Breakout Stars since Sochi | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Breakout Stars since Sochi

peg

Medalist
Especially the comparison to Serafima surprises me too. IMO, Sima is a lot closer to Wakaba in body type than to Evgenia. Evgenia is very much the classical ballerina and has a slim build overall, and it's true that Wakaba (and IMO Sima for that matter) has a more muscular, athletic build. If you'd compare her to the average girl though, I bet she'd still look slim. And personally, I don't think Evgenias body type is giving her any advantage over the other two.

Exactly. Wakaba and Sima haves a more athletic build than Evgenia, but that in no way makes Wakaba stocky. She is a slim, athletic young girl, and as far as I'm concerned, looks lovely out on the ice. To me, her build in no way detracts from her skating

peg

Medalist
To me a breakout star is someone who captures the general public's imagination, which is different than who your favorite newcomer is. I can't think of any figure skater who has emerged as a breakout star since Sochi.

In fairness, I don't think the general public has been watching figure skating since Sochi ;)

I do think though, that people like Joshua and Shoma are making a lot of people sit up and take notice, when in the past they were kind of under the radar.

anyanka

Record Breaker
In fairness, I don't think the general public has been watching figure skating since Sochi ;)

I do think though, that people like Joshua and Shoma are making a lot of people sit up and take notice, when in the past they were kind of under the radar.

Unless you live in Japan. ;)

shine

Record Breaker
Papadakis/Cizeron
Wakaba Higuchi
My first impression of both was just WOW - no words.

Also love, love, love Lubov/Dylan, but neither of them is new. She's such a star... Best pairs skater since... I don't even know who.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd probably say Farris, Papadakis/Cizeron, Tarasova/Morozov, Uno. You have to give it up to Nguyen and Ge for being two of the only guys to have gone clean both SP+FS this season.

It's hard to characterize Radionova or Tuktamysheva as "breakout" stars... Elena has been on people's radar for some time, and Tukt already had a breakout season, so it's kinda weird for her to be able to have another one.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Exactly. Wakaba and Sima haves a more athletic build than Evgenia, but that in no way makes Wakaba stocky. She is a slim, athletic young girl, and as far as I'm concerned, looks lovely out on the ice. To me, her build in no way detracts from her skating

Wakaba and Sima are not stocky at all, they are petite and muscular with balanced proportions. Evgenia and Mariya have the delicate willowy body types to begin with and this season the length and thinness of their limbs was especially prevalent because they both have been growing so fast. It's just different builds, all of these girls have minimal body fat and considerable muscle and good body builds for skating. I can see how someone would call Wakaba compact, but stocky has a connotation for meaning heavy, chunky, or fat - which she clearly is NOT!

Anyways, breakout stars:

- Papadakis/Cizeron
- SHOMA UNO :love:
- Wakaba Higuchi
- Yuka Nagai (I know she wasn't a huge star this season but she came out of nowhere and is so good)
- Evgenia Medvedeva
- Josh Farris
- Tarasova/Morozov
- Marchei/Hotarek
- Denney/Frazier
- Rika Hongo (sorry, I like her)
- Queen Tuk
- Yu/Jin
- Nam Nguyen
- Takahito Mura
- Daisuke Murakami
- Hawayek/Baker
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva
- Danny Samohin
- Alexei Bychenko
- Angelina Kuchvalska
- Deniss V-something (cute Latvian kid at JW)

Yeah, that's a lot, but this season was so exciting!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know there are so many definitions but I would say the Canadian boy Nam Nguyen is a break out star since the Olympics. I think C and P were always stars imho.