Coach with a Coach? | Golden Skate

Coach with a Coach?

Myblade

Rinkside
So, I have a question regarding coaches. is it a good idea to take private lessons with a coach that still competes nationally?

loopy

Final Flight
why not? Our friends take from national skater - they love their coach. The downside is that the coach is not available during their events at regionals and nationals, but they are mostly ISI skaters, not nationally ranked themselves and different competition schedules (ISI vs USFS).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So, I have a question regarding coaches. is it a good idea to take private lessons with a coach that still competes nationally?

I think what matters is that the relationship is a good fit and that the student can improve with the particular coach.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I think it can be great to take lessons from a coach who still competes. First of all, the coach is more likely to be aware of current judging standards and rules, and second, the coach still skates well enough to demonstrate everything he/she is teaching. Just make sure you have a backup coach who can work with you when your main coach has to travel for his/her own competitions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If your personality fits well with them, they teach in a style that you learn best in, and they have all their credentials, I don't see why not.

You would need to have an agreed backup plan for when the coach goes away to compete, however.

A coach who is still currently competing is (or SHOULD) have a better grasp of current rules for levels, spins, steps and jumps, if you wish to compete.

nox1

On the Ice
I have a coach with a coach. He's great, and is always learning, which I think is a good thing.