Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This Week on American Idol

This Week on American Idol

TONIGHT!
    Don't miss the one-hour special, "American Idol: The Final Three '04" Monday at 8/7c! Ryan will sit down with each judge to get his/her take on this season, and Diana, Fantasia and Jasmine will give one performance each!

[I guess we won't get to see them in their hometowns like last year... that would have been fun!]

TUESDAY!
    The disco era didn't last forever and neither did La Toya London's run on American Idol. With three powerhouse ladies left standing, who will be the next American Idol? Well, we'll find out in another couple of weeks. Until then, tune in Tuesday at 8/7c on FOX for the most important performances yet. Fantasia, Jasmine and Diana can't afford to miss a single note right now. Will the pressure be too much for one of the girls to handle?

[If they follow last year's plot... the singers get to sing 3 songs this week... a judge picks one, they pull one out of a hat, and they pick their favorite song]

WEDNESDAY!
    Then come back Wednesday at 9/8c on FOX for the live, one-hour results show when we find out who the two finalists are!

[I think Diana's got a lock on one of the top 2 spots... Fantasia will get the other one... Jazz will go home... but anything's possible]

Did anybody see the feature on the Today show about how a consortium of professional Internet gamblers was able to block more than a million votes last week to skew the results?

Mathman

Thumbs down

As much as I hate to admit it, we're done with that show in our house. None of us has any interest anymore. The show has totally lost its credibility.

how did the show lose it's creditiability?

*sigh* first it was Clay lost and so thousands of angry Clay fans vowed never to watch

now Latoya's fans do the same... poor AI...

Mathman, I didn't see it today... I love that show but I have been feeling kinda icky today... so I haven't even ventured near the TV today... how'd it happen?

I didn't actually see the feature. I only heard the headline at the beginning of the show. I was hoping someone else could tell me more about it.

I think the "credibility" problem comes in with the voting process. People have speed dials and computer software that they can set to automatically cast thousands and thousands of votes, which shuts out the ordinary viewers who keep getting a busy signal and are able to vote only once or twice in an hour. This means that the person who wins is not necessarily who America really wants to vote for.

I would think it would be easy for CBS to address this question, like each phone can vote only once. If they had voting on the Internet you could do it by IP number. Except for AOL and other ISP that use proxies -- I don't know how that would work -- plus, then you would have to have a computer to vote.

Mathman

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    I'd still watch... except that I'm not gonna vote. Not even for Jazzy or DD. I don't know... I don't wanna Paula or Randy to start s--- again with the voting.

I will watch tonight's special. This'll be cool.

I don't think Paula and Randy were off on their opinions at all... a lot of people voted just to get fantasia off... and since LaToya's number was busy they all voted for Jazz and Diana...

then there were the sympathy votes for Jazz because *sarcastic tone here* big bad mean ol Simon made her cry.

Latoya should be in the top three... vocally she's brilliant...

Thumbs up

Toni, the show is now under FCC investigation. It isn't just the La Toya factor, it's the Jennifer factor as well as the ridiculous Jasmine factor. Frankly, I don't want to watch a show that features two singers I can't stand (Jasmine and Diana). If I want to hear Fantasia, I can buy her CD.

Anyhow, that's my feeling at this moment. I may get weak and tune in after all! Who knows?
    :D

this is what happens when Toni does not tune in to her TV on monday mornings

help me out FCC stands for what again... and yikes about any sort of investigation!

LaToya will be on Letterman tonight!

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by Tonichelle
    this is what happens when Toni does not tune in to her TV on monday mornings

help me out FCC stands for what again... and yikes about any sort of investigation!
    Federal Communications Commission, which regulates everything that is broadcast over radio or TV. I'm glad they are investigating this travesty, but the FCC about as fair and impartial investigation as Joseph McCarthy was during the HUAC (House Unamerican Activites Committee) investigations.
    Originally posted by Tonichelle
    Until then, tune in Tuesday at 8/7c on FOX for the most important performances yet. Fantasia, Jasmine and Diana can't afford to miss a single note right now.
    What not has Jasmine not missed in weeks and here she is in the final three. Look, she certainly seems like a genuinely nice girl, is very pretty, and every so often doesn't miss a note. Seriously, as I've said before, in week one, I had high hopes for her in terms of improvement. Also, she can look gorgeous. I don't have a thing in the world against her. But she can't sing and she can't perform. On last night's show, she couldn't even get one note of the first phrase out on key. The poor girl is in totally over her head and the worst thing is, she must think it's because she's a good singer! Wouldn't you if you got to the top three out of a group with six or seven singers who were/are far better than you? Wouldn't you think, "Wow, I must have something special," or "God must want me to pursue my talent as a singer otherwise I wouldn't have gotten this far." The thing I found sad is that even Jasmine knew she should have been going home weeks ago and FOR SURE knew it should have been last week. Whether or not she gets voted off tonight or if she wins, she will be Jasmine Guarini. Justin got to #2 because of his looks and by people doing him the "favor" of voting for "that cute boy!" he got a fast, brutal lesson in, "Baby, you're a can of peaches on the shelf. If you don't sell, we don't want you. Period." This is part of why the FCC needs to investigate AI because people are being scammed.

Though I didn't hear about the vote blocking thing Mathman mentioned, it doesn't surprise me. Jasmine was a loooooooongshot from early on and no doubt people have a lot of big money on her to win, or for a favorite like LaToya NOT to win, that the mob--now thrown out of its old haunts like Las Vegas, where it belonged--are using all manner of technology to make sure AI is no longer about discovering new talent but about making a few mob gamblers a LOT of money.

Here's an interesting tidbit reported on Access Hollywood friday night. For last week's vote, the Verizon spokesman said that out of Hawaii's population of 1.2 million, 5 million calls were attempted. Out of that 5 million, 1.3 million got through, which is 15% higher than normal. I'd be curious to see the phone statistics on the other 49 states. So Simon was right. Jasmine better get started on those thank-you notes.

Rgal already explained her response, but Toni, I don't understand the "poor AI" comment. The producers are making more money on this sham of a show than they did on AI-1 or AI-2--maybe both together! Also, the producers decide on the voting process and they've got to know exactly what's going on. On last night's special, I think both Randy and Simon said that the "shocking" vote results were actually good for the show because they remind people to keep voting for their favorites and also that AI would be so dull and predictable if all the expected people got voted off that people would lose interest and not watch. Puh-lease. That's like expecting employees to tell the truth about how screwed up their managers and directors are--and do so on national TV. IMO, AI-2 was the best of the three because no one truly awful was kept on over somebody who was truly talented. If the Claymations want to keep harping on Ruben's very narrow win controversial and continue to complain about something Simon said to Clay but not to (take your pick), let them knock themselves out (and I really hope they DO knock themselves out, lol, or actually, just get a life).

When Tamyra Grey was voted off before Nikki McKibbon and Justin Guarini, I think by that time it was too late to inject any voting drama into the show or encourage people to vote for their favorite. The drama and interest in AI, IMO, comes from mainly from the surprising performances. You never know when somebody is truly going to sing in a way that is truly transcendant. Mike and JohnnyCoop are much better than I am at remembering the breakthrough performances for each season. But just to be general, what got me watching AI-1 was when Kelly sang "Natural Woman," which blew me away, and then kept getting better and better, week after week, while at the same time, Tamyra Grey was sometimes not as good as Kelly (but not by much), sometimes better, and sometimes in a dead heat. When I lost interest in AI-1 was when Tamyra got voted off. Now we get to hear either Can't Sing Nikki or Can't Sing Justin "battle it out" with Kelly Clarkson for AI-1. Whoop-dee-doo. That's real drama and suspense. I couldn't have cared less about AI-1 after Tamyra was gone because Kelly was a slam-dunk.

By contrast, I was interested in AI-2 because the final two were very different, but had huge numbers of fans. It was anybody's guess.

This season, I was so hoping for a Jennifer, Fantasia, LaToya final three and any two of them in the final. When Jennifer was voted off, I figured it was a combination of the teen element and that Jennifer was AI-3's Tamyra. I was bummed, but not disheartened. But when LaToya went, any possibility of an interesting final two was gone. So I think Simon and Randy are as wrong as they can be about the top singers and performers being voted off being a "good" thing that brings excitement to the show. As I said before, what brings excitement to AI for me are amazing performances--or sometimes an uncharacteristically poor performances from a great singers and wondering if that anomaly will spell the singer's doom. Life is plenty unfair. If a show is advertising that the viewing audience has THE say in who stays and who goes, but it's really about who has the best rapid repeat dialers, phone dialing software, teenage groupies with said toys, and that the only thing you can count on is that best singer/performers will be voted off, that holds zero interest for me. I'll save my time, wait till the wheat separates from the chafe on the radio and buy who I like.

As for Jasmine, Fantasia, and Diana last night, in the interview Jasmine seemed to be herself--scared to death--except dressed up in clothes that don't match her level of sophistication. I won't rehash yet another disastrous Jasmine performance. But I will say that I take my hat off to all the 16-year-olds in AI for going through all this while also having to get in so many hours of school per day. However, I also totally agree with Simon that the minimum age should be 18. For one thing it gets rid of most of the "attack of the teens," even though I'm sure all AI needs to do is get a really hot looking 18-year-old guy who can barely sing (think Billy Ray Cyrus and "Achey Breaky Heart") into the final 12 and that phenomenon will go wild again.

Diana was actually an interesting dichotomy. On the one hand, I must give Diana her due for saying she listened to Quentin Tarantino's criticism of "I feel like there's a pain of glass between us" and concentrated on connecting more by trying to sing as if she were singing to her friends at home. Good for her. But later, near the end of giggle-packed interview Seacrest asked her, "Are you really this perky and bubbly ALL the time?" Diana, who had previously responded to similar questions with answers like, "Yep, that's just me, it's just natural, I'm just like this," this time said, "[Giggle, giggle] Well, yeah, I'm always like this. At least I try to be. I mean, I think it's always good to be positive about things because then positive things will happen to you." The part that struck me was, "At least I try to be." Maybe it's just the hyperactivity of her particular personality at 16, but I found it odd that she would say she TRIES to always be something that she has always said is "just natural." You don't try to be natural, you just are.

As for Diana's song, as I said before, I never appreciated how great Gloria Estafan is until I heard other people, like Diana, try to sing her songs.

I'm now a complete Fantasia fan. I found her interview absolutely charming, relaxed, and funny. Favorite part: When Seacrest asked her what she did back in her very small home town, her response of, "I'd be sittin' around. Eatin'. Gettin' after Zion. Eatin'. Watch TV. Eatin'." etc. When she first sang "Signed, Sealed, and Delivered" on I think the first voting show, I thought, "This girl just has 'IT!' I hope she can keep it up." Fantasia hasn't disappointed me and IMO is the only AIer who (a) has moved me at all with her singing and (b) moved me twice. Last night's "Signed, Sealed, and Delievered" was even better than the first time, although feeling that initial "Wow!" can never be repeated, because I felt she was really telling the story to what most singers would treat as pop fluff with no real meaning. First, second, or gone, I just hope somebody gives Fantasia the record contract she deserves and that her producer makes best use of someone who I think is straight out of nowhere star.

One last word on LaToya. I've seen and heard her on Entertainment Tonight and other such shows a lot over the last week. At one point, some interviewer asked her what she thought of some people's comments that what hurt LaToya was that we really didn't get to see her personality. LaToya responded (doing this from memory), "I wasn't there to show off my personality. I was just there to do my business." When I heard the third or fourth rendition of the exact same not for note version of "Don't Rain on My Parade," I wish that Simon or Randy would have pushed LaToya much earlier in the competition to express her personality. Don't get me wrong, I'll take LaToya way over Jasmine any day, but I do think that in the last three or so weeks before LaToya was voted off, Diana actually had taken Quentin Tarantino's "pane of glass" critique to heart and tried to connect more with the audience, and even though Diana is almost all frosting and very little cake, IMO, I think LaToya's aloofness hurt her and will continue to hurt her if she thinks that being a performing singer means "just business" and has nothing to do with personality.

And I have one more point of confusion, Toni, as usual, lol. You said, "A lot of people voted just to get Fantasia off... and since LaToya's number was busy they all voted for Jazz and Diana..." I assume you're saying that people were voting like crazy for Diana, Jasmine, and LaToya so they could get rid of Fantasia. First of all, what's your source for the information that "a lot of people voted just to get Fantasia off?" Yes, I'm a fan, but no matter who you would have said, I would have wondered, "How does she know that?" I'm aware of and have looked at the various AI websites and I haven't seen any statistics about anybody. The only poll I saw was on Access Hollywood last week that found that 91% of those polled felt AI had lost it's credibility. Anyway, why would LaToya be the one to get voted off if her line was always busy? Just
    Rgirl

Custom Title
    Instead of starting a new thread I'll just comment on tonight's performances in this one.

Jasmine and Diana: GO HOME!!!

Fantasia blew everyone out of the water tonight. Simon said it all when he looked at Fantasia and said "What does that sign behind you say?" Of course he was talking about the American Idol sign.

My Rankings:

Song 1:

Fantasia: Amazing, although it did remind me a tad too much of her rendition of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine".

Jasmine: Poor song choice, but not that bad.

Diana: I said it during her performance, and Simon said it after--she shouted that song.

Song 2:

Fantasia: Very good, solid and consistent.

Jasmine: I think it might have been the worst song I've ever heard lyrics-wise, but she actually hit most of the notes.

Diana: Boring and dull. I love that even Randy criticized it even though it was his song choice.

Song 3:

Fantasia: Although it was not her best performance of the competition I think that this song won Fantasia the title of American Idol. It really drew the fans in emotionally, once again showing Fantasia to be a down-to-earth, emotionally driven artist.

Diana: Excellent song choice by Clive Davis, although she was WAY off pitch for the first thirty seconds. She saved it by being able to belt out all of her glory notes at the end.

Jasmine: So wrong on so many levels. First, Latoya already did this song better than Jasmine could ever hope to. Second, Jasmine sang it horribly.

Predictions: There will be no upset like last week. Fantasia is guaranteed a spot in the final two. I'm not quite sure what will happen with Diana and Jasmine. Based on the last few weeks Diana probably deserves to advance a little more; however, I think that Simon might have brought out the Jasmine fans to save her again. We shall see tomorrow.

Mike, I read a few reviews on a couple of other websites and they were very much different from your review. I guess I will wait and decide myself when I watch tonight.........42

Oh, all right! I cave. I'll watch it tonight if only to watch Fantasia bring down the house!

Twinnie and Sarahmistral and others: wonderful posts! Thank you for taking the time to post your amazing analyses and thoughts! I actually do have comments to add, just no time to do it right now--later!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast