Waterproofing | Golden Skate

Waterproofing

Myblade

Rinkside
I just bought new jackson freestyle skates and I am wondering how to waterproof them. I don't have snow seal so could I use Vaseline or some ski wax around the place wear the boot meets outsole? Also, do you have to melt the wax before you apply it? As you can see, I am very confused by this matter, and would be very grateful if someone took the time to explain it in great detail to a beginner. Thanks a lot !

loopy

Final Flight
Where did you buy them from? Before our blades our permanently our skate tech treats the soles. For some people it's SnoSeal and others it's varnish. This is from the Jackson webpage "Periodically treat your boots with a water repellent (such as SnoSeal or bees wax); making sure boots are dry first. Complete no sooner than 12 hours after your last skate. "

The reason he treats them before mounting is to prevent moisture from getting trapped between the blade plate and sole. He also puts some sort of seal around the blade plate.

For chips in the sole my daughter gets (the edges where it meets the skate), I will rub SnoSeal on them since they lack the varnish.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You CAN skate on non-waterproofed skates, but you will kill the length of time they will last because the sole will rot. Use beeswax if you don't have Sno Seal

Scamper

Spectator
OK We just got a new pair of boots no blades mounted yet. I used the Never wet , It was amazing repelled water and left surface dry as a bone! Now the problem we went to mount the blades and the never wet product peeled right off the sole. It just will not adhere. So on to the next solution I applied Sno Seal and worked perfectly. I have been advised by someone that knows, that you can use carnuba wax as well or check out car care finishing waxes that offer a ton of protection. As for us I will touch up with other wax but for now we have a sealed sole and blades that are now mounted and a happy skater! I also ran a thin bead of Marine 100% Silcone Sealant around the mounting plates to prevent water from getting under the plate and causing damage! it dried clear so unless you are looking fro it it is next to invisible!

Last edited: