PASSION, PASSION, What is it? | Golden Skate

PASSION, PASSION, What is it?

PASSION, PASSION - What is it? and Who has it? Can it win without a Quad?

A few seasons back there were three top Dance Teams, French, Italian and Russian. The fans of each proclaimed that their favorite had passion. So....

1. What exactly is Passion?, and which skater or team has it?

2. Spectators are definitely passionate about a skater. Why?

3. Is it essential in scoring?

The above when answered will make us think about using that adjective/adverb.

Joe

IDLERACER

Medalist
I thought Passion was that popular homoerotic snuff film that Mel Gibson produced and directed.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Passion [For people who are not my teenagers] experiencing the feeling of the moment with seemingly little thought given to other considerations. Being in the moment and allowing the emotional to outweigh the intellectual.

Passion [For my teenagers] Something you are not going to need to worry about, until such time as I can cope with the thought. j/k

Becca84

Rinkside
1. To me it's showing emotion/attack & really connecting w/ the music. Ex. Alexei Yagudin

2. Because that skater touches you on some level w/ their skating.

3. Not necessarily under CoP (it can more under 6.0), but a program w/ passion (emotion) has a stronger impact & is typically received better.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Passion

Idleracer - You must be thinking of Troy; glistening mediocre actor cutting down at least 165 soldiers in what must be the biggest bloated $175 million dollar beef and cheeze fest since that Taylor Burton mound of trash. Now thats a homoerotic snuff film.....

Joesitz - Seeing the word passion and I immediately think of Yags and actually most Russian dance and pairs teams. Yags so fully invested in his skating he appeared to be unable (or unwilling) to skate without some kind of internal intensity.......

That fire is one thing I love in both skating and of course opera!

Tenorguy

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
To me the impresson of a skater having/showing passion and power comes from that I´m able to feel it really originating from a skater´s own person and personality.

A total contrary to the above is "a humbug passion" created just by a choreography, that I can actually see as showing of a pure athletism only. That fact is tried to be disguised by a clever choreographer using aerobics moves, just increasing a skating speed, etc.

Last edited:
Passion, for me, is when an artist, scientist, or other professionals have when they are totally involved in their work and have the determination to succeed in their endeavours. Although, ficti on, I would suggest Don Quijote. As silly as he might seem, he had passion..

I'm not at all sure if that passion is always visible and I would think that one's culture would allow one to see the passion of an artist. Therefore, I think it may well be a subjective feeling. In opera I feel tpassionate about Destefano and Calas. there are some I feel in figure skating..

Joe

andromica

Rinkside
Ok, I shall try and explain my complex thoughts on passion...

Passion to me can be a lot of things. For example, attempting to express and realize our heart's goals through the everyday practices of our lives. To me passion is the body; heart and soul, reality is the mind. Body opposed to mind, and emotions to the rational. Passion often battles reason, where the body being the irrational part and the mind the rational. That’s why mind often wins over body. We just can't accept losing control. Passion speaks through actions.

To what extent we accept losing control determine the level of passion. In skating balance is needed between body and mind.

Often people begin to move toward their goals with a hopeful outlook and heart-felt enthusiasm. But without a committed inner passion and a sense of the true value of achieving the goal, they are easily defeated when the going gets tough.

It is a word filled with imagery and raw, human emotions and feelings.

Ok, now after that rather long, confusing and boring definition I will answer Joesitz questions...my answers are JMO.

1. Kwan, Yagudin, Plushenko, A&P (wish I knew more about the skaters from the past. Therefor I cannot bring any of them up as examples)

2. Personally I think we/audience respons to the passion showing. The greater level of passion the greater the respons (at least that's how I work.) Of course that doesn't count for skaters skating in their homeland because no matter what they will receive a great respons :laugh:

3. In a way, yes, as passion speaks through actions. Words such as determination, conviction, energy, attack, abandon, fervency, fire are connected to passion that I think unconsciously may affect the judging. To me, all skaters has it, just different levels of it.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think passion is a sharing of one’s emotions with another. For instance when I saw Alexei perform Memorial, I was in awe and felt whatever feeling (intensity, excitement, passion) he was conveying at the moment. Yet, I’ve read where another person saw him perform Memorial and thought what a wasted program. Yet, I saw a wonderful magnificent skate.

Dee