how much smaller are then shoes are skates supposed to be? | Golden Skate

how much smaller are then shoes are skates supposed to be?

froggy04

Spectator
Does anyone know how much smaller skates are supposed to be? I have a pair of riedells that are a size 7 and I wear a 9 in regular shoes. Do riedells run narrow because I feel like my toes and ankle don't have enough space. Since I'm having trouble breaking them in. Any suggestions I was considering buying a new pair or get mine strecthed.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Definately get them stretched. It's normal to have to get them "punched out".

My Reidell's are 2.5 sizes smaller than my street shoe size. In street shoes I take about a 6 1/2 US. In Reidell skates, I take a 4. The amount smaller varies by manufacturer.

Reidell's don't run narrow. They are sort of "average" width. There are other brands that run more narrow, and others that run wider.

Skates also come in widths. Mine are a size 4 Wide. Even so, I had to have them punched out four times in order to get them to fit right. I had to have them punched out in the ankle, the toes and the front of my foot. The ankle once, the toes several times before they fit.

Skates fit a lot more snugly than shoes do. They are more like very stiff, leather socks. It can take some time to break them in, and you may have to get them punched out more than once.

So don't panic yet. Take them to your skate shop, explain exactly where they hurt, and make them fix them for you. Don't be afraid to go back several times until they fit, too. This is normal.

takura

On the Ice
I also have problems with my skates, I ware size 7 or 71/2 but i got a size 8 so it would fit me better.The only problem my feet woble when I skate so I had to rent some, please help or I'll brake my ankle when I get on the ice.

KatyaFan

Rinkside
i can relate to having problems with new boots. keep in mind that each persons foot is unique and a boot is going to fit each person differently. your boot should be snug, and fit almost like a second skin from toe to heel. a new boot other than those that are molded to your foot, are going to be needed to be broken in. if you are buying a stock model, meaning that you buy the boot and blade as a package, not having the boot moulded and boughten separate from the blade you have chosen, is probably going to have to be stretched in order to comfortable fit you. i bought a good pair of riedell stock skates. before i had them stretched, i skated about three times, this gives you a good indication as to where your pressure/trouble points are. it also helps the person at the skate shop know where to stretch the boot. both of my feet were different and the boots where stretched differently.

keep in mind also the type of skating you are planning to do with your new skates. are you planning on taking lessons which involve jumping, spinning, etc. if you are try to choose a boot that is meant for junior/intermmediate skating, the boot will be stiffer and will with stand the pressure of movement your foot will be making.
also if you are taking lessons, you need a pair of skates that fit properly otherwise your going to have a hard time learning the elements. you will have a hard time with a pair thats too big or too small because your foots not going to be able to do what you ask it.

also the brand and style of the boot is important too. jackson is a good brand if you have a wider foot, i like riedell and also the graf edmonton special.

just remember each persons preferences are different, especially in the way the boot is laced, how tight, etc.
i prefer mine to be straight laced with one bckwd loop lace second from the top and the top of my boot must be a lil loose, gives to movement. i wear mine similar to katia gordeeva. the top of her boot is quite loose.

i hope this bit of info has helped. let me know if you would like any more info, i am more than happ to help!!!!! :D

RoaringMice

On the Ice
takura said:
I also have problems with my skates, I ware size 7 or 71/2 but i got a size 8 so it would fit me better.The only problem my feet woble when I skate so I had to rent some, please help or I'll brake my ankle when I get on the ice.

Your skates may be too big. Why did you get a size 8? Was it you picking the size, or was it the skate pro who told you to get that size?

Sk8Bunny

Rinkside
froggy04 said:
Does anyone know how much smaller skates are supposed to be? I have a pair of riedells that are a size 7 and I wear a 9 in regular shoes. Do riedells run narrow because I feel like my toes and ankle don't have enough space. Since I'm having trouble breaking them in. Any suggestions I was considering buying a new pair or get mine strecthed.

I wouldnt worry too much. I wear Reidells and when I first got mine, they seemed really really small. But after I got them broken in, which didnt take nearly as long as other brands have(Sp-teris are the worst for short break-ins, imo), they were fine. I had to get them punched out a bit, but they fit my feet like slippers when I skate. Wait till after you break them in, and then see how they fit. Good luck.

takura

On the Ice
RoaringMice said:
Your skates may be too big. Why did you get a size 8? Was it you picking the size, or was it the skate pro who told you to get that size?

I wasn't sure what size to pick so I got one in a bigger size.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
takura-usually skate boots should be a size smaller then your street shoes. Everyone is different, but if you have a too big size boot you won't get the support you need and you can hurt yourself. The best way to have skates fitted is by someone that knows figure skates.