Breakup Stars Since Sochi | Golden Skate

Breakup Stars Since Sochi

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We know there are always break out stars but we seem to have some "break up" stars too. It seems there was a lot of break ups in dance and pairs and some new stars or pairings emerged.

I and Z both came from break ups and are really shining as are Lubov and Dylan Both might make the top ten in not even a year of being together. On the other hand the apparent instigators of the break ups are not doing nearly as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

anyanka

Record Breaker
The evil part of me loves the shade being thrown in this thread...

But I see where you're coming from: you mean to say who has benefited greatly from breakups and new pairings. I/Z and I/M are definite winners already, since the other pairs that resulted from the splits (MTM v. 2, S/K) didn't even make worlds for their respective countries.

I would add Valentina Marchei and Ondrej Hotarek to this list.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to be negative. I meant exactly what you are saying. Stuff happens and it is great to see these new combinations ie Marcei and Hotarek and I do like I and Z (though I kind of think I and K could have developed technically into something amazing but their fire and passion which is innate in both would have been gold - maybe platinum but life throws curves. I was trying to think of coaching break ups but I couldn't think of any great or overly wonderful switches since Sochi. I am not sure any of the American pairs have benefitted a lot. I am not sure with Kristen M was thinking because Dylan really shines with his new partner and her new partner struggles to lift a girl under five feet tall. I am willing to wait and see though about these new pairings. Let's see what Zueva can do with S and K. And I am morethan curious to see Savchenko and her new partner.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would add Valentina Marchei and Ondrej Hotarek to this list.

I think they are such a great team with amazing chemistry and timing. Valentina should've done pairs earlier, who knew?

They need some more difficult content (triple twists), but I see them being one of the top international pairs teams. And I'm not really into pairs either, but I will make a point to watch them in the future!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, to be fair, I'm not sure if anyone outright benefited from the splits--yet. I/K could've been winning Worlds this year, assuming he doesn't muck up his twizzles again. Obviously, I/Z have already achieved some things I/K never did, and it seems like Elena is happier in this new partnership. But let's face it for what it was: They broke up while they looked on track to dominate the next four years.

As for M-T/M, that's admittedly a harder one to place. Together, they'd probably accomplish more than Dylan or Kirsten currently have. However, with the way everyone's been skating this year, I think it'll be next to impossible for them to get on the World, 4CC, or GPF podium, even if they were still together.

...so, my vote goes to Marchei/Hotarek. :think:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to be negative. I meant exactly what you are saying. Stuff happens and it is great to see these new combinations ie Marcei and Hotarek and I do like I and Z (though I kind of think I and K could have developed technically into something amazing but their fire and passion which is innate in both would have been gold - maybe platinum but life throws curves. I was trying to think of coaching break ups but I couldn't think of any great or overly wonderful switches since Sochi. I am not sure any of the American pairs have benefitted a lot. I am not sure with Kristen M was thinking because Dylan really shines with his new partner and her new partner struggles to lift a girl under five feet tall. I am willing to wait and see though about these new pairings. Let's see what Zueva can do with S and K. And I am morethan curious to see Savchenko and her new partner.

It's just my own little malicious side that picked up on it. No worries, I understand you meant to reflect on the success of new partnerships. :) No harm, no foul!

For the US pairs, I'd like to see Marisa and Mervyn develop. Hopefully his tenure with Narumi wasn't the apex of his career. He's a great pairs skater.

I am on pins and needles waiting for Aljona and Bruno. Would they be eligible for the GP series starting next fall, getting Germany's spots? Or will they have to first qualify themselves with minimum scores at smaller events like Nebelhorn, Finlandia, the Autumn Classic, etc.?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think they are such a great team with amazing chemistry and timing. Valentina should've done pairs earlier, who knew?

They need some more difficult content (triple twists), but I see them being one of the top international pairs teams. And I'm not really into pairs either, but I will make a point to watch them in the future!

"La Strada" seemed so overdone, until an actual Italian pair made it a beautiful piece. They were lovely at Euros. "Happiest fourth place finishers ever!" I think the Eurosport UK commentator said? And as they said on TSL, are they part of "a secret SBS 3L club" to which only D/R belong? ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
"La Strada" seemed so overdone, until an actual Italian pair made it a beautiful piece. They were lovely at Euros. "Happiest fourth place finishers ever!" I think the Eurosport UK commentator said? And as they said on TSL, are they part of "a secret SBS 3L club" to which only D/R belong? ;)
Joshi Helgesson gives them a run for their money. :p

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well, to be fair, I'm not sure if anyone outright benefited from the splits--yet. I/K could've been winning Worlds this year, assuming he doesn't muck up his twizzles again. Obviously, I/Z have already achieved some things I/K never did, and it seems like Elena is happier in this new partnership. But let's face it for what it was: They broke up while they looked on track to dominate the next four years.

As for M-T/M, that's admittedly a harder one to place. Together, they'd probably accomplish more than Dylan or Kirsten currently have. However, with the way everyone's been skating this year, I think it'll be next to impossible for them to get on the World, 4CC, or GPF podium, even if they were still together.

I/K were always so inconsistent there is no telling how they would have done this year. Yes, there was Swan Lake. But there was also Ghost.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yes obviously s/k can't even make minimums and go to worlds while the dumpees can win a medal but they probably won't.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I/K were always so inconsistent there is no telling how they would have done this year. Yes, there was Swan Lake. But there was also Ghost.
But with the way the judges were scoring them, they'd likely win everything as long as don't melt down. Granted, they're not exactly a team known for hitting their elements all the time... but let's just say there's a reason most people thought Nikita was crazy to split at that point in their careers. (It worked out fine for Elena in the end, though.)

peg

Medalist
But with the way the judges were scoring them, they'd likely win everything as long as don't melt down. Granted, they're not exactly a team known for hitting their elements all the time... but let's just say there's a reason most people thought Nikita was crazy to split at that point in their careers. (It worked out fine for Elena in the end, though.)

Except that they so often did make significant errors, and in dance, a significant error is more costly in terms of placement because teams generally make fewer of those. Sure, they won bronze at Olys, but they were of the podium at Worlds - without V/M and D/W because of the error in the SD.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I think that I/Z could realistically place as high as 4th at Worlds. They were second at Euros after the short dance, and at GPF they were 4th in the FD, so it's not that far-fetched. And in that case, Elena would equal her best Worlds result with Nikita.

uhh

Medalist
Except that they so often did make significant errors, and in dance, a significant error is more costly in terms of placement because teams generally make fewer of those. Sure, they won bronze at Olys, but they were of the podium at Worlds - without V/M and D/W because of the error in the SD.

I get your point about the inconsistency, but I don't think Worlds 2014 is the best example to use, because Nikita had obviously already mentally checked out of the partnership & it was amazing that Elena held it together as well as she did when she knew her partner was planning to ditch her. With all that going on they only missed the gold by just over a point. The worlds FD performance coupled with the way they coped with the pressure of the Olympics really reflected their attitude shift towards their training that they'd had over the previous season & if they'd followed it up with a move to a more positive training environment like Elena had believed was planned instead of Nikita ditching everything I think their reliability would only have grown just as D/W's did as they continued to mature. However, it's all moot because of the choices Nikita made, so...

In answer to the original question, Ruslan is obviously a huge winner from this situation, he gets a stronger partner, within 6 months his new team is beating every score his old team got, everyone has been saying he's improving so much. Elena wins for now in the immediate post split battle with Nikita, although it remains to be seen whether she'll have the long term success people were anticipating for her & Nikita - barring injury and even accounting for their inconsistancy, you would bet I/K would have won multiple world medals & likely another Olympic medal in 2018. I/Z have made a great start, but we still can't really tell what point they'll get to overall. Same for Dylan - he's obviously come out with the stronger post split team, but I/M aren't yet where M-T/M were.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Agreed. How many teams with a singles skater becoming a pairs skater have done so well at their first major ISU championship! Not to mention, SBS triple lutzes. :love: I'm very excited for this team, and I love it when skaters like Marchei try new ventures (and succeed!).

I/Z also gets my vote given that they had the early season struggles that come with a new partnership but pushed through it to win Nationals and become arguably the top Russian team going into Worlds.

meteorlight8

Rinkside

Nikita not mucking up his twizzles is a pretty big assumption though - I feel like I've seen him mess up way more than not over the years. While I do think they were on track in judges' minds to dominate this quad, I'm not sure when push comes to shove they really could've done it - a toxic working relationship could do a lot to derail all that natural talent ...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Nikita not mucking up his twizzles is a pretty big assumption though - I feel like I've seen him mess up way more than not over the years. While I do think they were on track in judges' minds to dominate this quad, I'm not sure when push comes to shove they really could've done it - a toxic working relationship could do a lot to derail all that natural talent ...
True. I'm most certainly not nostalgic for I/K. Just saying, with the way the judges were marking them, splitting was quite the step backwards (even though Elena seems to be going on track again--and I'm glad about that. :))