Why skating in the U.S. is strugglng | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why skating in the U.S. is strugglng

anyanka

Record Breaker
The culture seems to have shifted. It used to be that young girls idolized Peggy, Dorothy, Kristi, Michelle and Tara and wanted to become champions. They all captured the public imagination in a way that was incredible and made them tremendous celebrities. But once Kwan hung up her skates it seemed the well had run dry and American girls no longer wanted to just do jumps and spins. It might be that there are so many more options for young women these days in sports. They've seen the rise in popularity in sports that used to be traditionally dominated by men: soccer, hockey, snowboarding, etc. They want to do daring adventure / extreme sports , and someone like Lindsay Vonn, Julia Mancuso and others increased in popularity over figure skaters.

Maybe we need Tonya Harding to come back one more time ... :slink:

Sacto95834

Rinkside
The legacy of great American Ladies' Champions/World medalist has been a long one until the mid-2000s. Since the plane crash tragedy, American Ladies' Champions/World Medalist is almost unbroken:

Peggy Fleming
Janet Lynn
Julie Lynn Holmes (while not a American Champ, won medals at the Worlds)
Dorothy Hamill
Linda Fratianne
Elaine Zayak
Rosalyn Sumners
Tiffany Chin
Debi Thomas
Caryn Kadavy (World medalist, not American champ)
Jill Trenary
Kristi Yamaguchi
Holly Cook (World medalist, not American Champ)
Tonya Harding
Nancy Kerrigan
Nicole Bobek
Michelle Kwan (most decorated American Champion)
Tara Lipinski
Sarah Hughes (OGM, World Medalist)
Sasha Cohen
Kimmie Meissiner

During these decades of excellence (late 60s-2000s) American Women were almost without fail on the World podium, several times multiple American women stood on the podium. The only years I can think of with a gap was the 69 (US took 4th & 5th, Janet Lynn & JL Holmes) and 93/94 Worlds - bad skate from Nancy and the USFSA decided, in it's infinite wisdom, not to send Tonya Harding as a backup (93), weak team after Olympics in 94 - NK retired/Michelle Kwan's 1st World.

Last edited:
The main point of the second half of the article is that the Russian government gives money to figure skating. The U.S. government doesn't. It's not the American way. ;) Neither does the US government give "tax-payer's money" to the University of Kentucky's basketball team.

Best line: If you are under 14, bring along a parent when you negotiate for sponsorship with a private corporation.

The first half of the article blames the U.S. for approaching the sport as something fun for kids, rather than something you might win a medal at if you are fierce enough.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The main point of the second half of the article is that the Russian government gives money to figure skating. The U.S. government doesn't. It's not the American way. ;) Neither does the US government give "tax-payer's money" to the University of Kentucky's basketball team.

Best line: If you are under 14, bring along a parent when you negotiate for sponsorship with a private corporation.

The first half of the article blames the U.S. for approaching the sport as something fun for kids, rather than something you might win a medal at if you are fierce enough.

Speaking of cycles...UK team two years ago lost in the first round of the NIT....now look at them! Still won't cheer for them though. Go Louisville!

flying camel

Medalist
I agree that the younger girls need more experience and exposure. The problem seems to be learning to compete in international competition. There is a class title right there. They need to hold a seminar on that topic. The US ladies can skate. We all saw nationals. There were some great performances. But when these ladies have to do it on the international level they can't deliver. Everyone is to scared.

Ashley and Gracie were a big disappointment. I'm not looking forward to the LP. If you can't land three jumps in the SP how are you going to skate the LP.

I want to see changes from USFSA. It's embarrassing with all the champions we have had and now we just can't do it anymore. I agree that the juniors should compete more against each other and more at international competition. They have that champs camp once a year. They need to start having it every couple of months. Make it proactive.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The Soviet years were focused on pairs skating and not so much on singles. It was a similar strategy that has been adopted by the Chinese federation. Both the USSR and China had strong traditions in gymnastics and I believe that pairs skating had the big throws, athletic lifts and coordinated moves that appealed to that.

