Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford respond to critics on the ice | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford respond to critics on the ice

Krunchii

Record Breaker
According to the latest Stolbova interview, next year:
1. They will do 3-3-2 combo
2. Try 4S throw or 3A throw
3. No 4 twist
4. Morozov is doing choreo

Ambitious, I hope that since they choose to not to Worlds we'll actually see some development from them technically. At least I hope their 2A is replaced with the 3S or something. Their twist isn't good enough for a quad and as for Morozov choreographing, he's either really good or really bad.

Next year will be interesting

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
agreed
Ambitious, I hope that since they choose to not to Worlds we'll actually see some development from them technically. At least I hope their 2A is replaced with the 3S or something. Their twist isn't good enough for a quad and as for Morozov choreographing, he's either really good or really bad.

Next year will be interesting

peg

Medalist
I feel like no matter what you think of their style (I usually end up tuning out) you have to appreciate what D/R are doing. They are real innovators, they are pushing the envelope, and pushing the deepest field of pairs in years (Trankov's comment about how the field was weak except for P/T is, IMO, more telling and ridiculous and unprofessional than anything he said about D/R specifically) to up the ante technically. I think that there are several pairs out there right now who are capable of executing quad elements and advanced sbs jump and who knows what else content at a higher level than D/R and with better programs, and I am SO excited to see that, and it wouldn't be possible without D/R pushing everybody. M/H are already on their way with the sbs lutzes, and hopefully they'll have better programs next season too. Same for T/M, the Chinese teams, etc.
I don't tend to enjoy watching innovation. Give me something that is well executed and moving. I would watch Casablanca 3 times in a row before I was tempted to watch an "innovative" movie like the original King Kong. But I also recognize that without that movie, so, so many of the movies I love today would never have existed.
I also get frustrated when people imply that there is only one way to do things in skating and that anyone who does it another way and succeeds had ruined everything. Can anyone imagine a pairs competition filled with perfectly matched V/Ts or, say, an ice dance one filled with Virtue/Moirs? It would be very pretty, but GOOD GOD would it be boring. Think about the pairs competition in 2002, the top of the men's field right now, the Ice Dance field in the late 80s/early 90s. Skating thrives when you have a wide variety of talented people with different styles pushing each other to do better all the time. And I sincerely hope that's what will happen in the pairs competition this quad.

Very well said. And welcome to the madhouse :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
According to the latest Stolbova interview, next year:
1. They will do 3-3-2 combo
2. Try 4S throw or 3A throw
3. No 4 twist
4. Morozov is doing choreo

Saying and doing is two different things. So many skaters say they are working on something but getting it done when it counts is another. And Morozov is unlikely to help them artistically. I just don't understand why good skaters go to Morozov for choreo - I must be missing something.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
agreed... and even with that combo and perhaps a bigger throw... they are still behind D/R in BV... their second jumping pass has been 2A up to now... quite far from 3LZ
Saying and doing is two different things. So many skaters say they are working on something but getting it done when it counts is another. And Morozov is unlikely to help them artistically. I just don't understand why good skaters go to Morozov for choreo - I must be missing something.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight

Morozov choreographs programs that are easy to skate but still score well in terms of PCS.

whatif

Medalist

I am just a messenger.
Actually, there are videos of them doing 3-3-2 in practices. And it's no secret that they have been working on their throws all season. She particularly has a good jump technique, specifically their axels have room for upgrades. Morozov produces winning results, so no surprise there.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
FWIW, Morozov did Pang and Tong's programs, which were both quite lovely.

Their programs were lovely but Morozov can be terrible or good, we never know :shrug:

I'm sure we'll see upgrades from them next season, we'll just have to see what they will be when the season starts, a 3-3-2 would really shake things up

uhh

Medalist
It's obvious S/K need to upgrade the jumps, but I will be sad to see the 2a go because Ksenia's was absolutely textbook every time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them with a throw 3A as her technique is so good on the solo jump. Again, I guess that an upgraded throw would replace their throw 3sal, and that's a shame too, because it was usually so good with her running edge out of it and a great climax to their programs (if Fedor didn't trip just before :laugh2:) I'd rather see great quality elements like that over D/R's or K/S's more difficult quad throws that they have to slow down so much for & can only get scrappy landings on.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hehe :) if you want to see good 3S throws and 2A, you can still watch skaters from 20 years ago :) we want to see something new.... good 4s throws for instance... so we will wait a few seasons and then hopefully, they will flow better... let's not stop the progress! :)

It's obvious S/K need to upgrade the jumps, but I will be sad to see the 2a go because Ksenia's was absolutely textbook every time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them with a throw 3A as her technique is so good on the solo jump. Again, I guess that an upgraded throw would replace their throw 3sal, and that's a shame too, because it was usually so good with her running edge out of it and a great climax to their programs (if Fedor didn't trip just before :laugh2:) I'd rather see great quality elements like that over D/R's or K/S's more difficult quad throws that they have to slow down so much for & can only get scrappy landings on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

To be fair they've only been doing quads this season, you can't improve if you don't keep trying, D/R have improved their twist and their sbs 3Lz got better unison over the years because they kept trying.

and I'm sure you don't need to worry about Ksenia, her 3T-3T in practice looked really good, I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much as you've enjoyed her 2A. The judges score S/K not THAT far behind D/R even with lesser technical content, they can afford some upgrades and they've got the technique for it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am just a messenger.
Actually, there are videos of them doing 3-3-2 in practices. And it's no secret that they have been working on their throws all season. She particularly has a good jump technique, specifically their axels have room for upgrades. Morozov produces winning results, so no surprise there.

Can you post these please? I've seen Ksenia do a solid 3-3, but haven't seen Fedor do one.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The scores at worlds this years says otherwise.

Agreed. I mean, Max, did you not see the SP? 8 (essentially 9) of the top 10 teams went clean.

In the FS, all top 5 teams cleared 130 (without 2nd half bonus, mind you), the same number as in Sochi. With second half bonus in the FS, and pairs being allowed to do any lift in the SP (instead of a group 3), scores overall would have been at least 4-5 points higher and K/S would have cleared 130 too.

D/R, even without 2nd half bonus and being allowed a harder lift in the SP, would have come 2nd at the Sochi Olympics. And with FS bonus/SP harder lift, S/H would have won bronze. Many clean freeskates from S/H, T/M, J/C, A/R, S/B -- in Sochi, only S/K and Z/B went clean in the FS.

Only 2 teams attempted quads in Sochi, whereas 5 teams attempted quads here.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Thanks for the option. :) Here are Mishtukenok and Dmetriev from 1994. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNDqZuQVcQg

or :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTQBMkiOjw

and of course, the D/R of their era... never really getting the love they deserved despite pushing the sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcEOSeU08c

Thanks Mathman and 4everchan--I hadn't watched those programs in a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed them! It was like a Throwback Thursday and "Favorite Warhorse" series all rolled into one! ; )

Forgot just how fast Mishkutenok/Dmietriev skated. Love their choreography, too--of course it's Moskvina!

Also forgot how impressive Brasseur/Eisler's lifts were.

And, of course, Gordeeva/Grinkov = elegance.

While I'm excited in many ways to see today's increased technical content--and I appreciate Duhamel/Radford's accomplishments in that area--I don't find these performances lacking one bit. Really great to watch again!