CBBC Documentary Ice Stars | Golden Skate

CBBC Documentary Ice Stars

LRK

Record Breaker
New CBBC documentary series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/cbbc-ice-stars

"The series will explore the world of skating from first timers to future Olympians and discover that, whether it’s ice hockey or synchro, figure or speed skating, dance or jumps, it is a competitive world that requires dedication and sacrifices not just for the skaters themselves but often for the whole family."

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sounds great! I love documentaries. Will they be skaters we recognize, I wonder...?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sounds great! I love documentaries. Will they be skaters we recognize, I wonder...?

Well, I know Aleksander Liubchenko and Jean-Denis Sanchis are appearing at some stage on the third series of another CBBC programme, "Officially Amazing" (a co-production with Guinness World Records, so it's all about breaking records).

Officially Amazing Series 3 Trailer

So, you might summise that the Beeb would try to make license fee payers' money go as far as possible, and use these two for multiple programmes, seeing as they have them there already...

Who am I kidding?! The BBC doesn't know how to use money sensibly! :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

bravesirrobin

Spectator
No skaters you'll recognize.

It's a documentary aimed at young people viewing the CBBC channel in the UK. It has been filmed at the National Ice Centre in Nottingham focusing on the young and upcoming skaters in all disciplines:
figure, dance, synchro, hockey and short track speed. They've been filming training sessions of all the figure,synchro,dance,academy groups and hockey and racing club skaters at Nottingham, both on-ice and off-ice. They've been exploring the lives of some of the skaters off the ice as well, such as how the intense training schedules fit in with school, socials lives etc. and how it affects the skaters families. In short it is a documentary about "what it takes to try and become a top skater". These are normal kids living extraordinary lives in their attempts to reach the top in a tough sport and the BBC feel that it may be inspirational to other children. The documentary crew have been at the rink since the middle of February and have just completed filming. The highlight of the show is the production of the annual skating gala which has just taken place at the National Ice Centre.

It should be a very interesting documentary. Will be worth watching I think. It will most likely go to air on CBBC in September/October 2015.

LRK

Record Breaker
No skaters you'll recognize.

It's a documentary aimed at young people viewing the CBBC channel in the UK. It has been filmed at the National Ice Centre in Nottingham focusing on the young and upcoming skaters in all disciplines:
figure, dance, synchro, hockey and short track speed. They've been filming training sessions of all the figure,synchro,dance,academy groups and hockey and racing club skaters at Nottingham, both on-ice and off-ice. They've been exploring the lives of some of the skaters off the ice as well, such as how the intense training schedules fit in with school, socials lives etc. and how it affects the skaters families. In short it is a documentary about "what it takes to try and become a top skater". These are normal kids living extraordinary lives in their attempts to reach the top in a tough sport and the BBC feel that it may be inspirational to other children. The documentary crew have been at the rink since the middle of February and have just completed filming. The highlight of the show is the production of the annual skating gala which has just taken place at the National Ice Centre.

It should be a very interesting documentary. Will be worth watching I think. It will most likely go to air on CBBC in September/October 2015.

Thanks for all the info! Yes, it does sound very interesting - and I'm glad they're doing something that may inspire other children to think about skating too.

And I see this is your first post - Welcome to GS! As they say... Post often, post long.:)

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
thanks for sharing! it seems really interesting. I am looking forward to see that

LRK

Record Breaker
LRK - have you seen this? Älska isen! - a documentary about young Swedish skaters...it just came up in my FB feed today. I don't understand any Swedish, but it looks interesting.

http://www.svtplay.se/video/2912441/alska-isen/alska-isen-avsnitt-1

No, I hadn't seen that.

"Love the ice

What happens to a young person who stakes all? What is it that makes young people go to a cold ice hall at four o'clock in the morning? Does it take special talent or can everyone who practices become stars? To succeed at dancing on the ice takes both artistry and a head for competition. In figure skating sport and ballet meet. Meet Sweden's most promising young talent who have their sights set on WCH and Olympics and on their way there are chasing "perfect jumps and music"."

(Rough hasty translation of the side text.)

The program can be watched until 8th June.

Last edited:

bravesirrobin

Spectator
Cheers

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I'll let everyone know when the broadcast dates for Ice Stars are given out.All I know right now is that it'll be in 10 weekly parts, on the CBBC channel in the UK and it is likely to start broadcasting in September or October this year. The show is in editing/production right now as all the filming has finished. I can also tell you that the Gala, which will be the highlight of the documentary, was rather good with all the Nottingham kids from the little ones right the way up to the seniors giving excellent performances to a crowd of 2000. Highly enjoyable it was.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for continuing to keep us informed - and all the behind-the-scenes stuff. I'm glad it all ended (with the gala) on such a high note.:)