Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHO makes the best boots and blades in the biz?

Custom Title

MK

I think MK's are the best blades...i have MK Phantoms

Custom Title
    Although Sarah has found her skates I'm just adding a note for anyone who may read this as reference in the future......our skate guy here HATES the new Reidells w/ the cork soles--he says a blade mounted on those is bound to come loose sooner rather than later because the cork is not substantial enough to keep the screws tight over time. Just an extra bit of info.

hoping this thread is helpful...

for anyone else looking for skates, so by all means keep it going if anyone has anything else to add or comment on, so other posters looking for skates can benefit from it as much as I did! I'm sure y'all do this all the time (I'm relatively new to the Lutz Corner); thanks again!

Cheers,
    Sarah

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Backspin thanks for the heads up. One of the skaters at my rink got them about 6 months ago and loves them. I even considered looking into them until I read your thread (Reidell's with cork heel). I mentioned this to one of the veteran skaters at my rink this past weekend and we both agreed that it makes sense that the cork would not hold up as well.

I have custom SP-Teri's that kill my feet. I had them pounded out a bit by the bunion area because my foot was cramping. And the heel has started to slip on both boots. Not a good thing for one that needs confidence that her foot is not going to be sliding around in her boot while learning the axel.

I have contacted SP-Teri about this and I am a lady in waiting to see if they can help. I have had these boots for 2.5 years, and had problems from the beginning (customs, mind you). I thought that I was being a whimp and suffered through it. Surely, after 3 FS levels and all my single jumps they would be broken in. Anyone had any luck with post sale customer service at SP-Teri?

For all the years that I have skated I always had SP-Teri's and they always hurt my feet. I just got a new pair of Graf's which I really like-no breaking in time.

Skating Soprano
    You should *never* *ever* *ever* have a ton of pain with boots, even in break in. I thought I was being a wimp too with my Reidells, but I really simply needed customs for my messed up feet. Ive had no pain from the new ones at all...

Rinkside
    I had SP-teris for years but now I have Jacksons and I love them! My only complaint is that they break down too quickly....but then again I'm pretty hard on my skates!

I have been looking at GRAF, Harlick, and Klingbeil's. I emailed SP-Teri but have yet to receive a reply. Oh frustration....custom boots, not broken down, and skating in pain, or acute discomfort.

I hate to buy new boots, but am sick of skating in pain, or total numbness. Okay, I am off my soapbox. *heavy sigh*

Custom Title
    Some people say costom made boots are better, cause there made just for you or there easier to brake into. <(**<) (>**)>It's a dancing kirby!

Rinkside
    I have skated in Wifa's, Risports, Gams, and now Grafs. For me, Graf has been by far the best skate. But that's just my opinion, everyone's feet are different. But I'll be needing new boots for sure by the '05-'06 season, and I will get another pair of Grafs. I won't ever wear another kind. They were incredibly easy to break in, as well as light.

okay, back on my soapbox

I finally received a response from Mr. SPTeri himslef stating that I should have not waited and complained immediately to the person that did the fitting. (I thought that pain was part of breaking in new boots...shame on me) He said that I basically waited too long and it would cost $90 to fix what was wrong with them (heel slippage...just acquired in the last couple of months). I am disappointed to say the least with this situation. SO...

I have emailed GRAF and Klingbeil. Mr. Klingbeil emailed me back with 2 very enthusiastic emails, and has been very patient with all of my questions. Now it is down to GRAF and Klingbeil. I have found this thread to be of value for the pursuit of new boots. When it was started, I was not even thinking about new boots. I was going to grin (or grimace and bear it. I will be looking back over thi thread to see what info there is about the 2 selections. GRAF does not make a custom as far as I can tell, and I would not know how to order...anyone have ideas on that while I am waiting for them to reply?

Thanks! :\

Rinkside
    I have skated in reidells, harlicks, sp teris, jacksons, and now custom harlicks. I will never EVER EVER wear another pair of jacksons or reidells! My jackson boots broke down in four months, and in that time they gave me the worst bunions on both feet, so now I basically HAVE to go custom (which my mom is not too pleased about). The skates were fit by a very experienced skate dealer who sells harlick, sp teri, jackson, reidell, graf, you name it. I know a number of other skaters who have had the same kinds of problems with Jacksons, the toe box is just not wide enough for most feet. My custom harlicks are very nice, by the way....

The new Parabolic blades ROCK! they really help with edges and all takeoffs, including toe jumps, especially on harder ice (i'm convinced that our rink has the hardest, coldest ice in the history of the world! lol). I'll never use non-parabolic blades again. Parabloic Pattern 99 all the way!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacierskater
    Now it is down to GRAF and Klingbeil. I \
    I got my custom Klingbeils 5 weeks ago. (the famous not-purple boots). I did order them soft, however. And I can say that after three weeks of skating they were feeling mostly very, very GOOD. I definitely have to go back & get a place on one boot punched out a little, but it's not crippling (I haven't had time to go yet, as I've been out of town for 2 wks). I do think the heels could be tighter, but when i go back I think they will fix that. I had to get wedges, which I am sure they could have done, but it was easier to go to a more local person who has done it frequently for skaters. But overall, they feel comfortable. I think the service there is very, very good. (PS I really like my parabolic blades too!)

On the Ice
    hello
    sorry if im not late to add my two cents.
    i started lessons this past jan, which i bought a pair of stock,$180 reidell skates. so im in the same boat as you sarah. i havent had any problem learning the elements is a good-cheaper pair of skates. im up to salchow toe loop combos, and sit, back, camel spins. i dont think you will have any problem with your new skates. they sound really nice!! i hope they break in well for you, and are comfortable. youll have to keep an update here on your progress!!
    i must say i havent had too many problems with my reidell skates. i like them a lot. but i think my next pair will be grafs, and to go a lil further and buy the edmonton special! i tried them on the in skate shop which i fell in love with, but too expensive at the time i was buying. :D

Quote Originally Posted by artekgwent
    I got my custom Klingbeils 5 weeks ago. (the famous not-purple boots). I did order them soft, however. And I can say that after three weeks of skating they were feeling mostly very, very GOOD. I definitely have to go back & get a place on one boot punched out a little, but it's not crippling (I haven't had time to go yet, as I've been out of town for 2 wks). I do think the heels could be tighter, but when i go back I think they will fix that. I had to get wedges, which I am sure they could have done, but it was easier to go to a more local person who has done it frequently for skaters. But overall, they feel comfortable. I think the service there is very, very good. (PS I really like my parabolic blades too!)

Ohhhh, you got parabolics? How are those? Do they feel weird?

I have made my decision! I am spending my 35th birthday with my coach and some friends in NYC, and going to Jamaica, NY to get fitted by Mr. Klingbeil himself. I just have to hold onto these Teri's until November. Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will just stick with white...although purple AND pink would both be enticing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast