Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "SC's season of change" article on USFSA

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    Lovely article. I'm glad to see Sasha hanging out with lots of the younger girl American skaters like Jenny Kirk who all have one goal: chasing after Michelle.

Asian girls were perceived by teachers, whether they taught them or not, as demure, humble, mysterious, most intelligent of all the groups, and "good at playing the violin"
    Hahhahaahaha nice stereotype by those teachers but so wrong to me. I'm Asian, I'm a girl, not exactly demured (or not demured at all!) or humble, sometimes mysterious, SO NOT INTELLIGENT if you're talking math and science, and I can't play the violin or any other instrument for s--t!!!

Originally posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    OT:
    Harry Potter is better than you think...seriously...don't look at me that way...
    I actually love Harry Potter books, I certainly read them all. I do absolutely agree that the books are much better than the movies. Having said that, I just don't think a mature adult well-read person is likely to have that as the #1 on his/her list.

Dizzy quote:

Joesitz,

"I prefer to hear something like Yags answered once, that he has to work to win because there is Plush, Tim and Takeshi, (and he had beaten all of them before)."

After reading your post, I wonder why you want figureskaters to fit into your set ideal. If figureskaters were all the same, what a boring sport it would become. Do you really think Yag's statement makes him seem humble?
    Unquote
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dizzy - C'mon You should know by now that I dig figure skating in all its diversities. I enjoy skaters whether they are lyrical or bravura. For someone who likes Klimkin and Lambiel as much as I do has to show that he likes all styles. But that's not what I was writing about. Although not an avid fan of Sasha, I do like her and I like her style of skating. That being said......

I wrote about the change I perceived in her from her return to skating in 2001, where I saw a very feisty young lady determined to execute a quad, and how she began to mature after being with TT. What I perceived as change was a much improved skater. I am indeed all for change. I think change can be the right way to go.

As for Yags. Yes, the statement he made showed good sportsmanship, but if he didn't mean what he said then that is something else, but I prefer what he said. It's good PR.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 05-20-2004 at 07:14 PM.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ptichka
    I actually love Harry Potter books, I certainly read them all. I do absolutely agree that the books are much better than the movies. Having said that, I just don't think a mature adult well-read person is likely to have that as the #1 on his/her list.
    I understand what you're saying. It's not my number one favorite either, but it's in my top 3 .
    Maybe Sasha is like me and sometimes seperates favorites from best.

Custom Title
    I think from the beginning to the time of winning a major title e.g. world or olympics, skating is a hobby to all the skaters. IMO, skating had never been a full time career for Sarah, she was a full time student before and after she won the OGM. Skating was a hobby for Michelle from the first time she laced up to the first world gold. Skating was a hobby for Lipinski from the first time she laced up a pair of skates to the OGM. IIRC even though Tara wanted to be a great champion at 3 years old, she was undecided about going through the ice skating route or the roller skating route. After she chose the ice path at 13 (with help of her mother), it took her one year to be world champ, and 2 years to be OGM. Quite an amazingly talented young lady.

hockey fan

brilliant recorder player who won the New Jersey Symphony Young Artist's contest, IIRC sometime in the 80's, at the tender age of about 14. At the time he didn't know if he'd continue to focus on music or pursue a career as a software developer. Too many choices!
    Hmm.. do you know this recorder player? Just curious winning the NJS young artists contest is about the equivalent of winning what kind of award? Somewhere between the Tchaikovsky internationl competition and the local HS talent award?

I am glad talented young people have choices. An example off the top of my head is Olympic gold and silver medalist Amy Chow (since we are encouraged to think about ethnicity difference and perception here). She has enough talent to choose to represent USA at 96 olympics at either gym or diving, she is talented enough to pursue a career as a pianist, and she wanted to be a pediatrician. She has amazing mental toughness (remember the 96 Olympic trial, she fell off the beam and hit her eye, and got back on the beam immediately to finish the routine and qualified to be a member of mag 7?) Quite an impressive young lady, I won't say she is a genius at any of the above. The only people that do not have a choice I imagine would be e.g. athletes who live in a rather restricted environment. I believe even if Xue has enough brain power and interest to be a Nobel winner in physiology, she might not have the choice if her federation and govt decide that she should be a skater. Then people who are genius may not have much of a choice either, I am not talking about slightly above average or above average talent. Imagine if Mozart was interested to be a lawyer instead of a composer? I don't think he would be allowed to choose a different path. I don't think he would allow himself to choose a different path.
    Last edited by rtureck; 05-21-2004 at 07:13 PM.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Originally posted by hockeyfan228
    I've always thought that was because Cohen has a lot of other interests and spoke of wanting to have a career in choreography and costume/clothing design.
    Strange. I've always thought of Cohen as very focused in skating and hasn't had much of an academic education. As for her other "interests", I doubt they are big enough to stimulate a career...
    Last edited by shine; 05-21-2004 at 01:39 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    Strange. I've always thought of Cohen as very focused in skating and hasn't had much of an academic education. As for her other "interests", I doubt they are big enough to stimulate a career...
    Cohen was a straight A student, and received a presidential award for academic excellence in 1999.

Custom Woman
    What a lot of great, interesting responses! Mathman, although I somewhat agree with you that for many/most people, my challenge is "impossible," and that your statement, "I think that the feelings we have about race, with which we pre-judge everyone we meet, are so deeply ingrained that we can't really play the what-if game with honesty" has a great deal of truth in it, I think it's worth it for those who are interested to ask themselves, "Would I feel different about certain skaters is they were a different race and/or nationality?" I think if we are able to at least try to be honest with ourselves about these issues, we gain something, if only for ourselves and if only temporarily. IMO, however, the only way to really face our prejudices is when we have to live and/or work with many other races.

To add my butt in that boiling water, I've been taking my own challenge and yes, I do believe I would see skaters differently if they were of a different race and/or nationality. For example, if Yoshie Onda, whom I love, were American, I think my perception of her would have less of the general perception "Asians work hard and say little" and more of "Another American jumping bean who just won't listen to her coach about presentation because she thinks jumps are the ticket to victory."

I won't go on with examples because, as I said, I feel this is something people need only ask themselves. Also, I'm sure I would offend somebody, if not many!

But rather than end on that note, I do hope people will ask themselves about why they feel the way they do about certain skaters and whether their race, ethnicity, or nationality affects it. I know Irina was the GS whipping skater until she got sick--remember about two and a half years ago the "Cohen, Lipinski, Slutskaya" fans, ie CLS, who were "constantly" attacking Michelle? Yeah, ha ha, that's so true, ha ha! God forbid someone be a fan of any or all of those three (all Caucasian) AND Michelle. The question really comes down to "What makes people hate a skater?" Is it really just the skater's behavior, which as others have pointed out, we only get glimpses of through the media? Or are there presumptions about race etc. that affect how we feel? I think it's an important question to ask ourselves. Nobody is going to like every skater, just as we don't like all people. But are we missing the enjoyment of a skater because of irrational prejudices that have nothing to do with who that skater really is? Do we put too much emphasis on "lady" skaters--as Pitchka noted, the very moniker "lady" says so much--being sweet and demure? Do we see the ones we like as sweet and demure if they are Asian whether they are or not? Do we see Caucasian skaters from certain countries as "robotic," smug, or aggressive when they are no different, essentially, from Asian skaters?

Finally, to touch upon a few more general notes from the documentaries and articles of recent weeks, there is a group of Asian American women in Chicago who have formed a jazz quintet because they were so tired of the preconceived ideas of many/most that all Asian women "are good at playing the violin." These women are playing be-bop on bass, piano, sax, trumpet, and drums. Just an interesting anecdote of what some people are doing to address the racism that has been knitted into the fabric of our culture.
    Rgirl

PS On the crucial "Harry Potter" issue: Sasha is 19. Anybody at 19 is not what I would call a "mature adult." IIRC, when Michelle was promoting reading and was about 19 or 20, she listed a "children's/young adult" book as being her favorite (sorry, can't recall the title). But, hmm, interesting that nobody on GS critisized Michelle for her choice. There are some Judy Blume books that I think explore more mature issues and are better written than any book, fiction or nonfiction, on the current New York Times Bestseller list. I think VIETgrlTerifa stated why "Harry Potter" is much more than some kid's book, for example, "Goodnight, Moon." For me, Sasha's choice shows that she still embraces the imaginative and magical, but also appreciates a book with some serious issues and the structure of a "real book." I say, "Good choice."

Can you imagine how a 19-year-old Rgirl, had she been a world level skater (in some alternative universe) had been asked what her favorite book was and said, "Lolita"? Yeah, I'd be REAL popular
    Last edited by Rgirl; 05-21-2004 at 08:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by registered
    Cohen have stated in the numerous interviews, that she wasn't 100% into skating prior to switching to Tarasova. She said that she perceived her training and competing as mostly "fun" activity, and even thought of quitting the amateur scene, if she'd capture the Olympic gold in 2002. Only after World championship 02 she made a decision to look for better coaching and training conditions, and changed her attitude towards skating from favorite hobby, to a full time career.

Is this the same Sasha Cohen that was interviewed just before Olympics '02 and stated she was going to pull a Lipinski? Her plan was to go in, win the gold, and retire?
    The same Cohen that was hell bent on competing at Nationals '01, even with a back injury?
    If that's not serious about skating, I really dont know what it is.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Originally posted by registered
    Cohen was a straight A student, and received a presidential award for academic excellence in 1999.
    Hmm 1999? Is that supposed to mean a lot?
    Last edited by shine; 05-21-2004 at 10:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    Hmm 1999? Is that supposed to mean a lot?
    Except for answering your question about Cohen's academic education, probably not much.

Just a reminder that unsubstantiated remarks about prejudices and the use of steretyping is not what dialog is all about, and should be avoided on any Board and especially Golden Skate.

Sensitivity to a favorite skater can bring rash respnses to a perceived 'put down' where none was intended.

Sasha Cohen, a formidable skater, imo, has changed over the years and for the better not unlike many other skaters.

oesitz

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    Just a reminder that unsubstantiated remarks about prejudices and the use of steretyping is not what dialog is all about, and should be avoided on any Board and especially Golden Skate.
    Just a question: Has anybody made unsubstantiated remarks about prejudices and the use to stereotyping on this thread? If so where?

I'm not questioning your statement, I'm just wondering if your statement is a reminder that posters shouldn't do it or if it's about remarks people have already made on this thread? Just trying to clarify.
    Rgirl

Rinkside

Question

Sasha said about MK

"...Skaters come and go, but she has always been there. She was there when I was 6, and she's there now..."

When Sasha was 6, Michelle was, what, 10, 11? Was Michelle already famous at 10? Michelle was "there" in the sense that she was alive and learning to skate, but was she somebody Sasha would have known about? She wasn't even with Frank then, was she?

Originally posted by VIETgrlTerifa

I know they look childish and non-stimulating for adults, but, believe me, JK Rowling has an excellent (if at times sloppy) style of writing that really pulls you in and gets you involved.
    yet another reason why I'm glad I never was forced (which many high school classes here are now) to read the stupid books... sloppy writing annoys me... editors should catch mistakes, and writers should PROOF READ SEVERAL TIMES.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast