Michael Weiss - Online Interview | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss - Online Interview

soogar

Record Breaker
Impressions:
What a candid interview and I liked his response to the question concerning his horrible LP music. It was bad music but I can respect where he's coming from.

Mikey looked really hot in the tank top and jeans. I'm even getting into the blond hair.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think he took on some really tough questions that I might have sidestepped, or at least gotten defensive about.

What's more "tacky & tasteless" than calling someone "tacky & tasteless" in an interview? :rolleye: And since when is consistantly finishing in the top 6 at nats and worlds over a 8 year period a "rollercoaster" career? :eek: You'd think he was Chen Lu or something. Sometimes I thing Kwan has just ruined the sport. :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
What a great interview! And Mike looks really handsome in the photos..., WOW.

I started to like Mike´s skating in Nagano Olympics and have felt respect towards him in person in general. That respect even grows because of this interview. He gives great, mature answers and handles also the tough questions perfectly and showing great tact. The words which come into my mind describing the impression I get of his person: sincere and open. WOW, what a guy!

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
great interview (and pics). It's wonderful to see someone who still competes at an elite level able to balance a family life as well.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Paula, for your hard work putting that great interview together..........(nice pic too:love: ) 42

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's more "tacky & tasteless" than calling someone "tacky & tasteless" in an interview?

While I delete most questions that have no tact, I leave it up to the interviewee to answer (or not answer) the "gray" ones. I don't edit the questions.

Mike just has class and isn't afraid of a few negative adjectives. It's as simple as that. ;)

Kasey

Medalist
THANK YOU for a great interview with a great guy! I continue to have nothing but respect for Mike, and wish him well in the next season.

Kasey

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it proves that Michael isn't as cocky and arrogant as the press makes him out to be. He's blunt... but really I've never actually heard the arrogance come from him... a lot of people read into what he says in press releases... and what his webmaster types on his site... just my two cents

I hope he skates awesomly at Nationals this year... cuz I'm going! :laugh:

Kasey

Medalist
Tonichelle, exactly! Blunt does not equal jackass! And congrats on making your decision to go to Nats....actually, Portland in not all THAT far from Reno....maybe would be a good chance for me as well...I'll have to think on that one!

Kasey

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
one more seat taken for Michael's cheering section is never a bad thing... :) really consider it! :)

registered

On the Ice
Why would anyone consider Mike's LP "tacky and tasteless"? I loved his free program this season, great music and interesting choreography.

It was a good interview, MW is a good role model.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
because Americans are not allowed to be patriotic in sport... duh! :rolleye:

Scott Hamilton got a similar reaction -- mostly by judges -- back in the 80s when he did a patriotic themed routine as well... he shrugged it off and kept skating that program.

dr.frog

On the Ice
registered said:
Why would anyone consider Mike's LP "tacky and tasteless"?

Well..... some people did think that wearing a blue uniform and skating to "John Brown's Body" in Atlanta, heart of the Confederacy, showed a remarkable disregard for historical context. And while the program might have had some personal significance for Mike, for some European spectators in Dortmund it may have come across only as a crass display of ugly-Americanism. I personally wouldn't go so far as to call it "tacky and tasteless", but it does seem like he could have come up with a program that was less politically "loaded" and that wouldn't rub many viewers the wrong way for reasons that had nothing to do with his actual skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no one sees it as "tacky and tasteless" when a Russian skater skates to Russian music... or when a Canadian Skater wants to skate to Canadian music. But gosh darn it those ugly pollitically incorrect Americans should think twice before using their country's music to skate to. :rolleye: the double standards are so huge :rolleye:

Kateri

On the Ice
I'm not sure if it was the Americanism so much as the militarism that was controversial...most Europeans wouldn't have known if he was doing the civil war or whatever, just that he was doing "a (historical) soldier of some kind" so the context would be lost.

Personally, I wasn't offended by it, though I thought it was rather a bad publicity move on his part.

But maybe he doesn't mind so much what non-Americans think.

Eh....having said that, I'm all for skaters doing programmes that move them personally, even if they know the spectators might not feel the same - it shows individuality and confidence.

So...I wasn't a fan of this programme, but if he likes it, that's fine.

k.

dr.frog

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
no one sees it as "tacky and tasteless" when a Russian skater skates to Russian music... or when a Canadian Skater wants to skate to Canadian music. But gosh darn it those ugly pollitically incorrect Americans should think twice before using their country's music to skate to. :rolleye: the double standards are so huge :rolleye:

The problem wasn't that Weiss chose to skate to American music, but that he chose to skate to music that was loaded with connotations of American militarism and imperialism. There is plenty of other American music that doesn't have this extra baggage, just as there is lots of Russian music that is just music. There is even lots of American music that is patriotic and celebrates love of one's homeland without celebrating warfare and conquest at the same time.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
dr.frog said:
The problem wasn't that Weiss chose to skate to American music, but that he chose to skate to music that was loaded with connotations of American militarism and imperialism.
Not to mention music with a particularly Christian bent, with the Lord being on the side of the soldier. That's a little politically sensitive (or insensitive).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Amazing Grace??? that's the offensive part???

I'm not even going to get into that debate... I think people can find anything offensive just to give a person grief... I applaud Mike for being "outspoken" in his skating and staying true to what he feels.