Davis and White not competing next year | Golden Skate

Davis and White not competing next year

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I don't see them returning either. It's easier for them to get endorsements if they play the "we're not exactly retired" card.

Flaya

Match Penalty
It is not a surprise.

I am not a huge fan of these "come backs" for the Olympics only, but it's their right. I do not think they'd win though.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Well, it was to be expected, unfortunately. They're in retirement age and have already won everything, Nats, Worlds, Olympics. I doubt they'll make it to 2018.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I half-expected to hear that. The selfish part of me wants them to come back for a goodbye season though, no matter which one. :(

Florencito

Medalist
NID. And actually, can't even say I'm missing them. V/M, on the other hand, if they come back and change coaches... but still not gonna happen next season.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised by this announcement. I do hope they get many opportunities to skate in shows.

noskates

Record Breaker
Charlie is getting married. Both have commitments as well as school. I never thought they would compete this coming year but they were interviewed very recently and stated they hadn't made up their minds about the following year. I found Ice Dancing boring without them this year.

samson

Medalist
Anyone who has the requirements for the SD next season is not shocked.

As a still learning viewer of Ice Dance, I'm curious do the new SD requirements play opposite to their strengths?

While coming back to competition would be a bear for sure, based on what we saw this season, I'm not convinced any team could come close to them or Voir if they decided to come back.

On the other hand, this isn't all that surprising. Even if they never come back for 2018, leaving the door open probably makes them just that bit more commercially interesting, and they both have so much going. Between weddings, and shows, and new deals with companies like Vera Bradley I gotta imagine they have a lot that would make finding the room for competition training difficult.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
A bit off-topic, but Charlie said wedding will be on April? It should be soon right? :D I hope we will see some photos on Instagram :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Or maybe they really don't know for sure. No point of retiring if there's even a smidgen's chance of a desire to return to competition.

That said, I do think it will be hard for them to come back. It sounds like they've really enjoyed the post-skating lifestyle.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Article says wedding is April 25, Meryl is a bridesmaid, and in the interview she confirmed that she indeed is seeing someone (not Maks) but wouldn't name him. It was confirmation of what we discussed in earlier threads about DWTS. I am not surprised that they aren't competing. Would be surprised if either them or Tessa/Scott came back. Too much time away, getting up in age, have life commitments outside of skating, and have already won everything. :)

slider11

Medalist
I am not surprised that Meryl and Charlie are not competing next year. Their plates are very full with many diverse projects. But not so sure about Tessa and Scott. They may be tempted to take on the French. If so, I would most definitely think it would be sans Marina. But who would be best as their coaches/mentors?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am not surprised that Meryl and Charlie are not competing next year. Their plates are very full with many diverse projects. But not so sure about Tessa and Scott. They may be tempted to take on the French. If so, I would most definitely think it would be sans Marina. But who would be best as their coaches/mentors?

There's been a lot of speculation that they could end up with the same coaches of Papadakis/Cizeron. If that chatter became reality, it would be quite interesting to see how that would affect P/C's status.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's been a lot of speculation that they could end up with the same coaches of Papadakis/Cizeron. If that chatter became reality, it would be quite interesting to see how that would affect P/C's status.

For those who don't know:
When Tessa and Scott were just young kids who were rising stars, Marie-France and Patrice were their mentors/teammates/competitors on Team Canada. They all have been friends for many, many years.
So if Virtue/Moir return to competition and if they turn to Dubreuil/Lauzon for coaching, it would not be a case of V/M deciding to parachute in and work with whoever the heck are coaching the new world champs.
(I know you know all this context, Mrs. P. Giving it here for those who don't. ;))