Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "SC's season of change" article on USFSA

Custom Title

Re: Question

Originally posted by XPEG
    Sasha said about MK

"...Skaters come and go, but she has always been there. She was there when I was 6, and she's there now..."

When Sasha was 6, Michelle was, what, 10, 11? Was Michelle already famous at 10? Michelle was "there" in the sense that she was alive and learning to skate, but was she somebody Sasha would have known about? She wasn't even with Frank then, was she?

Yes, she could have very well known of Michelle and her skating before Michelle even made it out of a local club competition. They're both from Southern California-right? And lot of the skaters-even at the lower levels-juvenile etc know of other skaters from the regions from hearing about them from other club parents/skaters or from seeing them at local competitions.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Originally posted by registered
    Except for answering your question about Cohen's academic education, probably not much.
    But I don't see how it is meaning a lot in responding to my academic education question either...

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    But I don't see how it is meaning a lot in responding to my academic education question either...
    Could you then provide an example on how else one could have answer your question on Cohen's academic progress (to your satisfaction)?

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tonichelle
    yet another reason why I'm glad I never was forced (which many high school classes here are now) to read the stupid books... sloppy writing annoys me... editors should catch mistakes, and writers should PROOF READ SEVERAL TIMES.
    Sorry off topic again...but Yes, I agree with that. There are some things that are might be annoying in the books, small mistakes, but you really don't care after reading the books...it's only when you analyze the book really close is when you catch these (what we HP fans call "flints").

I think the reason why JK makes some of these small mistakes is that she has the whole 7 part series developed and written down on endless notes, so she's always trying to figure out how to put things in that will be important in the next installment, and what was important in the last book that needs to be addressed in the current one, etc. Not really an excuse, but I think thats why she has some of these little mistakes...which is most likely a result of paying so much attention to detail.

P.S. I'm happy you didn't have to read it in school, but the HP books (any book) is better when you want to read them rather being forced to.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    “I learned that I can no longer be this pretty, delicate girl gliding across the ice,” she said. “Women's figure skating is focusing less on the artistic presentation and more on the technical. If I want to compete and win I have to focus more on difficult moves. I've got to practice a quadruple jump. Every day Robin makes me stronger.”
    This is not particular to Sasha, all skaters do it, but sometimes I just have to at the way they try to pass off pat answers as something meaningful, or even true.

She was attempting the quad and the 3z/3t in her LPs 2 years ago. Why is this suddenly some new revelation expalining how she has changed this past season? Mark my words, she'll show up next year with the same tech content she's always had. She's been attempting 7 triple LPs since she came on the senior scene. “I learned that I can no longer be this pretty, delicate girl gliding across the ice,” my foot!

MK is no better. She's been using the "I know that I need to up the tech ante" line for almost a decade now! If you have nothing of interest to say but pat prescripted generic answers, stop doing so many interviews! JMHO.

Custom Title
    Well, she isn't going to morph into a Miki Ando any day soon! Personally, I don't think she has the physical power to pull off a quad.

She hasn't even been able to do a clean 7-triple FS without making some sort of mistake. When she was trying 3/3s and 3/3 combinations, back in the 2002-2003 season, she was never able to land them successfully in competition, even though she often could pull them off in practice.

There was no way that Sasha was going to win Worlds this season because it simply was Shizuka's night. She isn't going to out-power the Japanese girls, and she'd be better off trying to figure out how to win using her own unique talents.

Originally posted by Tonichelle
    yet another reason why I'm glad I never was forced (which many high school classes here are now) to read the stupid books... sloppy writing annoys me... editors should catch mistakes, and writers should PROOF READ SEVERAL TIMES.
    Hmmmm, that would exclude such writers as Dostoevsky and Steinbeck. Dostoevsky in one of his works (I don't remember where) wrote "A square table of an oval shape". Steinbeck in "Winter of Our Discontent" (my favorite of his works) has the female character have green eyes in one place, and brown in another. Would you rather not read them?

Originally posted by euterpe

She hasn't even been able to do a clean 7-triple FS without making some sort of mistake.
    What about at this year's spring cheesefest?

Originally posted by euterpe

When she was trying 3/3s and 3/3 combinations, back in the 2002-2003 season, she was never able to land them successfully in competition.
    She did at 2003 Worlds LP.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ogre Mage
    She did at 2003 Worlds LP. [/B]
    IIRC, Sasha did not do a 3/3 at Worlds LP. Awakawa did, but not Sasha.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I think Sasha did do a 3/3 at 2003 Worlds. Maybe you're thinking of 2004 Worlds.

Custom Title
    She didn't attempt any 3-3 in Dortmund, but she landed a clean 3lutz-3toe in her Rachmaninoff program at Worlds in DC.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    I think Sasha did do a 3/3 at 2003 Worlds. Maybe you're thinking of 2004 Worlds. [/QUOTE

You're right, I was thinkg if Dortmund, not DC (Sorry, my bad)

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Thanks for the great article! I noticed Sasha says she is "working on the quad" in order to compete with the other ladies in the field because there is "more emphasis on the technical than the artistic skating." I hope Sasha does not sacrifice her beautiful artistic edge quality for the sake of a quad. Personally, I would rather watch her graceful flow anyday over an extra turn in the air.

Custom Title
    Sasha did do a 3Z/3T in her FS at Worlds 2003, but immediately after that, she collapsed on a spin and fell on a 3T. I think she got so excited about landing the 3/3 that she totally lost concentration. She attempted no 3/3s in her 2003-2004 programs.

Sasha did have a clean skate at the spring cheesefest, but inexplicably couldn't do it at Nationals or Worlds. Somehow, the pressure in the major competitions gets to her and inhibits her performance.

[i] Sasha did have a clean skate at the spring cheesefest, but inexplicably couldn't do it at Nationals or Worlds. Somehow, the pressure in the major competitions gets to her and inhibits her performance. [/B]
    She did have an exceptionally fine Quali Round in Dortmund.

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast