Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did Olympic gold change their lives?

Custom Title
    Short answer is yes for all skaters.

Change to what degree is the difference. Scott Hamilton said,"From now on everytime when Tara steps on the ice, she will be introduced as the Olympic gold medalist"

I don't think the impact is as huge for skaters living the the west.

I bet if S&Z win 06 olympics, their parents will have bigger apartments/ houses. They will have better cars. I bet (if rumors are correct that S&Z are in love) then after winning the 06 Olympics gold medal they will finally be allowed to retire from skating, and started dating.

Custom Title
    B&S have said several times, when they went home they were seen as heros for a very very short moment of time... It didn't last long.. But, when I watch footage of them being welcomed in their home country when they do exhibition shows, it's overwhelming excitement from the fans.. So I think the media ignored them, but their true fans in Russia didn't.

Did it really help B&S? I don't know.. I am not sure if they are all the popular.. Anton said his face was on tv more than the president.. He was tossed in the middle of another uncalled for scandal after SLC.. So from what I'm gathering, it's most likely true his face was in the media more Russian after SLC. He said it brought attention, but never said it benefited him. Yeah, he and Lena had a contract once with COI way before their '98 Oly yr..

I think I remember hearing Zao saying something about they really cared for each other but they wouldn't date or anything as long as they were amateurs. or something like that. Right now they are putting all their energy into their skating.

Rogue Leader
    According to the book "The Second Mark", Chinese athletes aren't allowed to date. So S&Z can't really do much about it.

I think that winning a gold medal is all about persepective. If you truly believe it won't change your life, then it won't. One can avoid the changes that come with it, if so desired.

I also think that the great feeling must be followed by a big let-down. I remember reading an article about OGM winners, especially ones in sports that you really only hear about during the Olympics (ie decathalon, canoeing). There is all this build up and media attention, and then after a while people will stop talking about it and congratulating you. I'll bet these athletes would love to recapture their euphoria, kind of like a drug. For some it's probably amazing, but Í'll bet for others it's a burden. Can you imagine being in your early 20s, and knowing your absolute best moment is behind you? I'd find that sad.

Custom Title
    Ok, if you want to say if SLC benefited B&S financially.. I think, yes... Before the Second Mark, I had been knowing B&S bought new cars, bought homes and so on.. :D But regardless of SLC, I think they would have been successful and made it with COI, SOI or some other tour in the world.. They were pretty busy after SLC in European tours.

I'm not saying I know or my sayings should be taken as fact. But I've been told by friends and others that it seems B&S are good friends with Tom Collins and his son, and it seems there is great respect between Moskvina and Tom C.

I don't think B&S have stepped on any toes, and would always have job if they want it.. Just my guess.

On the Ice
    I would say yes for all skaters.

I don't think some of the skaters we see on red carpets and at movie premieres would be invited to attend if they weren't OGM. JMO. So yes, that OGM does seem to open doors that wouldn't be there for the "average" skater.

Custom Title
    I think it does change their lives forever. European skaters get US recognition and the chance to tour for good money - better than they'd get in Europe! US skaters, well hamill, Fleming and Yama have done incredibly well out of it and become National institutions just as T&D are here in the UK.. But since '98 because of MK's popularity the line surrounding the OGM has become blurred in ladies. Maybe people realised that it wasn't winning it all that really mattered. It takes a hell of a person to have 2 crushing defeats infront of billions of viewers, yet still remain the Kween of the ice. She outearns everyone else in the sport without the OGM and she will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Also Kurt Browning. Has it really hurt his pro career? He earns more than Petrenko and Urmanov for sure!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Although she is heralded as the undisputed queen of figures, sometimes I think that Trixi Schuba would be all but forgotten if she hadn't competed against Janet Lynn.
    Don't forget Trixi Schuba also competed against Karen Magnussen - the 1973 World Champion.

Trixi Schuba will always be remembered for her outstanding abilities to lay down perfect figures (no small feat) - not who she competed against! She was world champion two times and Olympic champion because of her great ability.

Custom Title
    Unfortunately I never saw Schuba´s figures for which she is famous. Her freeskating though was not enjoyable to watch (IMO), and that is what was shown on our TV. So, to me - as well as to all others who never saw her figures -, she will be remembered as somebody who got the gold medal, while I definetely prefered and loved the freeskate performances of many other skaters (Magnussen, Lynn, etc.) instead of those slow and hesitant performances by her. That was the way in that time though, and fortunately the matters changed for the better, in my opinion. And as far as I remember, that is something one can thank e.g. Schuba for.
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-22-2004 at 02:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2