Listening to "the Golden Oldies" | Golden Skate

Listening to "the Golden Oldies"

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As I lurk and offer the odd reply here at Golden Skate, I usually listen to my radio or CD player. Tonight, I am listening to the "golden Oldies" It's kind of nice - hearing some of the old tunes. Takes me back. I just heard "Judy in Disguise" and before that "Good Morning Starshine." Great stuff.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Tho only on air radio station I can get in my building at work is the local oldies station. I'm afraid I've gone over to listening to a classical internet station instead only because their play list is only about 10 songs long (or so it seems to me). I actually do enjoy the "oldies" - just a sucker for a good rock and roll song or a pop song with fun lyrics and "beat you can dance to" :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
One of my favorite "oldies" is "American Pie". I hear that and go into an immediate "time" warp. (Here's one singer who doesn't have a great voice, but sure can make a statement......hey, I bet he would have done well on AI ;) ). Anyway, certain songs send me back in time, like "Up, Up and Away" by the 5th Dimension. Takes me back to the first time I went camping.......42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love the Golden Oldies (or as we eville teens call them the "Moldy Oldies") I think the singers from "back in the day" were way more talented than the "stars" of my generation (the early Michael Jackson stuff is even better than that Brittany Spears nastiness)

Becca84

Rinkside
Well, I'm too young to remember "back in the day", but I do enjoy listening to the oldies! They are alot of fun & better than much of todays stuff...

Kateri

On the Ice
I agree - Michael Jackson an oldie??
Please...stop making me feel ancient at the tender age of 22!!:cry: :cry:

k...

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I agree - Michael Jackson an oldie??Please...stop making me feel ancient at the tender age of 22!!
Oh please....what were you, like 2 years old when "Thriller" came out? I remember buying "Off the Wall" in 1980. You weren't even born yet! :eek:

I love all of these really bad 70s songs that I remember from my childhood. I recently got a 'best-of' CD of Linda Ronstat and have been enjoying it so much. Don't throw thing.:laugh:

Kateri

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Oh please....what were you, like 2 years old when "Thriller" came out? I remember buying "Off the Wall" in 1980. You weren't even born yet! :eek:

My best friend when I was very small was a huge MJ fan, and made me listen to Thriller all the time!! Early exposure!

k.:D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I didn't say Michael JAckson was an oldie... good grief. :rolleye: I said that even Michael Jackson's early stuff is better than the stuff of the newest generation :rolleye: I don't like Michael Jackson... but his 80s music was ok... which is saying something because 80s music is scary LOL

oldies aren't oldies unless they're on the oldies station...

Mamas and the Papas, Elvis(;)), Beatles, Rolling Stones... Ricky Nelson...

the only oldies that are bad are country oldies... the country from the 90s on to the new millenium is WAY BETTER! ;)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
This post is making me feel old. I've been sitting here listening to the Raspberries. [Eric Carmen before he ripped off Chopin] For the last 30 years, I thought the words were ''Please go away.'' I just now found out, it's actually ''Please go all the way.'' I hope no one ever heard me singing it.

Michael Jackson had hits way before his ''Off the Wall'' album, so I would consider a lot of his songs oldies. I wonder if his Ode to a Rat [Ben] could be considered an early warning sign?

I am a major Motown/ 40's through 60's pop fan. My eldest loves REAL oldies, both classical and opera. That's my dh's influence. He was a classical pianist/professor. When I was pregnant with her, he would insist on playing Schubert to my belly. I don't think that really influenced her taste in music, but he believed it.

It's my youngest that really makes me feel ancient. Her music sounds like braying hounds being beaten with trash cans. I always think, ''you call that music'' and then realize- I'M TURNING INTO MY MOTHER!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm 19 and whenever I hear the "newest greatest" stuff I shake my head and ask the same question LOL

then again my parents are a little older than most so my music influences weren't 80s stars LOL they were Elvis, Michael Jackson(my mother is weird LOL), Beatles, Beach Boys (couldn't think of them earlier) and the Temptations... JAckson 5 was my first "band crush"... I did like "New Kids on the Block" and "MC Hammer" too... but they had tv shows on Sat. Morning ;)

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Does CCR count as an oldie???? They are my fav, although I saw CCR (but the R now stands for 'revisited' as they no longer have fogerty as the lead but some other hack) and they were not so hot.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Susanbeth:

This post is making me feel old. I've been sitting here listening to the Raspberries. [Eric Carmen before he ripped off Chopin]

Actually, it was Rachmaninoff - based on Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43. - the tune was "All By Myself" - good stuff.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Do any of you remember The Raspberries album that was released in 1972 that had a scratch and sniff raspberry scented label on the cover?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Lad- You are correct. I'm going to have to have to stop trusting my memory. I've been blowing brain cells left and right lately.

I remember hearing about a scratch and sniff album cover. Just think, that was probably cutting edge technology back in the day.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
"Raspberries".............I must have been in a time warp in the 70's......don't remember that group.............42