All time & current favorite skaters | Page 4 | Golden Skate

All time & current favorite skaters

falling_dance

Spectator
all-time favorites

ladies: Kwan, Slutskaya, Asada, Fleming, Arakawa
men: Chan, Curry, Urmanov, Cranston, Takahashi
pairs: Mishkutionok/Dmitriev, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Kovarikova/Novotny, Kazakova/Dmitriev
dance: Virtue/Moir, Grishuk/Platov, Krylova/Ovsiannikov, Bestemianova/Bukin, Davis/White

currently competing favorites

ladies: Tuktamysheva, Wagner, Hongo, Park
men: Abbott, Ten, Hanyu, Fernandez, Kozuka (Chan's not back yet, though I'm very glad that he will be.)
pairs: Kavaguti/Smirnov, Duhamel/Radford
dance: Papadakis/Cizeron, Stepanova/Bukin

Interspectator

Record Breaker
all-time favorites

ladies: Kwan, Slutskaya, Asada, Fleming, Arakawa
men: Chan, Curry, Urmanov, Cranston, Takahashi
pairs: Mishkutionok/Dmitriev, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Kovarikova/Novotny, Kazakova/Dmitriev
dance: Virtue/Moir, Grishuk/Platov, Krylova/Ovsiannikov, Bestemianova/Bukin, Davis/White

currently competing favorites

ladies: Tuktamysheva, Wagner, Hongo, Park
men: Abbott, Ten, Hanyu, Fernandez, Kozuka (Chan's not back yet, though I'm very glad that he will be.)
pairs: Kavaguti/Smirnov, Duhamel/Radford
dance: Papadakis/Cizeron, Stepanova/Bukin

You've been with us for a while...longer than I've been here. Nice first post! Post more! :cheer:

randomfan

Record Breaker
All Time:

Yuna Kim - Amazing skater who is almost always consistent! She has great jumps and artistry.
Mao Asada - Simply a beautiful skater to watch! Lovely 3A and spins and step sequences and performances. I'm hoping she doesn't retire.
Akiko Suzuki - TBH, I think out of Yuna, Mao, Carolina and Akiko, Akiko is the best in performing. Her SS may not be good, but as many people said, she skates with her heart. I think that her 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 programs all deserved 34+ and 71+ in PCS.
Joannie Rochette - Such an inspiring skater. Too bad she retired after the Olympics in 2010 but we'll all remember her as the wonderful skater who won the bronze in Vancouver and dedicated her performance to her mother.
Carolina Kostner - Hearing her upsetting history in the Olympics, I was happy for her at the recent Olympics. Carolina is such a beautiful skater with great qualities and graceful movements.

Current:

Yuzuru Hanyu - I only focus deeply into ladies' singles, but Yuzuru is just so fun to watch. You can call him the male equivalent of Yuna Kim (although Yuna does have more experience).
Yulia Lipnitskaya - Thanks to Yuna Kim, I knew a bit about figure skating after the 2010 Olympics, but it wasn't until mid-2014 when I started to enter the figure skating world. Which is why I didn't care about any skater other than Yuna and Mao, and I also hated Yulia before. But as I delved into her performances, I found out that she had the creativity and flexibility that nobody else could possibly have. I became a fan. Let's hope she has an amazing season!
So Youn Park - I first saw So Youn Park at Worlds and I immediately discovered that she had a lot of potential. I became a fan of hers after just this one event. She has that great jumping ability and nice presentation, so I hope the judges can judge her more fairly on PCS. So Youn is probably the main skater I'm watching next season.
Zijun Li - She is a sweet skater and such a joy to watch. I want to see more of her beautiful skating.
Kanako Murakami - When she skates to fierce programs, she is fierce. When she skates to soft programs, she is soft. Kanako is a skater full of many charms and I hope she gets on that world podium soon!
Ashley Wagner - I saw her a couple of times last season, but it wasn't until this season where I actually watched her as much as I watched So Youn. She became a favourite of mine at the GPF with that amazing FS. She is an amazing performer.

Also, I think Elena Radionova is starting to become one of my favourites now.

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
All time:
Denise Bielmann
Sasha Cohen
Maria Butirskaya
Mao Asada
Plushy in his first part of career
Philipe Candeloro
Stepahe Lambiel
Daisuke Takahashi
Mishkutenok/Kassakova-Dimitriev
Anisina/Peizerat
Grishchuk/ Platov
Krylova/Ovssianicov

Current:

Julia Lipniskaya
Anna Pogorilaya
Daleman, Osmond, Chartrand

Jason Brown
Nam Nguyen
Sergey Voronov
Menshov
Rippon

Lubov Iliushechkina/Moskovitch
Sui/Han

Weaver/Poje
Papadakis/Cizeron

Special place in All time: Laurent Tobel WOW and Emanuel Sandhu
Just check this (the judges were pathetic):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpT8vn4ZzQ

Last edited:

baymax24

Rinkside
All-Time Favorites :cry::
Ladies: Yuna Kim (KOR) and Mao Asada (JPN)
Men: Daisuke Takahashi (JPN)
Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov (RUS)
Dance: Davis/White (USA) and Virtue/Moir (CAN)

Current Favorites :cheer2::
Ladies: Ashley Wagner (USA), Julia Lipnitskaya (RUS), and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (RUS)
Men: Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN)
Pairs: Radford/Duhamel (CAN)
Ice Dance: Papadakis/Cizeron (FRA)

Ones to watch :popcorn::
Ladies: Wakaba Higuchi (JPN)
Men: Shoma Uno (JPN)
Pairs: Seguin/Bilodeau (CAN)
Ice Dance: Hawayek/Baker (USA)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I have to say Michelle Kwan, if only for the nostalgia. I loved watching her growing up.

Yuma Kim and Mao Asada are my most recent favorites. Their rivalry was great in that they were both spectacular.

Also; Akiko Suzuki, Sasha Cohen, and Costner.

Currently I love watching Tuk, Satoko and Wagner.

Too tired to think about the men lol...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
such a great thread :), very nostalgic one for me - I just started to reminisce my first touch with figure skating world circa 2003 when I was 13 and was so impressed by Brian Joubert and Polish pair Dorota Zagórska/Mariusz Siudek, I remember how fascinated I became - about costumes, lifts, cool tricks etc. and how determined I was to get up at night to watch live some competitions in Canada/States...

I am sure I will forget about some skater I admire/like, but here it is:

All time favourites:

- ladies - Yuna Kim and Mao Asada, tbh I never was a die-hard fan of them, but I admire their work ethic, determination, strenght, abilities. Yuna got me always by her polished, honed to perfection performances, also she was not an one-trick pony in terms of music/choreography, I can remeber/recall almost all her programs. Mao OTOH impressed me as a very artistic skater with amazing musicality in her movement; her 3A and constant desire to improve, to introduce difficult elements into her skating is a thing to admire. A special mention goes to Swiss lady Lucinda Ruh - she's in my opinion the greatest spinner of al the time, every time I watch her I am amazed by her speed, positions and seamless transitions;

- men - Brian Joubert, Stephane Lambiel and Daisuke Takahashi without a doubt. Brian's programs hooked me into skating world for good, his charisma, dashing looks, technical abilities were amazing - still rewatching his earlier seasons (like 2003/04 or 2007/08) like crazy. As for Stephane - very artistic programs, great musicality and those spins to die for were things I liked the most. Daisuke is probably the most fav of mine out of these three skaters I mentioned - so complex skater, so united with music every time (either Beethoven or The Beatles), with great interpretation of classic ones (La Strada or iconic Swan Lake)and so hard working and humble in the same time.

- pairs - Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy and Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao are my all time favs. Aliona and Robin - for complexity, for raising the bar technically higher and higher, for being such a great partners, for such diversified programs, for this Pina FD (season 2011/2012) and Nutcracker FD (season 2013/2014) especially. Shen and Zhao - for transmitting their love and affection for each other into their skating, for creating magic in ice, for their return in 2010 and being in such great shape to win OGM, for 2006/2007 season's programs especially (SP to Romanza and FP to Meditation for Thais) - their got me every time I watch them...

- ice dance - for me always Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. They combined artistic and technical content in such amazing way and their programs never failed to impress me. There is so many thing I admire/adore about them - their connection, musicality, detailed execution of programs, their complexity, their technique, their dancing abilities, effortless execution of programs...From their first senior season I knew I watched future World Champs for sure - I remember my amazement about their edge work and seamless transitions therefore comparing to other duos. Special mention for their always great costumes (Tessa's golden dress from latin FD 2010/11, flamenco SD dress and coctail one from Sochi Olys SD individual competion are the best of all times for me) and doing Carmen in 2012/13 season which you can either love or hate (I love this program so much).
Special mention there for: Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon, Margerita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas, Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto, Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat, Natalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat, Isabele Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder as ice dancers I truly enjoyed watching.

Current:

- ladies - Elena Radionova and Satoko Myiahara are my current ladies favourites. they are both hard workers, determined and have great abilities to work with.

- men - Shoma Uno, Nam Nguyen, Jason Brown, Joshua Farris - I am very interested (as they are vey young ones) what course their skating will take - they have big potential and determination. Of course I enjoy also big guns - Yuzuru and Javier, but at this moment probably my most fav male skate will be Denis Ten - his showman's abilities, insane musicality and effortless technique makes me amazed every time I watch him skating.

- pairs - Sui and Han will be the ones - their intensity is insane and she's such a cute diva :), I'm glad they overcame problems, took their lessons from all critique received and showed their finest. Special mention for Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov - also for that intense aura about them and going big or going home attitude presented every time.

- ice dance - Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje, Sara Hurtado and Adria Diaz, Shibutanis, Alexandra Paul and Michell Islam are duos I very much enjoy watching nowadays due to different things - musicality, connection, some great ideas/programs, costumes, master elements (those twizzles by Shibutanis...always WOW factor)...The French duo Papadakis/Cizeron of course is also there - they totally got me as a fan since their junior apperances as they were such a fresh, innovative duo, then last season totally shocked me in some way - programs were amazingly fitted for them, especially Mozart FD which was magic itself.
Special mention for Anna Yanovskaya/Sergiey Mozgov - I'm so curious about them I don't even know why (I'm not a russian ice dancers fan at all tbh...), something draws me to them. For sure - they look amazing together, have good tech basics and some fine energy going between them.

gotoschool

Medalist
All time favorites:

Mao Asada the most: supreme elegance, picturesque posture, prima ballerina spins and spirals with dramatic expressions, beautiful light and quick symmetrical revolutions with delayed rotations in her jumps, athletic and rhythmic step sequences. For me, she also covers the full spectrum of emotion: alternatively charming, dramatic, joyous, melancholic, heart breaking and redemptive, a fighter who challenges the difficult elements and perseveres through hardship. She hits the emotional bull's eye and floods my tear ducts.

Kristi Yamaguchi - fluid musicality, wonderful lines, extensions and stretches, surprising speed for her size and type of skating, every move elegant and beautiful, aesthetically pleasing jumps, mesmerizing moves and really nice positions in spirals and spins held the right length of time

Midori Ito- heart and emotion, huge jumps that are still aesthetically pleasing, the fighter spirit, surprisingly good spins positions for a power skater, incredible speed, a natural performer

Lu Chen - a beautifully artistic skater. Her performance of Butterfly Lovers at the 1998 Olympics hits my emotions every time,

Sasha Cohen (not so much her jumps but her spirals, spins and expression are truly beautiful and natural).

New skaters: Evgenia Medvedeva - wonderful musicality and expression and beautifully symmetrical air position in jumps with nice posture and the best looking tanos I have seen, picturesque and flexible spins

Wakaba Higuchi- really beautiful, big and fluid jumps with symmetrical and fast revolutions and really nice posture, fantastic skating skills.

Marin Honda- elegant, musical, beautiful knee bends in jumps and picturesque Biellmann, natural and marvelous expression. I like the nickname mini Mao (it's a big compliment), but I don't think it shows enough appreciation for her own style of skating.

Maria Sotskova - sophisticated, expressive, marvelous layback into a Biellmann spin, nice 3Lz combo, willing to try innovative choreography and incorporate styles from many different skaters.

I don't watch men as much, but I liked performances by
Yuzuru Hanyu , Plushenko, Daisuke Takahashi, and Patrick Chan. I also liked Javiar's fight in landing quads in the Worlds 2015 LP and Rudy Galindo's win at home in San Jose to win the National Championship with Swan Lake to name a few.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
All-time favorite skaters:
Ladies
Kristi Yamaguchi
Chen Lu
Michelle Kwan
Alissa Czisny

Men
Brian Boitano
Kurt Browning
Paul Wylie
Stephane Lambiel
Daisuke Takahashi

Pairs
Tai Babilonia/Randy Gardner
Ekaterina Gordeeva/Sergei Grinkov
Shen Xue/Zhao Hongbo

Dance
Marina Anissina/Gwendal Peizerat
Margarita Drobiazko/Povilas Vanagas
Sinead Kerr/John Kerr
Meryl Davis/Charlie White

Current favorite skaters:
Ladies
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Mao Asada

Men
Denis Ten
Jason Brown
Joshua Farris
Javier Fernandez
Misha Ge

Pairs
Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov
Yu Xiaoyu/Jin Yang
Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford

Dance
Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje
Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
ENTREES IN A MOVEABLE FEAST

All-Time Favorite Skaters

Ladies

Laurence Owen
Peggy Fleming
Janet Lynn

Men

Richard Button
Toller Cranston

Pairs

Ludmila Belusova and Oleg Protopopov

Current Favorites

Ladies

Polina Edmunds
Julia Lipnipskaya
Mariah Bell

Men

Jason Brown

Dance

Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ENTREES IN A MOVEABLE FEAST

All-Time Favorite Skaters

Ladies

Laurence Owen
Peggy Fleming
Janet Lynn

Men

Richard Button
Toller Cranston

Pairs

Ludmila Belusova and Oleg Protopopov

Current Favorites

Ladies

Polina Edmunds
Julia Lipnipskaya
Mariah Bell

Men

Jason Brown

Dance

Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker

Thank you for honoring true golden oldies, including Mr. Button and Laurence Owen, neither of whom I ever saw skate. (And leading me to read again about that horrific plane crash, which occurred when I was a child. Yes, I was a child once;) What a tragedy for skating, even 55 years later!)

adelia

Record Breaker
I only started watching skating in the 90s so I don't know about that many skaters who competed before that.

Only 1 list because I'm picky and if I like a skater, I follow them for the rest of their competitive careers. And it's tough to do that for too many.

Favourites: Kulik, Plushenko, Slutskaya (after she changed her style), Sasha Cohen, Alexander Petrov, Alisa Fedichkina.

TartanSk8ter01

Rinkside
All-time

Michelle Kwan
Akiko Suzuki
Alissa Czisny

Kurt Browning
Toller Cranston
Stephan Lambiel
Brian Joubert:p

Gordeeva/Grinkov
Underhill/Martini