Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switching Favorite Disciplines

Switching Favorite Disciplines

Have you switched from one favorite discipline (say Ladies) to another (say Mens)? Maybe the Dancers' edging have now become more interesting than the 'out of sight' lifts in Pairs"?

Whatever, if so, what made you switch?

Joe

Can't say I really switched. I always loved all of them but the lowest was dancing. Now, I love it just as much thanks to Torvil & Dean and Anissina & Peizerat. Much earlier, I liked women's best but any more I like them all equally.
    Don't you hate it when you meet people and they discover your love of figure skating and they ask "who's your favorite skater?". How could you have just one?

I've been a skating fan for over 35 years & Mens has always been my favorite. Then the Ladies. I switch back & forth with pairs & dance. I was a big dance fan in the 80's, lost interest in the 90's but have veered back now in the 00's. I freely admit to a bias towards the US skaters which partially explains why I lose interest in one or the other discipline. When the US is not that competitive I don't find the discipline that exciting. (I do love the Chinese pairs tho. They're amazing & wonderful to watch.)

I went from liking pro skating to liking both about equal... does that count?

I've gone from liking mens and ladies the most to liking men and pairs... does that count? LOL

Custom Title
    Originally I was really interested in ladies and pairs only. In early seventies John Curry changed that so that men´s became my favourite discipline.

I always think whichever discipline I am watching at that moment is my favourite!

If i'm not watching anything, then I can't decide...

k.

Not the droid you're looking for
    My favorite discipline depends entirely on which skaters have the most interesting and well-executed programs during any given season...but it's usually the men.
    Rave

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    My favorite discipline used to be Ladies, but now, Ice Dance. It is my favorite by far and ladies is now unwatchable most of the times. Its just incredibly boring in comparison.

Goooo Ice Dance!
    TV

I started out just liking the ladies. But now I think there are just as many men that I like (go Jeff Buttle!) Also, dance has crept up on me. I like dance exhibitions a lot, but maybe not so much the competitive aspects of the sport (go Fusar-poli and Margaglio!).

MM

Since the media coverage in the US, is geared to the Ladies, I am always interested in the american gal that is being touted: Lynne, Zayak, Fratiannie, Sumners, Debie, Yamaguchil, Kerrigan, Kwan, Cohen. the americans have a big list of medalists.

Hwever, after seeing the DC and Dortmund Worlds, I was super excited at watching the men take the ice the ice for their warmup. It was already expected that Plush would win but Tim gave him a good run for the top, as did Brian. I'm really looking forward to the Men's event in moscow.

Pairs and Dance are nice to watch but they are not exciting. The top teams are a shoo in and the others are not really giving them a run for their money.

Apparently, the exicitng event is the one i dig the most in that year.

Joe

Rogue Leader
    For years pairs was my favourite, but when A&P came along, I switched to dance. I found dance became much more exciting, and pairs was rather dull. There are so many moves to do in pairs, that no one actually excels at every move.

For exhibitions though, I still like pairs the best. They get to do more creatvie moves, whereas the dancers often water down their content. I've always liked the two-person disciplines better. There are more creative moves to be done, and you can see a relationship on the ice.

Custom Title
    Pairs has always been my favorite discipline. Right now none of the top pairs really interest me, so i am paying more attention to men and ladies (both equally). I think both of these have some very interesting skaters. I used to like ice dance but I have not been really interested in it since 1999. It was always my least favorite discipline, and that ranking has not changed.

Vash

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I havent really switched my favorite discipline, ladies is still my fav by far...

but I have broadened my horizons to enjoy ice dance (so fluid!!! its a joy)

I'm trying to warm up to men's although I find it a little odd for some reason, not sure why because I think they are fabulous athletes. I want to have Brian Joubert's love child.

I loved pairs when I was in elementary and middle school because the lifts were impressive and "The cutting edge" had just come out. Now I'm less interested, but I love the chinese teams. I wish the US would work on their pairs program so that we had some medal contenders again.

Synchro is definately at the bottom if it is even on my list.... dont get it, but good for them because it looks so hard!!!!

Although some of my favorite skaters and teams of all time have been of other nationalities... I cant help but really interested in whatever discipline the US is excelling in for a particular competition.
    Last edited by Longhornliz; 05-17-2004 at 10:53 PM.

Custom Title
    Pairs skating is what got me hooked on to skating-so I always enjoy it. However, the top teams don't really "capture" me like pairs before did. I am excited about some of the lower teams, B/C-Russia, O/S, W/F-Canada. And I'm excited about the US teams of D/H and O/L. I'm not sure how successful any of these teams will be-and they are not at the level of the top teams-but I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

I used to hate ice dance( ) but now I really look forward to seeing the teams, I like all of the top teams-although D/S-Bulgaria are my favorites. That being said, I don't think the "quality" of the top teams is equal to what it was in the G/P, A/P, K/O years.

Ladies-always bored me(I will watch Nancy Kerrigan's 94 LP as repentence ) However-I like Shizuka, Carolina, Galina and Sasha("Robin Lake" not withstanding)

Men-Whee! Evgeni, Ilia, Jordan, Johnny, Evan.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    When I wasn't an avid skating fan, I was only interested in ladies. However, after watching the SLC Olympics, I was amazed by all the disciplines and was impressed with the ladies least .
    Thanks to Rinkside and Soulseek, I got to play catch-up with all four disciplines, and there isn't a discipline I don't like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast