Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WHO makes the best boots and blades in the biz?

In love with the axel!
    Glacier - I love my (stock) Klingbeils. Zero break in, comfy as slipper from the start. The only problem I had with them, and it didn't start until I started doing doubles again, was the tongue slipping to the outside and digging into my ankle bone. Solved that by using a cut lace looped through the tongue slot to hold it in place. My fitter is having them put hooks on the tongue for his custom skate customers to address this problem. You might want to mention it to them when you go in. And please, forward my pleasure with their product while you're there! I'll be looking at another pair soon myself - just need to save up the $.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964
    Glacier - I love my (stock) Klingbeils. Zero break in, comfy as slipper from the start. The only problem I had with them, and it didn't start until I started doing doubles again, was the tongue slipping to the outside and digging into my ankle bone. Solved that by using a cut lace looped through the tongue slot to hold it in place. My fitter is having them put hooks on the tongue for his custom skate customers to address this problem. You might want to mention it to them when you go in. And please, forward my pleasure with their product while you're there! I'll be looking at another pair soon myself - just need to save up the $.
    1964, I will send your regards. I am glad that you mentioned the tongue hook. I have been corresponding with Mr. Klingbeil via email (probably driving him crazy) and he assued me that they can make any adjustment that I would like on the boots, from the typical options to the knotch at the ankle so more flex. I am also going to see if they can roll the leather at the top of the boot. I think that the rough terrian at the top of my Teri's is impacting my spread eagle, as it cuts into my legs.

I am starting that climb to the axel and doubles, and I need have confidence in my boots. Currently, I do not. I think that SPTeri make a good product, I just think that maybe my fitting was not so good, or they are not the right boot for me. I have fought them since I got them going on 3 years ago. I am very much anticipating November.

Question on the GRAF's: You said that you tried the Edmonton on. I have not seen any custom options for this company, and suspect that they make only stock. If that is the case (and I have heard it said that the Europeans do not do customs, they just get really good stock boots - many of them in GRAFs) then how do you get a good fit? Are they just that good that a stock boot in your foot size will automatically fit? I hate to sound so clueless, but with the things that skating does to one's feet, I am surprised that I have not seen anything on GRAF customs. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Glacierskater- I just called Graf and they said they make custom skates. Here is their number (toll free) 1-888-703-GRAF (4723). Give them a call and see what they say.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I will call them and see what they say.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3