Breaking in skates | Golden Skate

Breaking in skates

Myblade

Rinkside
I am getting new skates this week, super excited! But I need to know how to break them in. Can anyone give me advice on breaking in either Jackson freestyles or competitors? Thanks guys!

PS I am not overweight and I am fairly easy-going on boots

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Get them heat-molded. Most stores will do it for free during the fitting/purchasing process.

I could hardly believe how fast and easy it was to break in my skates when they were heat molded.

loopy

Final Flight
In the beginning, leave the top hook or two unhooked.
Agreed about heat molding! Also, if there is pain in a spot, don't suffer through it. My pro punches out painful spots.

i found this on the jackson site:
Breaking in Jackson Skates
OFF ICE
DO NOT walk on boots that are not bladed. Once bladed and with skate guards on, lace up somewhat loose at top. Do knee bends and/or walk up stairs slowly and carefully. Stop this process periodically and unlace and relace skates. Do not ignore chafing or irritation - blisters could result.
ON ICE
Wear thin socks
Lace and unlace boots several times before each skating session
Lacing at top of boot should be loose
Keep initial skating sessions short
Do not allow pressure points to blister and become infected. Cover pressure points with moleskin, medical tape or form pads. Periodically apply vaseline to pressure points.
If necessary, have pressure points, especially around the ankle area, 'punched out'. Your skate dealer or local orthopedic shop could help you with this.

Last edited: