Music for exhibitions | Golden Skate

Music for exhibitions

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
instead of music for an individual skater... just put out some music exhibition worthy that you'd like to see used, period. That could work for more than one skater...

the one off the top of my head is "The Rainbow Connection" which was written for Kermit the Frog, by--I believe--Jim Henson. From what I understand there's a recording of it that ISN'T a Jim Henson Muppet... I can't remember which female vocalist... but I bet it's awesome! :)

Edited to add: I'm not saying find music that anyone and their dog could skate to... but music that's never been used and it's high time someone did!

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Rainbow Connection was actually written by the songwriting team of Ascher & Williams (which surprises me...I would've guessed it was written by Joe Raposo). Kenny Loggins and Judy Collins have also recorded it.

To try and pick out a generic song that would work for just about everybody is an exercise in futility. Could you possibly picture Elvis Stojko skating to the likes of Rainbow Connection? All I know is Nicole Bobek could probably do justice to David Rose's The Stripper, thus putting the X back in Exhibition. :D

Kasey

Medalist
I think it's high time that SOMEONE did some Motown for exhibition! :) Was just thinking about that the other day, listening to Marvin....

Kasey

What a great idea, Kasey. How about Otis Redding's "Love Man" for Tim Goebel, only change the words to "Quad Man!"

I'm your quad man!
That's what they call me, I'm your quad man!
K-k-k-k-k-k-k Quad man!
Ooo baby, I'm your quad man!

(Ooo baby, I'm your Math Man.)

Kasey

Medalist
Al Green's "Let's stay together" for the Bourne and Kraatz reunion tour?? ;)

I just don't think I've heard any motown, other than Nicole Bobek doing some Aretha. I've heard some blues, big band, techno, etc...even country.

Kasey

Gipson

Rinkside
I'd like to see someone skate to Pictures of You by The Cure, as long as someone isn't inspired by the song lyrics to use photos as a prop.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I think coldplay has some great tracks that would make a fun routine for a male skater.

I would like to see B&A do an exhibition routine to something classic like "the way you look tonight" or "at last"

A good pairs exhibition would be the theme from Unfaithful, really powerful and sensual music with nice changes in tempo and feeling..... actually thats not sounding very exhibitionesque now that I think of it. But I would love to see someone skate to it.

I want to see MK skate to "By your side" by Sade... one of my favorite songs of all time. Sasha would also interpret the music nicely... but it would be a very different routine stylistically.

I think the best exhibition routine I can remember is Jose Chouinard's (sp?) Sweater song.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
According to one of her fan club sites the music was by Meryn Cadell, her website is www.meryncadell.com

here are the lyrics because I think they are kinda funny in case any of you havent seen the program....

The Sweater

Girls, I know you will understand this, and feel the intrinsic, incredible emotion. You have just pulled over your head the worn, warm sweater belonging to A Boy. Now you haven't had a passionate kissing session or anything, but you got to go on a camping trip with him and eight other people from school, and you practically slept together, your sleeping bag right next to his, and you woke in the night to watch him as he slept, but you couldn't see anything 'cause it was dark, so you just lay there and listened to his breathing, and wondered if your heart might burst.

The sweater has that slightly goat-like smell which all teenage boys possess, and that smell will lovingly transfer to all your other clothes. If you get to keep it for a few days, you can sleep with it, but don't let your mom see because she'll say, 'What is that filthy thing, and who does it belong to besides the trashman?' .... So you have to keep it under the covers, with you. You can kind of lie it beside you, or wrap it around your waist, or touch it on your legs or whatever, but that's your business.

Now if the sweater has, like, reindeer on it, or is a funny colour like yellow ? I'm sorry you can't get away with a sweater like that. Look for brown or grey or blue. Anything other than that and you know you're dealing with someone who's different. And different is not what you're looking for.

You're looking for those teenage alpine ski chiselled features, and that sort of blank look which passes for deep thought or at least the notion that someone's home. You're looking for the boy of your dreams who is the same boy in the dreams of all of your friends.

Now the sweater isn't going fit you of course, so you have to kind roll up the sleeves in a jaunty way that says, 'This is the sweater belonging to a boy, and the boy is a genuine hunka hunka burning love', and this is not just some hand-me-down from your brother or your father.

