Proposed Russian Law to Limit an Athlete to 2 Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Proposed Russian Law to Limit an Athlete to 2 Olympics

gmyers

Record Breaker
So much success of Russia in sochi was because of multiple Olympics athletes so this would never actually become a law. Someone has a grudge over plushenko wd-ing from the individual. But that's silly because no other russian man was likely top 10 material and would have cost russia team gold.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So much success of Russia in sochi was because of multiple Olympics athletes so this would never actually become a law. Someone has a grudge over plushenko wd-ing from the individual. But that's silly because no other russian man was likely top 10 material and would have cost russia team gold.

Exactly, the guy may as well have called it the "I Hate Plushy Law".

If the older athletes are still competitive and able to do it, they should be able to! The young-ins will just have to step up their game.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ridiculous, and only hurts Russia at the Olympics. Send your most talented people. End of story.

:clap: :agree:

Hence why why the USFSA sent Ashley Wagner to the Olympics and Worlds last season even though she wasn't in the Top 3 at Nationals. (And not this anti-Japanese racism nonsense against Mirai Nagasu that the mass-media tried to paint it as. Although, I still say that the best compromise solution would have been to send Mirai to Worlds in preference to Polina E.)

If this is true, it's a classic case of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Winning medals seems to be extremely important to Russia, and yet they would be barring many potential medalists from competing, ultimately just depriving themselves of that glory. And yet, given the twisted logic many politicians seem to be adept at, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if this is in fact true.

Exactly on all points, peg.

With the sheer number of talent junior skaters coming through the ranks in Russia, I can see the benefits of this system. It gives them a better chance of getting the opportunity to represent their country on the biggest stage.

However, I do not like the principle of limiting the number of appearances that an athlete gets at the Olympics. If they are still good enough after already appearing at 2 Olympics, then they should be able to get a shot at getting on the team.

Look at Noriaki Kasai in ski jumping. He has won 3 Olympic Medals, all on the Big Hill. The first (a silver) came in the Team Competition at his second Olympics, Lillehammer 1994. His next 2 medals, his second Team medal (bronze) and his first individual medal (silver), came in Sochi, his SEVENTH Olympics.

If Japan had brought in this rule, Nori would only have a solitary Olympic medal, and would not have an individual medal.

I had to go to the Wikipedia page about most Olympic appearances to find out just how many Olympics Nori had been at. But while there, I noticed something that should be interesting for you, peg. By my calculations, your homeland would have lost out on at least 7 medals if this had been applied!!! :eek: (The table only started with athletes with at least 6 appearances, so it may be more!)

Kateřina Neumannová would have lost all 6 of her medals (1 Gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze)
Štěpánka Hilgertová would have lost a gold from Sydney

As for my part of the world (Northern Ireland), the 2 most successful Olympians/Paralympians from Northern Ireland, Jason Smyth (4 Golds) and Michael McKillop (3 Golds), would not be allowed to compete in the next Paralympics, as it would be their third Games.

And for a country as small as Northern Ireland, we need to make the most of our star athletes!

So, on balance, my verdict is a definite NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Noolan

On the Ice
No way will that law pass. The most important thing for every country is getting as many medals as it can. No way will they sacrifice medal count for some general idea of bringing up new athletes. No country does that.

witcher

Match Penalty
Look at Noriaki Kasai in ski jumping. He has won 3 Olympic Medals, all on the Big Hill. The first (a silver) came in the Team Competition at his second Olympics, Lillehammer 1994. His next 2 medals, his second Team medal (bronze) and his first individual medal (silver), came in Sochi, his SEVENTH Olympics.

If Japan had brought in this rule, Nori would only have a solitary Olympic medal, and would not have an individual medal.
41yo Noriaki wins in Bad Mittendorf, setting record for the oldest winner of World Cup competition. All his younger rivals, top world jumpers come over after the jump and congratulate him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlhJSQe3dQI

The above rule is against one of the fundamental appeals of the sport - respect to the old champions. Just no. :disagree:

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Its seems to me that they tend to come up with silly laws to distract attantion from some other **** =D
The law itself is pretty dumb because it would just hurt russian chances - for example, just talking about FS, Rodnina won 3 Olympic medals. So what, she could do it and she did.
Of course, if she was not allowed to participate of the third Olympics, Soviet Union would have the gold still (Smirnova / Suraikin), but that would be 1 medal instead of 2.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is shoddy journalism with the only mention of the subject being the first vague sentence "Russian lawmakers will consider banning its athletes from competing in more than two Olympics". If true, it is another thoughtless reactionary law making practiced by just about all governments, with unintended consequences causing more reactionary laws.

Canada's Ian Miller has gone to the Olympics 10 times, winning a gold medal anchoring the Canadian equestrian team on his 9th trip in 2008. At 68, he is still going strong, winning the $1.5-million CP International at Spruce Meadows just last September. His children also compete in the same sport but can't compare their achievements to old Dad's.

Matilda

Medalist
This is beyond ridiculous. But maybe this is not about Plushy at all, but about the Finnish hockey player Teemu Selanne, who in his SIXTH Olympics :bow: in Sochi helped kick Russia out of medal contention? :p

Alchamei

Record Breaker
This rule is just... Hm. Can I use swear word please?

By the way, CaroLiza_Fan your analysis of the Olympic games results is very interesting. I would be certainly very angry if this rule was valid, meaning we would lose majority of our medals (we don't have a lot of medals, since we are a small country). I still remember the moment when Katka Neumanová finally won an Olympic Gold medal in her final OG race. I was a little girl, but it was exactly one of the moments you exactly remember what you were doing at that time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is beyond ridiculous. But maybe this is not about Plushy at all, but about the Finnish hockey player Teemu Selanne, who in his SIXTH Olympics :bow: in Sochi helped kick Russia out of medal contention? :p

They do it at the cost of losing Ovechkin from the Russian hockey team.
Perhaps not the smartest of moves even if only hockey were affected.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is shoddy journalism with the only mention of the subject being the first vague sentence "Russian lawmakers will consider banning its athletes from competing in more than two Olympics". If true, it is another thoughtless reactionary law making practiced by just about all governments, with unintended consequences causing more reactionary laws. ...

No problem if you disagree with the proposed law.

But your opinion of the proposed law does not justify your accusation that the article in the OP is shoddy journalism.

The Associated Press reported the same story:

Last edited:

Naya

On the Ice
Two obvious conclusions about this:

Some Russian lawmakers hasn't much to do with their time and are a waste of space;
Plushy withdraw was such a big trauma.

Anyway, there's no reason to worry about, it's very unlikely this idea go forward. There are enough cases of athletes who are clear medal contenders at their 3rd Olympics. In Russia, Plushenko and Isinbayeva are just 2 examples.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
This planned law is not just about figure skating, it would concern all athletes. In my opinion the law would be fair, especially in figure skating as the skaters with reputation are getting inflated scores (= Plushenko as a good example).

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
This planned law is not just about figure skating, it would concern all athletes. In my opinion the law would be fair, especially in figure skating as the skaters with reputation are getting inflated scores (= Plushenko as a good example).

I dont think that should be regulated by law, still...
And it would not be fair to the really GREAT athletes, who actually work hard to get their skills and titles. And well, if one is good enough to participate in 10 olympic games, this person definitely deserves it and should be allowed to participate in all.

I dont think Plushenko is really a good example. Because well, it was rather not pretty in Sochi, ofc. But then, they would send lets say Kovtun. He wouldn´t medal (his career best is below top 3, and well, everybody seen him at Worlds). So there is not really such a difference for Russia.

LRK

Record Breaker

I really cannot see them passing a law that would be detrimental to hockey - regardless of any other concerns.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Ovechkin did very bad in vancouver and sochi. Time for him to be dropped but not by any law.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No problem if you disagree with the proposed law.

My comment was more about the law making than the never-will-be law.

But your opinion of the proposed law does not justify your accusation that the article in the OP is shoddy journalism.

The Associated Press reported the same story:

These reports are more in depth than the NBC piece. When a report contains a vague statement and the rest comes across as speculation of motives, I call it shoddy journalism.

In any case, this is just one of the many ill considered attention grabbing ideas submitted by a politician, just like in the US and elsewhere.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If they want to get rid of Plushenko (or anyone else in particular), there are... easier ways to do so? Just don't include them on the team. Even if Plushenko lands a quad lutz and wins 2018 Nationals by 40 points, don't include him on the team. Problem solved.

I also find it hard to believe how anyone would trade Vancouver silver (the best figure skating result of that Olympics) with a... hmm, Top 6 finish in Sochi?

No way this troll/joke law will be passed.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If you want to understand the whole story need to know these interesting view detail:

1. The head of the LDPR party: Vladimir Zhirinovsky (born Vladimir Volfovich Eidelstein) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky He is a Russian jewish who is famous about his anti-zionism!!!:laugh2: He is the "showman" of Russian politic.

2. Zhririnovsky is very good friend of Baturin who is the former husband of Yana Rudkovskaya. Rudkovskaya is Plushenko's current wife. :biggrin: Yana wanted to divorce, their divorce was very infamous, the Russian media was loud with it, because Yana is also very famous and Baturin is a billionaire . Baturin is currently in prison for fraud. Baturin gave money to Zhirinovsky's party.

3. In 2013 after Plushenko's surgery Zhirinovsky attacked him, because he had surgery in Israel not in Russia. He almost said Plushenko is a traitor.

4. Zhirinovsky attacked Plushenko immediately after he was determined to compete at the Olympics, and continued even fiercer, after Plushy's withdraw due to injury.

;)

my friend said: "The russians know thier idiots, now know them the whole world" :clap:

Last edited: