Cicadas' Danger To Pets | Golden Skate

Cicadas' Danger To Pets

How time flies! Has it really been 17 years already?

This insect is a good example of the genetic code run amok. You lay dormant for 17 years so you can come out for one day of fun.

Interesting article, 4dog.

Mathman

4dogknight

Final Flight
Thanks Mathman, I thought the article interesting too.

We have the three kids, although at times it sounds like a thundering pack of thousands all baying at the moon at the same time, so I was worried about the 'delicacy' aspect of this phenomenon. I must say I never thought about it before.

I remember in the 70's when living in Illinois, I'd scoot over to the local Forest Preserve and lunch amid the chatter. I was so taken with the animal’s beautiful red eyes.

4dk

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Not sure, haven't checked it out yet but I think this is a hoax. You might want to check it out.

4dogknight

Final Flight
Grgranny - the article is not a hoax. See the URLS from the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) site below.

During the Cicada Season, Watch Out for Pets' Overindulgence Says the HSUS

Take a Lesson from History: Sing a Song for the Cicada

The recent hoax articles re. Swiffer is more of a protest against Proctor & Gamble because of their animal testing policies than for animal welfare.

But you are right to question and research any and all information concerning animal welfare and rights. Would that all people be as diligent as the people on this board.

4dk

JOHIO2

Medalist
YUM!

Ranks right up there with the round of bug recipes.

Seriously, I do remember my dogs having a great time chasing the things for the first few days. And I do remember I kept them in after one ate too many and threw up. Only later did I hear the vet warning. By that time I didn't actually NEED a vet warning! LOL

Those loud bugs can drive your dog as crazy as they drive the people. Another reason doggies stayed indoors -- they didn't bark as much at the bugs.