First attempt at skating not a total wash | Golden Skate

First attempt at skating not a total wash

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Oh goodness.... Just went skating for the first time ever (not including my one trip in second grade) it was pretty funny. I went during an adult only skate thinking there would be fewer people there.... but that was silly because I forgot school is still going on so I should try to go during the day.

I was there for about an hour, and I managed to make it around the rink maybe 10 times... didnt fall once.... but I didnt let go of the wall either.

I was fun at least.

Questions-

Should my laces be tied so hard it hurts? This seemed to give me more ankle strength (still very wobbly)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Well congrats on making it around the rink ten times for your first time out!

Laces should be snug but not hurting.

cborsky

Rinkside
Tie them snug so you get the ankle support you need. If they hurt too much to tie them snug... you might need to get the ankles punched out so your ankle bones don't cause you pain or get bruised.

If your skates are tied comfortably and you still get wobbles, its probably just some weak skating muscles that you aren't used to using. Don't worry, they will be strong in no time and then you'll be gliding along with ease!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Thanks for the input guys... I think the problem may be that my ghetto skates are not too hard and need punching out, but rather that they are vinyl and not supportive enough. I over compensate by tying the laces so tight my circulation is strained.... I think when I get my ankle strength built up it wont be an issue (so dissapointed in myself that I was on toe for 8 years and now I have weak ankles!!!!)

Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to hug the wall for an hour or so.... I think the hockey boys enjoy it. Do they really need to do that stop and swoosh scrape the ice thing so much? They are trying to make me nervous.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Longhornliz-
There really isn't what is called "weak ankles". A good fitting skate will keep your ankles straight. Equipment is so important in skating. If a skate is too big and flimsy you will not get the support you need. Good luck!

cborsky

Rinkside
Yeah, dlkksk8fan is right about the boot support. I think most figure skaters acutally suffer from weak ankles. Boots are so supportive that you don't need a lot of ankle strength. I have to do off-ice excercises to keep my ankle strength up.

But you are a dancer right? I'm sure you know lots of exercises to keep your ankles strong... in fact yours are probably stronger than mine are right now.

Maybe if there is room in your boots, try taping your ankles for extra support. I've done this as a last resort when I've needed new skated but they had to be ordered in. To keep me from injuring feet and ankles I'd tape them up for the support that my boots weren't giving me... stretchy tape works best.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Yay, Liz!

Keep us posted, will you? I've been trying to work up the nerve to head to the rink myself, you just may end up inspiring some of us!
Rave

ouridol

On the Ice
First off congrats, that is an accomplishment within itself. :D Now just try to let go of the wall and your skates should be fit firmly but not actually hurting.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
GO, LIZ, GO!!! :D What a great start!!! Keep on skating and join us in the practice thread. (Doggone it, we need that little cheerleader smilie, here, Paula!!!) :)

RoaringMice

On the Ice
You do NOT have week ankles. You have cr*ppy skates. Don't blame your ankles, blame your skates.

Cr*ppy skates can really impact your skating, and make you uncomfortable and/or miserable. New skaters often think they have "weak ankles", but they DON'T! It's the bad skates! Keep this in mind and don't blame your body.

If you enjoy the skating, you're going to want to upgrade. Until then, just do your best with the skates you have and enjoy!

If the wobbliness is bothering you, then the idea of taping the skates is a good one. I think you also do this to toe shoes in ballet when they start to break down. It's the same idea - to give the shoe/boot some support in specific areas.

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Thanks for all the support everyone!!!! I have now convinced 2 of my friends from high school to start going to the rink with me (none of us can stay on our feet for more that 4 trips around the rink) and its so much fun. We just laugh at each other and fall on our buts. I think I'm going to start saving for better skates.... mine are definatly shady.