Did Olympic gold change their lives? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did Olympic gold change their lives?

marymotormouth

Rinkside
I would say yes for all skaters.

I don't think some of the skaters we see on red carpets and at movie premieres would be invited to attend if they weren't OGM. JMO. So yes, that OGM does seem to open doors that wouldn't be there for the "average" skater.

floskate

On the Ice
I think it does change their lives forever. European skaters get US recognition and the chance to tour for good money - better than they'd get in Europe! US skaters, well hamill, Fleming and Yama have done incredibly well out of it and become National institutions just as T&D are here in the UK.. But since '98 because of MK's popularity the line surrounding the OGM has become blurred in ladies. Maybe people realised that it wasn't winning it all that really mattered. It takes a hell of a person to have 2 crushing defeats infront of billions of viewers, yet still remain the Kween of the ice. She outearns everyone else in the sport without the OGM and she will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Also Kurt Browning. Has it really hurt his pro career? He earns more than Petrenko and Urmanov for sure!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Although she is heralded as the undisputed queen of figures, sometimes I think that Trixi Schuba would be all but forgotten if she hadn't competed against Janet Lynn.

Don't forget Trixi Schuba also competed against Karen Magnussen - the 1973 World Champion.

Trixi Schuba will always be remembered for her outstanding abilities to lay down perfect figures (no small feat) - not who she competed against! She was world champion two times and Olympic champion because of her great ability.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Unfortunately I never saw Schuba´s figures for which she is famous. Her freeskating though was not enjoyable to watch (IMO), and that is what was shown on our TV. So, to me - as well as to all others who never saw her figures -, she will be remembered as somebody who got the gold medal, while I definetely prefered and loved the freeskate performances of many other skaters (Magnussen, Lynn, etc.) instead of those slow and hesitant performances by her. That was the way in that time though, and fortunately the matters changed for the better, in my opinion. And as far as I remember, that is something one can thank e.g. Schuba for.

Last edited: