 2 years if that)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Instead of printing them, can't you save them to a cd or a floppy? You can always print them out later if you need to.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lad, I have a accordian file and in it I file current year stuff from A-Z. Then at the end of the year, I find large envelopes and file, let's see maybe A-D and so on. Then I box those up and put the year on the box. Then I rotate the 6th year and shred. It has worked out great for me and really doesn't take much storage. Just wanted to say that I also throw away all the envelopes and stuff --- makes my project more compact.

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Susan.........that's a great idea. Is there a program that allows you to do it systematically, or do you scan your receipts and save them that way............I like it!!! 42

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Show42, whatever you pay has an automatic journal of your payments but I like a copy for a source reference. Thank God I printed one out, it saved me $45 dollar late fee. I was attempting to pay my Visa bill and had got to the point where I thought I had paid it but I wasn't at that point. I did make a copy of what I thought was the final point of paying. Needless to say, I was only at the part that says is this ok, now hit pay. So in reality I didn't pay the bill when I got my Visa bill. my jaw dropped when I saw that late fee. I got my bill and copy out and saw what I didn't or didn't do. I called and then faxed the guy the sheet showing him that I made an attempt to pay the bill. I got the $45 wiped off my bill. So I guess to each his own about printing a copy. I like to.

Dee

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Dee4707:

Thanks for the reply. That is pretty much my system; however, my problem is that I am a "procrastinator" and have a bad habit of letting the papers pile up too much before filing them. Plus, I hate throwing things out too soon and have a bad habit of dragging more paper home from work with notes etc. thinking I will sort through it at some point. Of course, that is quite likely to happen!!

Woe is me. Do you think I could get hold of Martha Stewart before she does time?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm afraid I'm worse than Lad. I have a clothesbasket plus another pile that I need to go through. What a mess. :cry:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Dee and Lad......part of my problem is that I am fearful of throwing something away that I might need. I keep everything. Our garage door literally fell apart, panel by panel. We had it installed about 8 years ago and my hubby couldn't remember who installed it or when. You guessed it right. Digging through my mass quantities of file folders, I found the receipt, dialed the company, and they replaced the door free of charge......that only enforced my original compulsion to keep every receipt from then on.........42