Chan set to resume training | Golden Skate

Chan set to resume training

Taan

On the Ice
Chan set to resume training:cheer:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canada...-chan-set-resume-training-024453812--spt.html
Chan will kick off his summer training in Toronto with choreographer David Wilson. They will spend two weeks creating a new short programme and retooling the Chopin-backed long routine that Chan used to win the invitational Japan Open last year.

At Chan's training base in Detroit, his main coach will continue to be Kathy Johnson, who will commute periodically from her Kansas City, Missouri home.

"The work we've done together is phenomenal and it's been such a great experience. We've been talking constantly over the past year and we've made some comments as to how to change it up a bit and train in a different way that will benefit me."
:cheer: :)

samm22

On the Ice
This season just got a little bit better...I hope this encourages Mao to come back as well!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
And so it begins...This season just ended and Patrick's already keeping me at the edge of my seat with this! But I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with how David Wilson works with him, can somebody tell me if he has choreographed for Patrick before and which program was? Still having mixed feelings about him staying with Kathy but well, if he feels it's the best for him, ok :shrug:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well I still think he and Hanyu will be ahead of the field together, but I don't think his 3A somewhat magically can be improved. I don't think it's only technique problem. He seems to not feeel this jump at all and I guess it will be always somewhat hit and miss. He has strong 4T, but it would be better if he can get another quad type in competition ( don't know if this one is possible ).

Krunchii

Record Breaker
And so it begins...This season just ended and Patrick's already keeping me at the edge of my seat with this! But I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with how David Wilson works with him, can somebody tell me if he has choreographed for Patrick before and which program was? Still having mixed feelings about him staying with Kathy but well, if he feels it's the best for him, ok :shrug:

He's choreographed La Boheme and The Four Seasons for Patrick before, I don't think David has done a short program for him before, we'll see how it goes when the season starts, I did like his Chopin LP at Japan Open

and I agree with the mixed feelings on Kathy, I still feel he should get a real coach

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
He's choreographed La Boheme and The Four Seasons for Patrick before, I don't think David has done a short program for him before, we'll see how it goes when the season starts, I did like his Chopin LP at Japan Open

and I agree with the mixed feelings on Kathy, I still feel he should get a real coach

Thanks! Based on that, this SP will be something to look forward to :) And if I understood correctly, Kathy won't be with him full time since she's going to be in Kansas City? Not the best way to get back on track to full-time competing :unsure: but well it's Patrick, he is capable of pulling through.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Looking forward to this! I enjoy the current crop of men but Chan brought something extra in the artistry department. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

As for coaching, is he at a point where he doesn't need one full-time? That didn't quite work for Michelle Kwan when she went for the 2002 OGM. If Kathy Johnson is commuting, maybe he could get some training time with some of the ice dance coaches in Detroit?

anyanka

Record Breaker

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was waiting for you to post that ... ;)

Here's a more extensive article on it: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...o-return-to-skating-after-year-away-1.3046061. Interesting to note that the silver appears to haunt him. He seemed pretty happy at all of the medal ceremonies in Sochi despite being personally disappointed.

Although now that the "Canadian curse" of the men winning double silver has struck, his next step is to win gold. ;)

yup :) I hope people who don't appreciate him will realize how much of a complete skater he is... and if they don't, it's too bad but in the meantime, we will be blessed with more beautiful programs. I hope I will get to see him live at one point, didn't get lucky for Vancouver OG... as I didn't manage to secure a ticket... but we will see what i can do in the future :)

beki

Medalist
The Michelle example is good... How will he get everything back without a full-time coach? Seems like hubris.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Michelle example is good... How will he get everything back without a full-time coach? Seems like hubris.

Do you think it was hubris for Hanyu to get coaching from Orser via e-mail?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Do you think it was hubris for Hanyu to get coaching from Orser via e-mail?

I thought Hanyu did it for a couple of months only?

There were circumstances that made the "coaching by email" more of necessity than choice: Yuzuru was recovering from injury, and considering the time frame it made sense for him to train in Japan than go to Toronto and then take the long flight to Shanghai for Worlds.

Re Patrick, I have always admired his beautiful skating, and I think his return makes for an exciting season in figure skating.

beki

Medalist
I was just hoping Chan would use every possible tool to succeed, it seems like he's creating an uphill battle for himself. Time will tell.