Can someone please explain the difference between a flutz and a lip. | Golden Skate

Can someone please explain the difference between a flutz and a lip.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I understand the meaning of the word "Flutz" to be a combination between the Lutz and the Flip. However, I have never understood what it means to "Lip" a jump. Thank in advance.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It's the same thing, but in reverse. The difference that the technical panel cares about is what edge the skater is on when they take off, lutz is an outside edge, flip is an inside edge.

When a Lutz edge leans too far to the inside it becomes a flutz.

When a flip edge leans too far to the outside, it become a lip.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina Lips. Here is a video I made showing it off. Notice how she goes in on an outside edge to approach the jump. She should not take off on the outside edge though. On the first jump (the solo flip) she almost gets flat but is still very unclear so the tech panel gave her a "!". In the combination jump you can see how much force she has on the outside edge at take-off. Clear Flutz and the technical panel gave her a full on "e". It was much more clear in this case. Hope that helps a bit. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vry1DFmdFqU

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I understand the meaning of the word "Flutz" to be a combination between the Lutz and the Flip. However, I have never understood what it means to "Lip" a jump. Thank in advance.

Flutz = 'flipping' a lutz (not on a clear outside edge to be a lutz, when a skater's planned content is supposed to be a lutz)
Lip - 'lutzing' a flip (not on a slight inside edge to be a flip, when a skater's planned content is supposed to be a flip)

How I've always thought of the terms :eek:hwell:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thank you so much. I love this site for many reasons and this is one of them. :clap: