Sota Yamamoto | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

amonemae

Rinkside
Thanks for the link! Some really good stuff you have there (I like your words about Denis, and wow, Koshiro looks so tall and thin in that RT!). Ohh, how can one download that RT portrait photo from the medal ceremony you have there, where Sota makes that hilarious face?! :drama:
Sota definitely seems super-polite, and from the photos I've seen so far from his career, he seems to really like presents :laugh: And banners. At Heroes and Future, he specifically bowed to a fan sitting by the skater exit as he passed by (she was brandishing a huge Sota banner and even standing up so he could see her). Aww. Oh wait - does he speak English, or did you wish him good luck in Japanese? This is important for an international Sota fan to know. :)

Glad you had so much fun at your first competition. If I may give a piece of advice, if you ever see Sota live again, don't hesitate to ask for a photo. I made the exact same mistake as you last year - I was too shy to call out to Keiji at Nepela Trophy, and have regretted it since.

Aww thank you so much, I still miss Denis quite a lot, he is a big loss. I think you can save the photos from Twitter, but don't re-post them or if you do, ask permission and give proper credit. For Sota, I wish him good luck in Japanese hehe, we did it for all the skaters trying to say the word for good luck or fight in their language. I think he can understand a bit of English though, because some people said congratulations to him and he said thank you. Wow you saw Keiji, how great! I also want to see him live! Thank you for your advice, I hope we both have opportunities to do so in the future!

amonemae

Rinkside
I have a question because everyone keeps talking about the tech minimums to qualify for GP and how Sota has them now... didn't he already have them for CDP? Or CDP doesn't count because it's not Challenger? Also, does it also apply to the host spot that the Fed selects? Thank you!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
He always has such tasteful costumes :) And the Oda family crest on his right shoulder... I wonder what Nobunari's thoughts on this program are. :] And I wonder if the costumes are Orihara's work again.
Okay, this is just marginally Sota related, but can anyone please tell me how to download photos from Twitter into one's computer? I've seen a number of high quality SP and FP images on the Japanese Sota twitter fanpage, but it's maddening that I cannot see any way to dowload them when I click on them :tantrum: ///ETA - it apparently depends on whether the author wants to allow that or not? Another author's image was perfectly downloadable.)///

I'm still wondering if he'll get assigned to NHK by the federation or not, but one month from now at the latest, there should be a new bunch of Sota news. He's going to appear in the first Autumn episode of 'Kenji's Room' on TV at the beginning of September (I think the 11th). I hope to see news and images around (preferably downloadable).

DiamondDust

Final Flight

I like it too... looks like a starry night. or some water crystals :love:

I'm still wondering if he'll get assigned to NHK by the federation or not, but one month from now at the latest, there should be a new bunch of Sota news. He's going to appear in the first Autumn episode of 'Kenji's Room' on TV at the beginning of September (I think the 11th). I hope to see news and images around (preferably downloadable).

I hope he gets NHK :pray: it would be great to see him skate in a GP. :pray:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Congrats on this well deserved assignment! What an impressive comeback journey he's had after so much injury-related rotten luck. Can't wait to see him compete at NHK! :cheer2:

surimi

Record Breaker
I'm over the moon for Sota! Now I'm hoping he doesn't aggravate his old injury by training too much, as that's how the entire mess started :roll5: I hope he's learned how to combine practice and rest.

Among other happy Sota news, he's now in the A funding list. He was in B until now. Congrats!

And a reminder for fellow Sota fans, those who live in Japan will be fortunate enough to see an episode of 'Kenji's Room' on TV - the first episode of the season, and Sota is Kenji's guest. I wish I could watch and understand! :laugh:

@ anemonemae, I don't know if it's related to the question you asked a while ago, about the requirements for GP, but I saw a post on GS yesterday saying that to be added to the season's best list from which the available skaters are selected (presumably if one doesn't have enough points), you have to no less than win a Challenger. That may partly answer what you were wondering about...

saphire

On the Ice
Waking up to this good news that Sota is going to NHK. I have wished this would happen since GP assignments were announced. :yahoo:

saphire

On the Ice
I'm over the moon for Sota! Now I'm hoping he doesn't aggravate his old injury by training too much, as that's how the entire mess started :roll5: I hope he's learned how to combine practice and rest.

Among other happy Sota news, he's now in the A funding list. He was in B until now. Congrats!

And a reminder for fellow Sota fans, those who live in Japan will be fortunate enough to see an episode of 'Kenji's Room' on TV - the first episode of the season, and Sota is Kenji's guest. I wish I could watch and understand! :laugh:

@ anemonemae, I don't know if it's related to the question you asked a while ago, about the requirements for GP, but I saw a post on GS yesterday saying that to be added to the season's best list from which the available skaters are selected (presumably if one doesn't have enough points), you have to no less than win a Challenger. That may partly answer what you were wondering about...

I think episodes start 9/4 with Dai and one with Sota is next week

edit: the 9/4 episode is a rebroadcast and new episode with Sota will be 9/11 https://www.jsports.co.jp/skate/KENJI/

amonemae

Rinkside

Thank you, Surimi! I was really only trying to figure out if Sota would qualify for NHK but now that our hopes have been answered, am just really happy! I hope he does well!

surimi

Record Breaker
I hope they add his name later. If he goes to Nebelhorn, it will break my wallet (no chance of me going to Finland or ACI, too expensive), and if he's injured, it will break my heart. =_= I just hope he's okay.

ETA, does anyone know if one gets ranking points for placements lower than 5th? Because if not, then it wouldn't make much sense to send Sota to Nebelhorn against Samohin, Majorov, Messing, and Torgashev, who are likely to pass him. And Canada looks even less promising, with Yuzu, Reynolds, Kerry, Jason and Cha.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
ETA, does anyone know if one gets ranking points for placements lower than 5th? Because if not, then it wouldn't make much sense to send Sota to Nebelhorn against Samohin, Majorov, Messing, and Torgashev, who are likely to pass him. And Canada looks even less promising, with Yuzu, Reynolds, Kerry, Jason and Cha.

IIRC, it is the first 8 places for singles. From 300 points for the top to 144 for 8th place. It's first 5 for Pairs, and 6 for ID though.
Regular ISU comps have both lower points, and only the first 5 in all disciplines.

Also he got Finlandia! Woot.

surimi

Record Breaker
Oh my, Sota-kun going to Finlandia, big congrats! And so happy to see his buddy Ryuju going with him! :luv17:
Now, whatever am I going to do... so much money... :hopelessness: but Ryuju, Sota, and Rika, Miu/Ryuichi, and Liza T! :tantrum: