2015-16 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Lightspear

Rinkside
I will clearly miss him. I reallly enjoyed his skating style and watching him perform. He was a real class act and would do whatever he could to help his fellow skaters as well, whether his direct competition of not. Bets of luck in all you do Stephen!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Scores from last month's Santa Fe SkateFest finally have been published:

Senior Men (6)
FP Name Points SP
1 Vincent Zhou, All Year FSC 65.62 1
2 Jamie Wright, Foreign skater 60.67 2
3 Lukas Kaugars, Broadmoor SC 59.97 3
4 Chase Belmontes, Broadmoor SC 55.85 4

Senior Men (30)
FP Name Points FS
1 Vincent Zhou, All Year FSC 137.46 1
2 Chase Belmontes, Broadmoor SC 112.12 2

http://santafeskatingclub.org/Downloads/2015 SkateFest-IJS results.pdf

By the way, out of curiosity, why was the general Retirements thread locked? I thought it was pretty practical to have?

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?54933-Retirements-Going-Into-2015-16-Season

Thanks to LRK and the mods for getting the Retirements thread unlocked :).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know everyone else will be focusing on Zhou (and it's great he's back), but I'm more excited to see Lukas Kaugars back. I missed my happy little doctor this year!

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
137 at the start of the summer ain't too bad for a what, 14 year old? I'm excited to see Vincent go up against Nathan Chen and Andrew Torgashev in the coming years.

Celine

On the Ice
If Lukas ever decided to pursue pairs, I bet there would be quite a queue to audition to be his partner

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Lukas ever decided to pursue pairs, I bet there would be quite a queue to audition to be his partner

He's quite tall and broad, he could probably make a decent pairs skater. But he's also pre-med at college and seems pretty serious about his studies, so I doubt they'd get a division switch out of him.

Celine

On the Ice
He's quite tall and broad, he could probably make a decent pairs skater. But he's also pre-med at college and seems pretty serious about his studies, so I doubt they'd get a division switch out of him.

I also say it partly because he's obviously very talented and quite charismatic. During the 2014 Nationals his performance (a strong one) was broadcast, and I distinctly recall thinking that once again, depth of talent, that it would be a shame if he didn't get to experience as much international exposure as a senior competitor. Relatively speaking the opportunities seem greater in pairs, and he seems equipped to make the transition if he chose.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also say it partly because he's obviously very talented and quite charismatic. During the 2014 Nationals his performance (a strong one) was broadcast, and I distinctly recall thinking that once again, depth of talent, that it would be a shame if he didn't get to experience as much international exposure as a senior competitor. Relatively speaking the opportunities seem greater in pairs, and he seems equipped to make the transition if he chose.

His short program at that event was my favourite performance of his, particularly because he was in The Group Of Death (I think the skate order for that group went Jeremy, Joshua, Lukas, Max...). He was the only one in that group with absolutely no shot at the Olympics, and everyone else looked nervous and tense, and then he came out and just lit it up. And then he was so excited because he skated clean.

He had a hip injury last year, as I understand it, but he posted a gorgeous triple flip on his instagram recently, so I hope we get a repeat happy performance at Nationals this time around!

andromache

Record Breaker
Reading in the Broadmoor Open thread that Nathan Chen did very well. I'm guessing he's (hopefully) much better from his injury last season. I think it might be a mistake if he indeed stays a junior this season. I'm still holding out hope he'll get that Skate America TBD spot.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm still holding out hope he'll get that Skate America TBD spot.

I'm not giving up on that hope either. I think with the retirement announcements of Carriere & Razzano, there's potential to impact what was probably an earlier decision, on Nathan's part, to stay in juniors. Maybe just wishful thinking . . .

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Nathan is healthy there is no reason to stay Junior. Even injured and deciding to skate right before they called his name he finished in the top 8 in a loaded field. Top 5 is easily doable even at only 16.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although according to Kori Ade's interview with TSL, she faced considerable pressure to stay junior with Jason in 2014 so the US could medal/win Junior Worlds. I wonder if Nathan will face the same pressure?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Although according to Kori Ade's interview with TSL, she faced considerable pressure to stay junior with Jason in 2014 so the US could medal/win Junior Worlds. I wonder if Nathan will face the same pressure?

I have a feeling they'll send him to Junior Worlds at least because the US already has a bunch of senior men who can compete top level right now, Jason, Joshua, Adam, Max (maybe Jeremy)... the Worlds team will probably come to a close battle. Also Shoma and Boyang are going senior so the USFSA might want Nathan to try to get a medal at JWC

andromache

Record Breaker
I have a feeling they'll send him to Junior Worlds at least because the US already has a bunch of senior men who can compete top level right now, Jason, Joshua, Adam, Max (maybe Jeremy)... the Worlds team will probably come to a close battle. Also Shoma and Boyang are going senior so the USFSA might want Nathan to try to get a medal at JWC

I wouldn't be surprised if the USFS is holding Nathan Chen back for Juniors. I'm not sure if it's better in the long run...there are a lot of very competitive men in seniors right now, but the added competition of Nathan should only make them work harder and make the competition better. It's the same sort of competition that makes the Russian ladies so good.

I say throw Nathan in the mix and let the best man win (and I really, really LOVE our US men. This isn't coming from a negative place.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan still doesn't have his 3a back, and he needs that to compete at the senior level. If he couldn't beat Shoma and Boyang at JW, he wouldn't be competitive with the top seniors anyway.

andromache

Record Breaker
Nathan still doesn't have his 3a back, and he needs that to compete at the senior level. If he couldn't beat Shoma and Boyang at JW, he wouldn't be competitive with the top seniors anyway.

He seemed to have it back at Broadmoor? I realize that's a smaller competition, but I'm not sure what qualifies as a jump being "back."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has quads, but not a consistent 3a, which he did have when he was younger (before his injury).

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if the USFS is holding Nathan Chen back for Juniors. I'm not sure if it's better in the long run...there are a lot of very competitive men in seniors right now, but the added competition of Nathan should only make them work harder and make the competition better. It's the same sort of competition that makes the Russian ladies so good.

I say throw Nathan in the mix and let the best man win (and I really, really LOVE our US men. This isn't coming from a negative place.)

Oh he'll definitely be in the mix Nationals wise but for the men who have been competing longer than he has they get higher PCS and are more experienced. They might do something like Japanese men if he places well at Nationals and send him to 4CC which is low pressure but good experience and then have him focus on JWC after.