Motown 45 on tonight 5/17 | Golden Skate

Motown 45 on tonight 5/17

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
On ABC from 8 to 10 pm.( East coast). I've heaerd mixed reviews on this.

guinevere

Final Flight
Highlights were Gladys Knight, and Brian McKnight's excellent cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?".

Lowlights were the many geezer/ingenue duets (sorry, it creeped me out a bit to have Lionel Ritchie singing 'Endless Love' with Kelly Rowlands - although their song was more successful than the dreadful Smokey Robinson/Joss Stone duet, in which they seemed to be singing different keys the whole time), and having K. Lo and Cedric the Entertainer sing "It Takes Two" after a commercial break that included an ad for the Nick Lachey/Jessica Simpson variety show - and a clip of them singing "It Takes Two"!

Missed opportunity - the Commodores performed, and how cool would it have been if original member (and Motown 45 co-host) Lionel Ritchie had joined them?

I missed the first 30 minutes and didn't see the Supremes perform. I assume this was the Supremes minus Ms. Ross, or else it would have been a lot later in the program.

guinevere

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I was very disappointed. I love classic Motown and usually prefer the old school but for this show some of the younger singers were much better than the original artisits who performed. Quinevere ITA about the creep out factor.

First was Lonel Ritchie singing "All Night Long". His voice was as good as ever.

The Supremes were Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong, and Kelly Rolands. Kelly resembles a young Wison. They sang a medly. Mary Wilson looked and sounded awful. Any three out of the final 12 of this year's AI could have done a better job, IMO.

Nick Lachey and Jermaine Jackson "I'll Be There". For some reason this brought me to tears. I felt really bad for Jermaine.

Ravyn Simone "Superstition". This was HORRIBLE
:eek: :eek: :eek: . Looked like she was trying to channel Janet Jackson and even had a wardrobe malfunction of wearing a pair of jeans that were about five sizes too small.

The Four Tops a medly of their hits. Theo Peoples is an OK replacement for Levi Stubbs but seemed to have forgotten the words on "Reach Out":sheesh: .

Macy Gray "Let's get It On". Maybe it's just me but I prefer to hear a guy sing this song:D :D :D . I think that Fantasia can out sing Macy Gray.

Kimberly Locke "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" one of my all time favorite songs. This sounded a lot like the arrangment that Joan Osbourne used in The Standing in the Shadows of Motown show. Not as soulful as Joan but still did a great job.

Gerald Levert "Do You Love Me?" I would love a CD of Gerald and The Funk Brothers. Great job...this guy can sing!!!

Smoky still sounds like Smoky. Like Guinevere said the duet with Joss Stone was icky. Joss can sing though!

Gladys Knight was excellent! Joey Fatone, Cedric, George Lopez, and one of Gladys' brothers filled in for the Pips.

Wayne Brady "I Wish" a pleasant surprise.

The Fake A** Temptations (exceprt for Otis Williams, the only member of the C5 still alive). A medly...:mad:

Kelly and Lional "Endless love". The singing was pretty good on this one. Kelly has joined theJLo double sided tape club.:D

Thelma Houston "Don't Leave Me This Way" Sounded good looked awful.

Micheal McDonald "Signed Sealed Delivered" excellant.

The Commodores "Night Shift" another sad moment. Would have been a nice time to show a montage of all of the Motown stars that are no longer here. Will never happen as long as Berry Gordy is still alive

Cedric and Kimberly Locke "It Takes two" the background music just wasn't right for this one.

Brian McNight "What's Goin On?" excellent.

Ashford and Simpson "Ain't No Wountain High Enough" this couple need a stylist!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I missed it... my little brother hates mo town so we watched fear factor... and American Idol

then CSI: Miami was on and we *have* to watch that cuz mom is obsessed with that show... I would try and watch it during commercial breaks... but missed K Lo and Wayne Brady :)()

guinevere

Final Flight
Piel, thanks for the great breakdown. Hearing what happened in the first half hour, I'm really glad I missed it. I came in right as K. Lo started her first song.

Lionel Ritchie and Gladys Knight were notable because their voices still sound good. Michael MacDonald also still has got it (even though his voice was never my cup o' tea). I didn;t really want to mention that a lot of the older singers were not doing so well, because it made me sad, but it's true. Even Smokey - he still sounds like Smokey Robinson, but his voice has lost the powere and oomph - now he's left with a wvering falsetto. But it didn't help that the solo song he performed was pretty 'meh'.

Kelly Rowlands' dress during 'Endless Love' was awful. Why why WHY do female singers feel they need to dress that way? (Why does ANYONE feel they need to dress like that?, for that matter)

I'm glad there was a Jackson there somewhere. I mean, I understand why there wasn't a big Jackson-a-Go-Go, but the Jackson 5 was a huge part of Motown, wasn't it?

Wayne Brady did a good job with a great Stevie Wonder song - good dancing, too!

I'm so glad I missed the uber-annoying Ravyn-Simone mangle my all-time favorite Stevie Wonder song...

guinevere

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kelly Rowlands' dress during 'Endless Love' was awful. Why why WHY do female singers feel they need to dress that way? (Why does ANYONE feel they need to dress like that?, for that matter)

I kept thinking come on Lional keep your eyes off of her chest.LOL.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Darn Piel, I missed it. I wanted to hear Kimberely sing......42