Melissa Bulanhagui | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Melissa Bulanhagui

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A variation of this happens to skaters all the time, especially when there is only one spot. In 2006, Australia had one spot, which was earned by Jo Carter. However, Australia had the rule of sending the national champion, which was Miriam Manzano. Australia's compromise was not well-liked by Australians--they decided to send Jo Carter, who had been to the Olympics before (13th in Nagano) over Manzano, whose best Worlds finish was 25th.

Even when there are two spots, it can get hairy. In 2006, Andrea Vaturi and his partner were the 2nd-ranked Italian dance team, until their coaches, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio decided to come back.

Such complicatins and controversies couldn't possibly happen in the US? Could it? :think:

Seeing many federations, including strong ones with real contenders, help send their skaters to be trained overseas, they wouldn't discriminate against foreign trained skaters in case of hard decisions, would they? :think:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Such complicatins and controversies couldn't possibly happen in the US? Could it? :think:

Seeing many federations, including strong ones with real contenders, help send their skaters to be trained overseas, they wouldn't discriminate against foreign trained skaters in case of hard decisions, would they? :think:

Oh yes it has--but only in ice dance. The first instance I can remember was when Renee Rocca teamed with Gorsha Sur. Punsalan and Swallow allegedly tried to block Gorsha's citizenship so he couldn't go to Lillehammer, because they (P/S) only did well enough to qualify one team to the Olympics.

The second was when Belbin/Agosto were the second-best team in the US (and the fifth-best team in the world). A bill went through Congress that, if passed (eventually it did) would give athletes and individuals who are contributing to American society in a great way a fast track to citizenship. One of the lesser-ranked dance teams' parents tried to push a bill that would have blocked it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yeah, Blue Dog, it was one of my not so clever snarks. I'm no hostorian like you, but have seen enough of debates on which US skaters to send to Worlds just this past year and am expecting such debates to heat up even more intensely this coming season with even fewer spots available. Citizenship issue is not even involved.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Just to get the details straighter:

Oh yes it has--but only in ice dance. The first instance I can remember was when Renee Rocca teamed with Gorsha Sur. Punsalan and Swallow allegedly tried to block Gorsha's citizenship so he couldn't go to Lillehammer, because they (P/S) only did well enough to qualify one team to the Olympics.

It was Roca/Sur who "only did well enough (at 1993 Worlds) to qualify one team to the Olympics." Punsalan/Swallow's only previous Worlds appearance had been 1991. But that was pretty much par for the course for US teams in that era.

http://www.eskatefans.com/skatabase/worlddance1990.html

1991 Munich, GER
9 April Sargent/Russ Witherby USA
11 Elizabeth Punsalan/Jerod Swallow USA

1992 Oakland, USA
9 April Sargent/Russ Witherby USA
15 Rachel Mayer/Peter Breen USA

1993 Prague, CZE
11 Rene Rocha/Gorsha Sur USA
15 Susie Wynne/Russ Witherby USA

And afterward:

1994 Chiba, JPN
12 Elizabeth Punsalan/Jerod Swallow USA

1995 Birmingham, GBR
10 Rene Rocha/Gorsha Sur USA

1996 Edmonton, CAN
7 Elizabeth Punsalan/Jerod Swallow USA
14 Rene Rocha/Gorsha Sur USA

I don't know why this site has Roca's name misspelled as Rocha.

The return of professional skaters (Roca, Sur, and Wynne were all reinstated pros) and the breakup of the Soviet Union sure changed the competitiveness of international ice dance from the early to the mid-1990s.

The second was when Belbin/Agosto were the second-best team in the US (and the fifth-best team in the world). A bill went through Congress that, if passed (eventually it did) would give athletes and individuals who are contributing to American society in a great way a fast track to citizenship. One of the lesser-ranked dance teams' parents tried to push a bill that would have blocked it.

In 2002, Belbin/Agosto were the #2 US dance team but since Belbin was not a citizen (and was too young and had not been in the country long enough to qualify for citizenship), they were not eligible for the Olympics. They did compete at both Junior Worlds (where they won gold, completing their rise from bronze to silver the previous two years) and Worlds that year.

In 2006, Belbin/Agosto were the #1 US dance team and in fact were the reigning world silver medalists, the best result ever for a US team at that point. That was the year that there was a push to expedite her citizenship and that another team's parent opposed (although the opposition may have been more to eliminate competition from Max Zavozin, whose citizenship was also affected by the bill, than from the reigning US champs and world medalists).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting thoughts. I always have mixed feelings about this type of situation, where a skater who represents the US chooses to shift to another country. I can justify it happening in pairs and dance, since you have two skaters and the partnership needs to work out...but singles, meh. The skater is free, of course, to make whatever decision she thinks will benefit her the most- whether that is fighting to get to the top in a "hard" country or switching to an "easier" country in hopes of more international opportunities. Nothing wrong with the latter, per se- in fact, in some instances it may even be preferred if the skater actually has a legitimate tie to the country she's now trying to represent.

This is a very personal thing, and likely minority opinion, but I always have the utmost respect for those who stick it out for the country they represent initially...and if it's a country with deep talent, fighting their way to the top and breaking through. Of course, there's only so much space at the top, and some skaters with that "connection" who have talent may wish to get more international opportunities skating for their country of inheritance (or any country that will take them). The positive is that if the skater ends up doing well, it could inspire locals to take up skating (Yuna kim and Korea comes to mind for example)...and of course that trip(s) to worlds/Olys that wouldn't have happened if the skater stuck with her country of origin.

Anyway, good luck to her and may she get that trip to Worlds/Olys she so wants. My only hope is that she genuinely cares for that country and wears their flag proudly, just like a true native would. That's a huge part of the Olympic experience. When you march into that Olympic stadium under your country's name, that's a really big deal.

What an interesting discussion!

I kind of like the idea of a skater going off to represent another country if it gives that country a better chance to earn more spots in the long run. The homegrown skater who is deprived of a world spot that year might actually benefit down the road, if the "imported" skater is good enough and can win a second spot. (That doesn't always happen, but there is always the possibility of another Dianne de Leeuw, who skated for the Netherlands and won a world gold and an Olympic silver in the 1970s.)

I can see why a skater would want to take this path, especially if she's in a country with a crowded field--it's hard for a kid to wait her turn when the time frame is so short for a' female singles skater to have a decent competitive career. (In a sport where you're in danger of being a has-been at nineteen, why would a fifteen-year-old want to take her time?)

I can see the arguments for both sides, but in terms of where someone competes for versus where that person trains, I'd like to point out that in certain other sports, notably track and field, a huge number of competitors from other countries live and train in the U.S. (many of them as college students) and compete for their home countries. I know this isn't exactly parallel, but it's close in that the runners in question use American training facilities and coaches and then compete (often very effectively) against Americans. I can't think of specific examples right now, but I'd just like to add that idea to the mix.

As far as some of the other skating examples, I think Belbin had an extra complication in her reasons for applying for U.S. citizenship: she had been paired with the American Agosto (can't remember the circumstances). Either Belbin or Agosto would have had to compete for his/her non-home country, and for whatever reason, it was Belbin who decided to do so. Roca and Sur were also exceptional: I think Sur left his home country long enough ago so that he was actually defecting from the Soviet Union, if I'm not mistaken. It was unfortunate that his attempt to expedite his American citizenship came during the tenure of the other best couple we'd had in a long time, the appealing Punsalan and Swallow. Someone was bound to end up deprived in that situation.

ballerynna

Rinkside
The Philippines does allow dual citizenship, and it's really easy to get dual citizenship if one or both of your parents are/were Philippine citizens. Melissa will also be part of the not so recent spate of Fil-Foreigns that represent the Philippines (the Philippine football team Azkals and the Philippine rugby team Volcanoes are an example). I don't particularly care why they decided to represent my country as long as they're proud and happy to represent us. My mom jokes that we're only now benefiting from the heavy migration stance of the Philippine government because Filipinos who marry other nationalities have children now competing for the country

What she has to guard against however is forgetting to bring her dual citizenship papers when competing. I seem to remember one of other skaters that represent PHL couldn't compete because she didn't have her papers. It's happening in other sports too, two of our national basketball team players recently weren't allowed to play because the team didn't forward their papers or something

If anyone is interested, there are Fil-Ams that continue to represent the US in the Olympics. Apparently, Natalie Coughlin (Swimming) was approached by the Philippine Sports Commission before the Athens Olympics or Beijing Olys if she was interested in representing the Philippines and she refused

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
While I can see both sides of the equation, I think healthy competition is a good thing (especially in cases where citizenship is not an issue such as this one). While it's nice if native skaters can do well enough to advance their country somewhat, isn't it even better if they can improve thier skills enough to earn the top spot even over someone with dual citizenship? When skaters like Melissa choose to represent thier family's ancestral nation, they often raise the bar for the other skaters, giving those other skaters a higher goal to shoot for. This could have the effect of raising the level of the sport as a whole in that nation.

While I can see both sides of the equation, I think healthy competition is a good thing (especially in cases where citizenship is not an issue such as this one). While it's nice if native skaters can do well enough to advance their country somewhat, isn't it even better if they can improve thier skills enough to earn the top spot even over someone with dual citizenship? When skaters like Melissa choose to represent thier family's ancestral nation, they often raise the bar for the other skaters, giving those other skaters a higher goal to shoot for. This could have the effect of raising the level of the sport as a whole in that nation.

Tremendously well put!

R.D.

Record Breaker

That's true also. Kind of like what I said, but better stated.

Still though- I can't help but think it means more to a true native than it would to an "import" (for lack of a better term; I do not mean this in a negative way) to truly feel and represent the country in competition (like Olys, etc). And, again, since no one wants to say it, I will: it could be perceived as taking the "easy way out" as opposed to "earning your stripes" as they say.

ballerynna

Rinkside

Still though- I can't help but think it means more to a true native than it would to an "import" (for lack of a better term; I do not mean this in a negative way) to truly feel and represent the country in competition (like Olys, etc). And, again, since no one wants to say it, I will: it could be perceived as taking the "easy way out" as opposed to "earning your stripes" as they say.

Could be, we have to understand however that Filipinos consider anyone with a drop of Filipino blood as "ours". People usually don't care that it's the easy way out because they're ours anyway. IDEK

It's an interesting point to consider, R.D. However, I don't think it's an easy way out because no one would be coasting to the top. To be good, any skater has to work very, very hard. The difference would be that the level of top performance might be higher in a country with an experienced skating program and a crowded field, such as Canada, the U.S., or Japan (since we're talking about ladies right now), whereas the same level of achievement would get a skater higher on the "ladder" of a country with less current depth and background in skating. Add to that the fact that when competing internationally, this theoretical skater would have to compete with not just other Filipinos but with the Americans, Canadians, Japanese, Italians, Russians, and so on who make up the world's best. So the only easier thing would be earning a spot on the particular nation's team. Everything else is the same grind as if the skater had competed for the country she lives in rather than the country of her parents' (or parent's) origin.

In my view, the stripes would be earned as the skater skates internationally--thus (it is hoped) earning one or more additional spots for that nation's team next year. Hard work and a lot of responsibility, in other words.

ballerynna

Rinkside
It's an interesting point to consider, R.D. However, I don't think it's an easy way out because no one would be coasting to the top. To be good, any skater has to work very, very hard. The difference would be that the level of top performance might be higher in a country with an experienced skating program and a crowded field, such as Canada, the U.S., or Japan (since we're talking about ladies right now), whereas the same level of achievement would get a skater higher on the "ladder" of a country with less current depth and background in skating. Add to that the fact that when competing internationally, this theoretical skater would have to compete with not just other Filipinos but with the Americans, Canadians, Japanese, Italians, Russians, and so on who make up the world's best. So the only easier thing would be earning a spot on the particular nation's team. Everything else is the same grind as if the skater had competed for the country she lives in rather than the country of her parents' (or parent's) origin.

In my view, the stripes would be earned as the skater skates internationally--thus (it is hoped) earning one or more additional spots for that nation's team next year. Hard work and a lot of responsibility, in other words.

Well said

R.D.

Record Breaker

True, the ride to the top internationally would be about the same. In countries with a lot of depth, simply getting the opportunity to do international competitions is an accomplishment in itself. By going to a nation where qualification is easier, one does take that feeling away.

Will Mel B ever be a world medalist? No. But maybe some hardware at B-level events is achievable. And let's not forget that all-important opportunity to skate at the Olympics. Seems like the only potential thing standing in her way now would be health.

prettykeys

Medalist
Interesting thoughts. I always have mixed feelings about this type of situation, where a skater who represents the US chooses to shift to another country. I can [better] justify it happening in pairs and dance, since you have two skaters and the partnership needs to work out...but singles, meh...
This is a very personal thing, and likely minority opinion, but I always have the utmost respect for those who stick it out for the country they represent initially...
Completely agree. The comparisons of Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan don't neatly apply because they were both Americans (American-born, American-raised, American-representing). I can't help but not respect Bulanhagui's choice as much because it looks like it was a choice made out of convenience (not that I can blame her, but I've always taken the harder road when it better matched my principles). If she always wanted to represent the Philippines more then she should have from the get-go.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
... shrug. It's really hard for me to have much of an opinion about this.

Russian born coaches Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva coach out of the United States. She's a Canadian citizen with a Canadian-born son who now competes for Russia. Their top teams are from Canada and the USA, but she also choreographs for Russian and Japanese skaters.

Vanessa Crone was born in Romania, adopted by Canadians. Florent Amodio was born in Brazil, adopted by a French couple.

Andre Rogozine was born in Russia.

Victor Kraatz was born in West Germany, raised in Switzerland, competed only for Canada.

Now in the aforementioned cases, immigration was involved, so it's definitely different, Is it convenient? Yep. Is it an opportunity? Yep. But in a world where first and last names are on a collision course, I don't see the big deal. Nor do I believe it's somehow more principled or respectful for Bulanghui to compete for the USA.

fscric

On the Ice
I don't understand why some people are so critical of her decision. I know she's taking the easy way, but can you 100% say you would not do the same if you had the same chance?!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It would have been impossible for her to represent the Philippines since beginning because PSU wasn't an ISU member until 2007. Philippines didn't have the requisite number of rinks until then. Now she could have competed only ISI events until then, but what would be the point? Also, she could have been third-generation and we would still welcome her as a Filipina. Go Mel!

ghislaine

Rinkside
At the end of the day, it's HER career. SHE and her family are paying for training. It's HER body taking the beating that skating competitively gives. SHE gets to decide what's best for her and how best to achieve her goals. I don't think it's dishonest or lazy on her part to switch countries. She's trying to make it to the Olympics, or at least compete internationally more than once in two years. I'm looking forward to see her more often. :)