Troy | Golden Skate

Troy

Antilles

Medalist
This is an awesome movie!! I've never had three hours pass that fast. I was enthralled the whole time. (All the close-ups of Brad helped ;) ) If you're looking for a film to go see, make it Troy.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I just got home from seeing this film! I really enjoyed it, too--I just shut my eyes during the really gory parts. The acting--except for Brad Pitt--was FIRST RATE! :D :laugh: Honestly, you can't believe for one minute that Brad Pitt is the greatest warrior ever to grace the planet. He just doesn't exude that kind of strength or presence--but he is nice to look at, I'll grant that. Eric Bana as Hector--who looks like a VERY young but much better looking Ron Silver but only in this film, not in any other photos I've ever seen of him--was excellent, as was Peter O'Toole. Paris was portrayed as a weakling, and frankly Helen a selfish ho who knew that thousands would die as a result of her actions but didn't really care.

Overall, an entertaining flick worth seeing.

Last edited:

Kateri

On the Ice
I haven't seen this yet, but I'm sure I'll have a few opinions on it when I do, being a classicist, and the Iliad one of my favourite books...
So I hear they tried to make it the love story of Akhilleus and Briseis...hah! Akh doesn't give a toss about Bris.
The true love story of the Iliad is between Akhilleus and Patroklos!

But more importantly....how will Hektor be portrayed??:love: :love:

edit - I just read a review that said Menelaus gets killed!? so what the heck happens to Helen? And Ag gets killed by Akhilleus? what on earth are they doing to the story?
anyone??

kat.

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
They took more than a few liberties with the film. The stories you've read are correct. I still thought it was entertaining though.

Kateri

On the Ice
Oh, don't mind me, I was never going to be happy with it!
I shall just have to try and pretend it has nothing to do with Homer...:rolleye:

but really - what happens to Helen at the end then, if she doesn't go home with Menelaus?? (maybe spoiler space this?)

k.

Antilles

Medalist
SPOILER........

To answer your question, she escapes Troy with Paris. Adromache is with them, too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wow... after reading a few other reviews saying it wasn't as good as it could have been with the actors and director it had I was surprised to read such a good review! lol

Kateri

On the Ice
She what??!!:eek:

Well...that's certainly a happier ending than those three characters usually get!!

Does Andromache save her baby too, then?

k

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Johar said:
What's Orlando Bloom like in Troy? :love:

He's a MAJOR weenie. He steals his host's wife while he's on a peace mission, then challenges her husband to fight mano a mano, then when he's about to lose, runs and cowers, holding onto his brother's leg. When Menelaus tells him to fight like a man, he won't even look at him.

True, he does kill Achilles, but it was just a lucky shot in his heel, which just happened to be the only way he could be killed.

As for Helen, they deserved each other. As I already mentioned, she's portrayed as a beautiful ho. Even when she tries to sneak off and return to Greece, she ran right past Hector--supposedly that was a coincidence--but then she looks at him in such a way that you just KNOW that she's thinking that she'd like to dump the wussie Paris for the HE-MAN Hector.

Yes, the baby escapes, too, as does Briseus.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok Orlando's character is a weenie... but as an actor how did he fair?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Hard to say because the character was so totally one-dimensional. Plus, he didn't really have a whole lot of screen time. I guess you could say that as far as weenie wusses go, he did a credible job in the role. :D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dude... the way the previews went you'd think he and Brad were the only ones in the movie... *sigh*

my hopes were dashed

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Eric Bana is going to be the next HOT star from Australia a la Russell Crowe. Your disappointment in Orlando Bloom will be forgotten while watching Bana's mesmerizing performance!

Kateri

On the Ice
It all sounds very silly...;)
But if Hektor is done well, I shall be reasonably happy...

Does this mean we get no traditional reunion scene between Helen and Menelaus:
Men: Argh! bitch! I kill you now!
Hel (lifting up her top): remember these, baby??
Men: Darling!!

Always good for a laugh, greek myth.

k.

*mutter mutter*... throw the damn baby off the tower already... *mutter*...:sheesh:

Johar

Medalist
I still might go just to see Orlando. Kate Bosworth(his real-life girl) is a lucky gal.