Totally agree. But the article makes it seem like the Soviet ladies were always the dominating force in the discipline (hence the Cold War reference).

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Totally agree. But the article makes it seem like the Soviet ladies were always the dominating force in the discipline (hence the Cold War reference).

Perhaps the Cold War reference isn't about Soviet ladies always being a dominating force but the writer of the article being an idiot who lives in the past and can't think of any other term that would fit today

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMHO, the USFSA should be investing in the young and coming skaters than piling tons of money into headcases like Wagner and Gold. I think calling Wagner "the most talented skater" is also ridiculous, there is a lot of young talent that shows a lot more promise. Personally I would be putting more money into improving coaches and conditions for skaters like Polina Edmunds, Karen Chen, Bradie Tennell, maybe even some of the Novice/up coming Junior skaters who have a lot of promise.

I meant Gracie is our most talented skater not Ashley.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
They need to have Chen move up to seniors ASAP. I feel like she is their best bet for 2018.

Ehh I don't think it's smart to move from lady to lady so quickly and burden them with our hopes, that's not much better than what's happening now. Karen is not entirely consistent yet and puberty is still a question mark. To me it looks like she'll survive puberty but things are always so unpredictable, piling on expectations can be detrimental too, just look at Gracie or even Patrick.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
They need to have Chen move up to seniors ASAP. I feel like she is their best bet for 2018.

Well, she will be eligible to compete in senior Worlds next year, so I think if she does well in JGPF and Nationals, she is a good bet for 2016 Worlds. It's way too early to tell, but I see really good potential in her.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think the creator of Dance Moms needs to do a spin off Rink Parents.

Fund some young girls to schlep around the world competing and getting experience in exchange for their parents making fools of themselves for our amusement. Seems like a win all around.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, she will be eligible to compete in senior Worlds next year, so I think if she does well in JGPF and Nationals, she is a good bet for 2016 Worlds. It's way too early to tell, but I see really good potential in her.

Karen isn't going back to the JGP.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think the creator of Dance Moms needs to do a spin off Rink Parents.

Fund some young girls to schlep around the world competing and getting experience in exchange for their parents making fools of themselves for our amusement. Seems like a win all around.

Actually, I remember hearing there was such a show planned, but I guess it never got greenlighted.

http://deadline.com/2012/01/lifetime-expands-dance-moms-franchise-to-figure-skating-220910/

I would enjoy watching a non-sensationalized docu-show about the skating world, but I won't hold my breath.

beki

Medalist
The USA needs to begin investing in young talent and plan for the future. Wagner is a bit of wild-card, and sorry for fans of hers, but this season was probably her best shot at having her moment of glory

I'm her fan and I completely agree. It reminds me of Alissa Czisny in 2011.

I do think USFSA should focus on Wagner-type skaters who improve slowly and steadily as well as young talent though.

Give Mariah Bell a GP spot.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm her fan and I completely agree. It reminds me of Alissa Czisny in 2011.

I do think USFSA should focus on Wagner-type skaters who improve slowly and steadily as well as young talent though.

Give Mariah Bell a GP spot.

And that is why I like Ashley and do think she does deserve at least some of the support. She is willing to work, she is willing to make changes, she is willing to confront her falls. That is what I want to see supported.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Karen isn't going back to the JGP.

You mean she is going to be assigned senior GP next year?

Please no, not any more "Wagner-types"... has this "Wagner-type" gotten a single World medal? :disapp:

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

Please no, not any more "Wagner-types"... has this "Wagner-type" gotten a single World medal? :disapp:

Since 2006, how many "non-Wagner-type" US ladies have medaled at worlds? IMO, someone who, like Ashley, confronts faults and works on them, has more potential to get a world medal than someone who just claims "everything is fine" and doesn't change.