Monday, wear the sweater to school. Be calm, look cute. Don't tell him the dream you had about the place the two of you would share when you get older, just be yourself. The best, cutest, quietest version of yourself.
Definitely wear lip gloss.

He looks at you, and he looks away, and then he walks away, and the smell of the sweater hits you again, suddenly like ape-scent gloriola. And you get a note passed to you by a girl in history that says he needs his sweater back, he forgot that you put it on in the tent on Saturday and he's been looking for it.

And you don't have to die of humiliation, you know. You are a strong person and this is a learning experience. You can still hold your head up high as you run from the classroom, tearing the stinking sweater from your body.

You look at that sweater, carefully, and realize that love made you temporarily blind. You've got a secret now, honey, and though you would never sink as low as him, you could blab it all over the school if you wanted:

The label in that sweater said 100% acrylic

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Josee always has great programs...

her mime routine was stellar as well... and Prima Donna is so cute(I saw it live ;)) but the Sweater takes the cake, no doubt! :)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
other versions of The Rainbow Connection

There are 2 non-Kermit versions I know of. The first is by Peter Cincotti, an up-and-coming singer/pianist who was a protege of Harry Connick Jr. I bought his CD on a whim and have become a fan. I've also had the opportunity to see him in concert - he was in San Francisco last November.

The second is by the Carpenters. They recorded it in the early 80s. According to Richard Carpenter, many fans knew they had recorded it and asked for it to be released. Richard finally did and it's on their recent release 'Carpenters Gold - 35th Anniversary'. I'd like to see someone skate to their version.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
ooooh, Longhornliz...

At Last by Etta James...WOW. Now THAT would be incredible, by a pair or dance team, or by one of the ladies (Michelle, Sasha, Kat Witt and Oksana come to mind).

THere's this GORGEOUS opera duet on the Washington Square soundtrack (music by the composer who did Unfaithful), forget the name, but it would be incredible for some dance team or pair to do, in an exhibition or even in competition, since vocals are allowed now. It's very soft, gentle, romantic, and many amazon.com reviewers who are classical/opera buffs have called it "the most beautiful song" they've ever heard. BTW, a good way to sample many delectable movie music cuts is to go to www.amazon.com and do a search for, say, Unfaithful, which will get you a list of tracks to listen to, plus (this is the good part) a link to other CDs like it that people who bought it also bought. I have discovered other CDs with great music using this option, some by the same composer (i.e. Washington Square) and others by composers I barely knew of or, in one case, one I once hated (Philip Glass--my first encounter with him was a 13 minute minimalist NIGHTMARE :eek: for a music appreciation class in college, but I found him on a soundtrack and was pleased to discover that he can actually compose something that doesn't make my ears want to bleed :laugh: )

I also like Shakira's "Ojos Asi", an Arabic-inspired song where she busts her famous belly dancing moves (I used to dance to it in my Arabic dance days), and I think Sasha could do an excellent, fast and fiery rendition of it...but I want to use it myself, so no one tell her, ok?:laugh::laugh:

Sarah

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Re: ooooh, Longhornliz...

sarahmistral said:

I also like Shakira's "Ojos Asi", an Arabic-inspired song where she busts her famous belly dancing moves (I used to dance to it in my Arabic dance days), and I think Sasha could do an excellent, fast and fiery rendition of it...but I want to use it myself, so no one tell her, ok?:laugh::laugh:

Sarah

Oh how I love Shakira's old stuff before she did her english language album. In south texas we have been rocking out to her since 1996 back when she did "estoy aqui" which is a really histerical techno-ish cover of "i'll stand by you". My dance team did a high kick to ojo's asi my junior year of high school... love it love it.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Random thoughts as 80's music is now en vogue ...

Tom Sawyer by Rush - maybe Klimkin (I think - didn't he skate in a funky brown leatherish mesh thing this year?) or the french guy who skated the little prince program a year ago?

Purple Rain by Prince - Michelle

Rio by Duran Duran - Sale & Pelltier

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
Random thoughts as 80's music is now en vogue ...

Tom Sawyer by Rush - maybe Klimkin (I think - didn't he skate in a funky brown leatherish mesh thing this year?) or the french guy who skated the little prince program a year ago?
Yes and Stannick Jeannette.