Where they started to skate | Golden Skate

Where they started to skate

IceAngel2007

Rinkside
Hey do you know where all the famous skaters first learned to skate? what state? and where? just curious....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well... Scott Hamilton started skating at the Bowling Green University rink... and then transfered to the Wagon Wheel, then to the Broadmoor... then to Phillidelphia... now he skates -- I guess -- in LA or Denver depending on where he and his wife are now living...

Kurt Browning started skating on a homemade rink until their small town of Caroline built a rink... it's now named for him

David Pelletier started skating in Sayabec (sp?) and the rink is now named after him (IMHO, it's got the most horrible paint colors LOL)

ok so Kurt and Scott aren't "current famous" ones to the average joe viewer... but still

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well, I can personally attest to the fact that Ken Shelley and JoJo Starbuck, and Tai & Randy started skating at the now deceased Ice Capades Chalet in Santa Monica (I was there in the early 70s taking lessons as well, but to no avail). Debi Thomas's training ground was the Culver City ice rink (which is still going strong). Michelle Kwan got her start at The Olympic Ice Arena (which is now called The Skating Edge) on Western Ave. at the border of Torrance and Harbor City. I believe that Sasha Cohen, Naomi Nari Nam, the Stieglers and Angela Nikodinov are all alumni of the Skate Zone in Huntington Beach.

Nowadays, everyone (Timothy Goebel, Amber Corwin, Yebin Mok, Danielle Kahle etc.) seems to be training at the new Iceoplex chains that suddenly started springing up like weeds at the turn of the century in places like West Hills, Panorama City, El Segundo, and Escondido.

As you can see, there is a literal glutton of rinks in the Los Angeles area, but that's to be expected in a city with a population of 10,000,000. I don't know anything about skaters who aren't from Sourthern California

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Ilia Kulik started to skate on a frozen pond in Moscow and as his parents noticed possible talent (compared to his friends), they took him to a skating school in Moscow.

Last edited:

millyskate

Rinkside
Joubert started and stayed in Poitiers.
Dambier started in Tours.
Sarah Abitbol started in Nantes.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
As you can see, there is a literal glutton of rinks in the Los Angeles area, but that's to be expected in a city with a population of 10,000,000. I don't know anything about skaters who aren't from Sourthern California

I wish it were to be expected here in NYC. A bigger city than LA, but with only one ice rink. Four if you count those that are open-air and close in the Spring.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Idle,

Can you give me the scoop on LA ice rinks? Can people watch practices? Where is the best viewing? I'm moving to LA (the westside) in the fall and would love to do a bit of practice watching (if I have time).

Thanks,
tharrtell

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well tharrtell, your best bet is the Healthsouth Training Center, located at 555 North Nash Street, near LAX. Frank Carroll is the head coach, and Irina Rodnina and Scott Williams also work there. When the place opened in the spring of 2000, Michelle Kwan deliberately purchased a house in Manhattan Beach, just to be conveniently close to it. Since she and both F. Carroll and S. Williams parted ways, however, she mainly now trains in Lake Arrowhead.

The place actually has a balcony where one can view practice sessions, which unfortunately, usually take place when most people are at work (9:00-5:00). The place has three large rinks in one building, although one of them is just for little league hockey. The other two are for occasional hockey, but mostly public sessions and private lessons.

As far as celebritie sightings go, Frank Carroll is almost always there doing something or other (teaching a class or coaching one of his charges, which currently include Yebin Mok and Danielle Kahle). Amber Corwin is also a regular, and if you show up between 1:00 and 3:00, you'll likely catch a glimpse of Timothy Goebel (when he's not touring).

Anyhow, for specific directions and the phone number, click HERE. For a general list of rinks in the Southern California area, click HERE, and then on the little sign on the left that says Rink Locations.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Karen Magnussen learned to skate in North Vancouver, and now has a rink named for her there.

Kurt Browning started skating in his own back yard playing hockey and then changed to figure skating in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta.