How old is this site? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How old is this site?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a personal friend of Joesitz and he didn't live too far from me in NYC. I knew he was in failing health. We saw each other periodically and were in touch quite often, then one day he stopped responding to my calls. I fear he may have passed on, but don't know for sure. He was quite a figure skating fan and a great guy.

I loved that Joe spoke his mind about the skaters but always made sure he would alert us to which skater stood out at Nationals. One of the people he alerted us to was Rohene Ward. It was sad that jumps interfered with Rohene's skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bYwkmccnk

When I first started posting Joe introduced himself and said just think of a "sitz bath." That always made me laugh and I remembered him by that comment. :laugh: :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Afair, didn't he claim to have been part of an ice show, where he was in one half of a horse costume?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joe always claimed that the true name for the sit spin was the "sitz-spin."

:laugh: :laugh: Sounds like something he would say.

Doris said:
Afair, didn't he claim to have been part of an ice show, where he was in one half of a horse costume?

Now that you say that I do remember him saying something to that effect. :laugh:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was a personal friend of Joesitz and he didn't live too far from me in NYC. I knew he was in failing health. We saw each other periodically and were in touch quite often, then one day he stopped responding to my calls. I fear he may have passed on, but don't know for sure. He was quite a figure skating fan and a great guy.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread Joe and Wofice (Pauline), both NYers, (as I am) seemed to be engaged in an ongoing debate on just about everything FSing related when GS was on about.com (and not called GS). I learned so much about FSing from them. Joe was brilliant at spotting new talent. I always enjoyed his insightful posts. I miss him and if he has moved on from this life I hope that he is in an enlightened serene state.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Wofice,OTOH, left GS because she decided to do other things than type about skating. She was, among other things, a talented artist, and worked in a law office. For a while after she left, Wofice was a GS censored word, and she was referred to as She Who Must Not Be Named, since her name, if typed, came out like this ******

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wasn't that because she demanded all mention of her go away or some such nonsense? that was right before I got really involved :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
But I never knew what set her off in the first place. Maybe Sarah Hughes winning the Olympics?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But I never knew what set her off in the first place. Maybe Sarah Hughes winning the Olympics?

I seem to recall the story having something to do with Sarah, but like I said, that was just before I got involved with the board.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She hated Sarah's skating in a way that made it seem personal, not just fan stuff. I was just a poster, not a mod, at the time, and don't know the details, but all the red asterisks were quite a sight...

I thought Woffice liked Sarah Hughes and was angry that other posters didn't. (?) Later she became a Sasha fan, or was it Irina S.

Unfortunately, she did go away mad. I was sorry about that. I got along with her just fine. As Doris mentioned, she had artistic talent and created some really cute computer-generated "portraits" of her favorite skaters, especially Sasha and Michelle.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I remember her as a Sasha/Irina fan. I always wondered whether her username was do to being Woman Of Ice or something?

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I've enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing posters I haven't seen in a while. I joined in 2004 but really slowed down my posting during the early Mao v Yuna years, when nearly every thread seemed to deteriorate into a battle between the Mao-bots and the Yuna-bots. I didn't feel I had anything to add to the discussion.
That hasn't stopped me from lurking through nearly every competition, however. This board changed the way I enjoy my favorite sport. Thanks to all of you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is good to see you again, Ravyn Rant. You're welcome from all of us, but please post again, if only in Fan Fests!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I've enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing posters I haven't seen in a while. I joined in 2004 but really slowed down my posting during the early Mao v Yuna years, when nearly every thread seemed to deteriorate into a battle between the Mao-bots and the Yuna-bots. I didn't feel I had anything to add to the discussion.
That hasn't stopped me from lurking through nearly every competition, however. This board changed the way I enjoy my favorite sport. Thanks to all of you.

Now the threads all deteriorate into "Yuna wuzrobbed/Sochi scandal" and tedious Russian-bashing - apparently the men have 0 artistry and no skating ability - all of them, because only NA/Japanese skaters have those qualities! And the Russian ladies are all overrated, & their wins are always shady... :drama: :slink:

Thank heavens for the fan fests, indeed.

Now the threads all deteriorate into "Yuna wuzrobbed/Sochi scandal" and tedious Russian-bashing.

Well, before that we had long threads in feedback about all the Canada-bashing. Hang in there. This, too, shall pass. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, before that we had long threads in feedback about all the Canada-bashing. Hang in there. This, too, shall pass. :yes:

could be worse, you could be a fan of the "golden era" of North American skating (80s-90s) and have to read about how that skating all suck and the skaters are has beens ;)

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
Joined this board in 2004.
Was very active on SashaFans from mid 2002 through to its closing.
Also on FSU and the ISU's forum (when they had one back in the day)
Life has gotten in the way of posting more often....and I can't believe that its been over a decade since I came to the SkaterNet.