Poor, out of work college student needs help | Golden Skate

Poor, out of work college student needs help

lulu

Final Flight
No, this isn't SPAM-although if anyone wants to give me a few $$ I'll be more than happy to accept. :D

I'm home on summer break-and having a difficult time finding a job. I live near a lot of office buildings, fast food places, stores. Unfortunantly-I haven't been able to find much work.

I'm somewhat limited to where I can work-because I have no access to a car and bus services are not constant.
Also, I go to school in another state-so I can only promise to work during Summer, January Term and Spring Break.

That being said-if anyone can have any tips for finding jobs, or most importantly-landing jobs-I'll be very appreciative.

When I go in for applications, I dress nicely(black slacks/blouse or nice sweater).

I have a resume completed-and am going to hand it out to a company tommorrow. They don't have any openings right now-but they said I could hand off my resume.

My main problem seems to be that no one is hiring right now.

Thanks for any tips.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Unfortunately, without having reliable transportation, any employer is going to be somewhat worried that you will be able to make it to work on time. Are you trying to find work in a field related to your major or are you open to other jobs? I'd also consider contacting nonprofit groups - they may be able to hire someone for short term periods that would fit a college student.

Good luck, and don't give up! You never know who might say yes
:)

Kara Bear

Final Flight
If there is any form of government near you, try that. The provincial and municiple gov'ts here are big on hiring summer students. As well if there are any universities or colleges nearby, try those as well. I worked at my university one summer and it was a sweeeeeet job. If you keep in contact with any of your profs, maybe you could ask them for suggestions. In fact, one of my profs got me that sweet job.

Another tip, even if you get offered a crappy part time job, take it and keep looking. For one of my universities summers, I had a crappy part-time job and a awesome part time job for the first half of the break. Then in July I got a really good full time job and was able to do that along with my cool part time. And then I told my rotten part time managers to screw off. No, I didn't but I wanted to...man that job sucked. The point is keep looking, you never know what you may find.

I don't know what there is in the states for internet job searcch engines, but here the human resource department of the government runs a job bank that is great! If you could find some good job sites, it could help as well!

Oh, I thought of another tip. If you get any kind of funding for you school, they often want to know how much money you earned in the summer or if you didn't..why not. So its a good idea to keep a list of all the places you applied to.

Good luck

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hear you! I am in the same situation... it's getting to the point that I just may move in with my aunt next month... don't want to, but the city has a lot of jobs that are hiring... *sigh*

Jill

On the Ice
Be persistent! And remember to use proper spelling and grammer. I know this sounds like "DUH!", but you'd be surprised how many people do not know how to construct a sentence correctly.

Also, get out and network. Tell everyone you know that you're out looking and ask for leads.

If worse comes to worse, baby sit, clean houses, anything. Once people see that you're really making an effort, things happen.

Good luck to you!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
lulu:

I "feel" for you! I work for a College, and know the expenses involved. Good for you for job hunting. Where I live - British Columbia (Surrey- part of subburbs of Vancouver) - finding a job at times is like looking for "a needle in a haystack." There are plenty of people in the same boat.

Due to cutbacks, I am barely working myself at the moment. Have you tried joining a "job hunt club" or we have "hire-a-student" groups as well. Sometimes being with people in the same boat keeps one motivated and good ideas start to flow - I have found jobs that way. It also gives you somewhere to go and you can practice job interviewing skills (my downfall).

Also, there is the internet. A lot of jobs these days are "hidden." Remember the more you get your resume out there the better your chances are!

If you are lacking experience another avenue to persue is volunteering to gain some experience. It also looks good on your resume.

Hope these suggetions help. Good luck job hunting!!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
BE A NANNY!!!!!

It is the BEST job for a college student. I have been a nanny for for a few families in austin over the past 4 years and I wouldnt trade that experience for the world. I got paid at least 10 dollars an hour, they compensated me for driving time and I got a meal out of it most days. Many familes will provide you with a vehicle to transport their kids... so not having a car may not be an issue if you can find a family near you that will provide a car to use while taking care of the kids. The best part of my job was that it was tax free, none of the families I sat for ever took the time to claim what they were paying me as an expense, so I got to keep 100% of my paycheck.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Going with what Lad said... if you have extensive computer knowledge you might be able to find a job online and you won't even have to leave your house... it's a shot in the dark but it could work...

Longhornliz

Final Flight
You also might want to look into working at a temp agency. I have had luck with them in previous summer, and I have just started temping again to get some extra cash before the semester starts up again. I work with Adecco which is one of the larger ones, you might want to check out if the have a branch near you. Also, they are really good about providing info on the bus routest to take to each job.

lulu

Final Flight
Thanks everyone! I found a part time job :) (15 hours a week)
I feel relieve just to get some extra $$$$.

the computer idea is really good, I should look into it for next year-my friend did something similar, working with computer search databases.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the job where I work, we work with welfare recipients to find employment. Our instructors use Monster.com a lot and have found very good jobs for our clients. Now the reason I'm telling you this is because it is very difficult to place the welfare people due to lack of education, lack of job experience and criminal backgrounds. Now, see you have it made.

Dee