On the Ice
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

I'll always love you Jazzy!! Well here goes my voting next week for DD...

brenlynn

On the Ice
not a big surprise, still sad to see her go. she's been one of my favorites since the start.

best of luck to diana next week, she'll be getting my votes now!

Lotta

On the Ice
She was my fave from the start, too!! Her, Camille, John, and Michael Keown (but the poor guy wasn't in top 12 *SOB*)

I'll guess you and I will start blocking the phone lines with busy signals courtesy of our immense voting for DD. ;)

It won't be Fantasia and LaToya or Fantasia and Jennifer facing off (I would have been happy with any two of the "Three Divas"), but for those who think Diana and Fantasia are comparable vocally and in terms of performance, it will certainly be a face-off of two VERY different styles.

It was nice to see that Jasmine got the total Kahuna treatment in Hawaii. I mean, the governor of Hawaii making it Jasmine Trias Day! No wonder two weeks ago she got 1.3 million votes from Hawaii, which has a population of 1.2 million--and 5 million calls tried to get through. Too bad she couldn't have done Elton John's "Island Girl" as her tribute song, but "Inseparable" was her best song, IMO, and really suited her voice. Oddly, though, in comparing this with my tape of the first time she sang it, she had more pitch problems tonight. I'd have to listen to all Jasmine's performances in chronological order to see if this actually happened or if I'm just imagining it, but it seems as if her problems with pitch got worse as the weeks went on. As others have noted, she usually or at least often hits the big notes on key; it's the lyrics in between she would have trouble with. Maybe it was vocal fatigue? (I'm asking). But it seems that would affect her big notes. Do girls' voices change with puberty? I know, at 16 she was probably well past the age of menarche, but just getting your period doesn't mean "Puberty, out."

Rgal, I know you stopped watching, but in terms of singing in general, can you give my enquiring mind some help? Others who have taught singing are of course welcome to answer. As Henry Higgins might say, "Why did Jasmine have so many problems with pitch?"

And talk about contrasting styles, how about Honolulu compared to Fantasia's return to her home town of High Point, North Carolina! That is DEEP FRIED SOUTHERN SMALL TOWN LIVING, which is what they will be renaming MARTHA STEWART'S LIVING.;) Not too many town like that left, where a manufacturing industry like furniture making is virtually the entire economy of the town.

Another difference was that Fantasia was the only one of the three finalists who did not have a high school where she could make a "triumphant return." Good for her for telling the assembly at her former elementary school, "Stay in school and do your work." The question I wonder about is: Will America allow an unwed mother who got pregnant at 15 or 16 be its "American Idol"? It doesn't matter to this American, but I know it matters to a lot of others.

Diana's visit home was almost as swanky as Jasmine's, and boy, did Diana's accent come back thick when she got home, lol--which is not a diss, in case anybody might think so. Having been home with a lot of people who grew up with strong regional accents, it's as if all they have to do is breathe the air and the accent is in it.

I liked the Australian Idol, Guy Sebastian--beautiful pop tenor voice and definitely his own man. I wish we could hear more of the other "world" idols. The first World Idol winner, who is from Finland, IIRC (or is it the Netherlands?), has a gorgeous voice and I haven't heard anything about him. I'd love to see a special of all the past and current AI winners and successful non-winners, ie, Clay Aiken, Kim Locke, Tamyra Grey. Anybody know when the original British version of Idol, whatever it's called, first started? I must agree with Clive Davis that pop music, though I'm not a fan of the overall genre--except pure Detroit Motown, was dead by the early '90s and that the popularity of "Idol" has had a lot to do with reviving it.

Verrry interrresting that Tamyra Grey has co-written the song that both Diana and Fantasia will be singing as at least one song in the final and then that will be the song the winner will release as her first single. I remember some people saying that Tamyra would probably get a better deal having been kicked off too early than had she made it to the final two, even had she won. They may have been right. For somebody who hasn't been pounding the club and small venue scene for years, singing her own songs (I wonder if she writes music and lyrics or just lyrics?) releasing her first album as entirely self-written is very unusual these days in pop. It's what hip-hop is all about, but not pop. I liked her first song, "Star," but thought her second song, "Rain on Your Face" was just so-so. Tamyra was virtually a pro during AI-1, but you can really see how the experience she's had over the last two years, and no doubt a lot of hard work, has improved everything about her singing and performance. It's definitely taking a chance writing all your own songs, but more power to her. If she can carry it off, she'll have ALL the money. And more importantly (okay, all the money is very important, lol), creative control.

I saw an interview with LaToya London on the l0pm NY Fox News. They did the interview walking along the street and a lot of people stopped her and said, "You wuz wobbed!" LaToya said she's not at all unhappy with not making it to the final because she achieved her goal, which was to get herself seen and heard by millions of people, including producers. She said she's actually more interested in acting, which I thought was interesting since I felt the only weak thing about her singing was her inability to emotionally tell the story of the song and connect with the audience, which involves acting. LaToya also said she thinks that by not winning AI she'll have more control over her career and be able to do a greater variety of entertainment work. The last thing she said is that she plans to release her first album at the beginning of next year.

I just hope Jennifer is able to put her momentum to good use. I thought she was really on the right track and improving every week when she was voted off. But I don't think she or the people around her know how to work the business. Hopefully, going on the AI tour will help her learn how to do that.

But for my own selfish reasons, I still wish we could have had a final three show with Fantasia, Jennifer, and LaToya. Ah, well. Time to move on...
Rgirl

lavender

Record Breaker
Will America allow an unwed mother who got pregnant at 15 or 16 be its "American Idol"? It doesn't matter to this American, but I know it matters to a lot of others.

Fantasia isn't going to win. I read somewhere that people were saying anyone but Fantasia because she had a kid out of wedlock and she's black. Just sad what hatred can do.

I think Fantasia would need a miracle which I hope she gets.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
but it seems as if her problems with pitch got worse as the weeks went on. As others have noted, she usually or at least often hits the big notes on key; it's the lyrics in between she would have trouble with. Maybe it was vocal fatigue?

She has what dad calls the "Ruben Vocal Syndrome" as time goes on and pressure builds... you want to win so you try and "outsing" with those huge power notes and end up straining your voice... last year Ruben's voice was so bad by the finale it was painful. just my thought on that...

I haven't heard the excuses for not voting for Fantasia because of her child or her color... but it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few out there who were like that. I don't think this country as a whole has the problem that a select few do. Last year people voted for Ruben over Clay because Clay was a church boy (which always confused me because so was Ruben)... a lot of people just don't like a contestant and make any excuse NOT to vote. (and yes I do like mentioning Clay in just about every AI post ;))

Like Paula said the other night... Fantasia DOES NOT NEED THIS COMPETITION ANYMORE... neither does LaToya or Jennifer... or IMHO George...

As for Diana vs Fantasia... I don't like either personality... however IF I were to vote (and I might) I might vote for.... *drum roll and please catch the fainters* Fantasia. She deserves it... I guess... and I couldn't stand the whole cutesy Diana acceptance... Fantasia keeps it real... Diana has the whole "barbie" personality going on as she's cute, pretty, cutesy, has the right answers" whatever :p

I was soooooooo sure Fantasia was going home last night, good to know I'm finally wrong! :laugh:

Jill

On the Ice
They're both good, but I don't particularly care for either one. Of the two, I guess Fantasia gets on my nerves just a wee bit more than Diana, and not because she has a kid. Maybe because she is one of those broads that named her kid a God-awful name. Add the redundant "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahs" to the end of every bloody song that she has ever sang.

I guess I'll vote for Diana, even if Fantasia really blows me away, just for those reasons.

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Ruben won over Clay because there were enough people who thought Clay was gay. I personally wouldn't care if Clay was gay or not since he's still good singer. I liked both.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
and I thought that idea had been put to rest... :laugh:

I doubt highly the gay factor played THAT much of a difference... by the finale anyway... I still stand by my feelings that Clay fans were the reason he lost... we overloaded his line :laugh: that and I didn't vote for the full 3 hours :(

On a really off note... I just found out what George Huff's middle name is: Clayton!!!! LOL... I have too much time on my hands!

guinevere

Final Flight
Wow, did they really need a whole hour for that? Yeesh.

Tamyra Gray, IMO the most talented singer AND performer to ever be in American Idol, was a joy to have on the show, BUT:
- What the heck was she wearing during the first song? :eek:
- The first song "Star" was a little lame - but maybe I was distracted because they weren't showing her, just clips of this year's finalists.

I was glad to hear her sing "Raindrops Will Fall" (otherwise known as 'The Kitchen Sink Song' because she throws so many vocal tricks into it) again. Hearing Tamyra sing this challenging song made this whole season pale in comparison.

I'm dismayed to hear that she co-wrote "the single" for the winner, though. Not that she isn't a good songwriter, but one of the things I really liked last season was that no one tried to make Clay and Ruben sing the same generic song - their final performances included songs that sounded like they were made for each singer individually. And hearing that the single will be about "the roller coaster ride that is AI" or whatever Tamyra said ensures that the song will just be god-awful.

Take Guy Sebastian's single, for example - he's got a very nice voice, but that song is the pits. I wish we'd gotten to see him cover Beyonce's song - that looked great from the clip we were shown!

While I'm at it, no offence to Guy, but if we're getting worldly here, why don't they invite the fabulous World Idol Kurt Nilson? Maybe the producers are still mad that he beat Kelly (definitively!), but I would love to see him perform. Maybe they'll bring him next week? pleez?

And finally, is it just me, or did Jasmine definitely know she was going? Her funeral video showed her saying something like "it's like catching a great wave - I didn't make it all the way to the beach, but it was still a great ride", implying she knew she was eliminated. Also, her goodbye song wasn't one of the songs from Tuesday.

Diana's home tour: a 16 year old with a waterbed (with leopard-print blankets)? um..... "tacky" is the nicest thing I can think of to say about that.

I'm still not that excited for next week, because I don't see it as an even final at all, but I will be tuning in to see Fantasia kick butt. And the next night, to see Diana win :rolleye:

guinevere

Lotta

On the Ice
And finally, is it just me, or did Jasmine definitely know she was going?

I think she knew. From her reaction, she didn't sob or anything like that. I think she knew she wanted to go home and not get any more s--t from the judges about her singing... or perhaps the voting. I will buy her CD though, when it comes out! :)

The question I wonder about is: Will America allow an unwed mother who got pregnant at 15 or 16 be its "American Idol"? It doesn't matter to this American, but I know it matters to a lot of others.

Not everyone's perfect, though. Sure people want to set good examples for the young'uns, but they gotta know everyone makes mistakes. EVERYONE. You, me, and the rest. The title "American Idol" is not... well.. not exactly what you do behind the stage, but I think... it's all about the voice. The singing voice. Fantasia made some wrong things like gettin' a baby at 15 or 16, but look. She's going good in life, and not complaining. And of course she's gonna get a job like singing to support her and her boyfriend and her kid. Why does anyone care about her past mistakes, anyway? The past is the past. Let's look at the future.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
If artists were excluded because of sexual orientation, morality, and the like we would all be enjoying the music of....Pat Boone?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
- What the heck was she wearing during the first song?

Yeah I noticed that too... really tacky IMHO... it was basically a female version of the loin cloth if you get my meaning :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny my Mom does too. I don't have as much trouble with Pat as I do with him producing a child that recorded "You Light Up My Life".....where is that barf emoticon?????:D

Can you imagine an AI show where the songs would be "YLUML", "Feelings"....it's just too awful to even think about!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just because you've said all that Piel... AI will be cursed and will have a Pat Boone themed night ;)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Piel said:
If artists were excluded because of sexual orientation, morality, and the like we would all be enjoying the music of....Pat Boone?

The horror...the horror...